Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:47 pm

Heh... guess Ubuntu is more different from Fedora than I thought.

*sigh*

IMO diversity is simultaneously one of the greatest strengths, and one of the biggest stumbling blocks of Linux.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

golfmore
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:22 am

Thanks for that help. I will do this later this morning.

golfmore
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:59 am

Bitvector, I did what you described. Reset the password, worked fine. But still gives me the "Username.................... error." I must have tried 50 usernames. Any way to change or reset the username? Thanks again...

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:45 am

golfmore wrote:
Bitvector, I did what you described. Reset the password, worked fine. But still gives me the "Username.................... error." I must have tried 50 usernames. Any way to change or reset the username? Thanks again...

Yes, you can now log in as root and add/modify user information, etc. If the user account you want exists, just log in as root and type "passwd <account name>" and it will let you change that user's password. To find out what username you possibly used, type:
cat /etc/passwd | grep 1000
or
getent passwd 1000

That will show you the line in the passwd file for the user with a userid of 1000, which is the default starting user ID for the first account on Debian/Ubuntu systems (JBI, here's another subtle difference -- Fedora starts uids at 500 instead!). It is a bunch of stuff separated by colons, with the very first thing being the username.

Now, if the user account doesn't exist at all, type "adduser <account name>" and it will set up a new account.

golfmore
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:48 am

Thanks for the help. I (again , know nothing about Linux) assume logging onto the root is the process you described earlier to reset the password?

If I use 'passwd' it just wants a new password. How do I recognize the username? Sorry for the confusion, but I am confused.

Will try this this AM

golfmore
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:12 am

Well BitVector, it worked. I am now in Linux.... I have set the username and password to something fairly generic. I assume I can change this using the same methods? Will do a little more sophisticated one later.

Thanks for the help. (Still don't have much of an idea what I'm doing. )

golfmore
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:18 am

I may install this again and eliminate the W2000 totally. That will give me more disk space to play with. It is telling me now that I am low. This laptop is a 233 with 128m of RAM. An old Compaq.

golfmore
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:09 am

When I installed the 7.04, it asked about size of partitions (?) . I chose max. It is now telling me that I am running out of space. (On the laptop.) There is one that is 1.9 gb. It is red and marginally useful. Is there a way to resize within Ubuntu?

If I do the install to my Desktop with XP Pro, it wants me to select a percentage of HDD space. I have over 100 gigs left. Whats a good number to use so I don't run out of space?

golfmore
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:31 am

Then I tried to put 7.04b on my desktop. Installed except didn't have the Grub, and it would default to XP. Put in a 6.1 live CD and went to the terminal. Tried to do everything to get the Grub working. It finally said "no OS found". Redid the HDD back to XP only. Out of energy here now. May try again later today.Thanks.

It actually did a suggested disk size (partition) and I let it go with that. It asked if I wanted grub to be installed to the MBR, said yes. However, it does not go to Grub, it just boots to XP Pro.

I first put it on a laptop with W2K. Seemed to work fine.

forkart
Gerbil In Training

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:27 am

golfmore wrote:
What do I use to burn it with? I have Nero 7. If I boot with it, will it install on my HDD, or run from the CD?

You can use magiciso to burn iso file to cd. It is also a good iso creator. You may try it out.
http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-burnwin.htm