Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

hex42
Gerbil
Topic Author

partition for linux?

Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:34 pm

i'm going to put linux on my laptop as the primary os, but i want to keep windows on so i can use certain programs like word, or so i can play starcraft. i'm just wondering how to partition the hard drive so i give most of the space to linux but keep windows there. does the partitioner that comes with Ubuntu 7.04 have that capability? or do i have to set up a partition with windows?

Plinth
Gerbil

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:36 pm

I think it would be easier to install Windows first and use the partitioner in the Windows installer, and then install Ubuntu. I say this because GRUB is very good at automatically configuring itself, at least compared to the Windows bootloader, and also because the Windows partitioner is much simpler to use than the one in Ubuntu. If you want to keep a current install of Windows, there is a tool in Ubuntu you could use from LiveCD mode to modify your partitions, I think it's called Gparted but I'm not completely sure about that...

enigma59
Gerbil

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:15 pm

Yes the Ubuntu LiveCD comes with GParted which allows you to modify your partitions (System->Administration->GNOME Partition Editor). Also if you up for the challenge (if you know a little about linux) I suggest putting /boot, /, and /home all on different partitions, the reason for putting /home on a different partition is if you chose a different distribution you can use the same /home partition, the same for the /boot partition, Also don't forget linux needs a swap space (I'm not too sure about how to choose the right size, but I did 256Mb for 1 Gb of RAM). And now the primary reason why I replied to this thread, Starcraft can be played on Ubuntu 7.04 by using WINE (there are some display errors on battle.net but other than that it is perfect) and I think Microsoft Word works under WINE aswell.