Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

iamajai
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Speedfan equivalent for Ubuntu/Linux?

Tue May 01, 2007 5:43 pm

Qualifier: I am a complete Linux neophyte.

I am in the process of installing Ubuntu 7.04 to get my feet wet in the Linux world and see what all the fuss is about. Not to mention try the Linux SMP client...

I regularly use speedfan 4.32 to control fan speeds in Windows XP. Is there an equivalent utility for Linux or will I have to resort to my motherboard's lackluster fan speed control?

Cheers.
Acer AO521, Asus EEE2G, and an e6300 (EP45-DS3L, 4GB Corsair, 320GB 7200.10, EVGA GT250, Corsair VX450W and Samsung 2043BW)

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue May 01, 2007 5:54 pm

The lm-sensors package has basic fan/temperature monitoring and control applications and is the basis for many graphical apps. I'm pretty sure Ubuntu has some GTK fan and temperature monitoring widgets that you can add to your panels (the sensors-applet package), but I'm not sure if it lets you control fan speeds or just look at them. The commandline lm-sensors tools (pwmconfig) can control the fan speed and you can probably bind applet actions to run the appropriate commands.

Check out the fan control sections on the Ubuntu Guide.

Marsolin
Gerbil In Training

Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:24 am

KSensors and GKrellM are both front-ends to lm-sensors if you want to have a graphical monitor.