Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

Bruce
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Redhat update question

Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:18 am

Howdy folks,

I have a question for experienced Redhat administrators. I have a 7.1 machine running kernel 2.4.9-34 that I would like to upgrade to 2.4.18-19, but first I want to test the upgrade procedure (if I toast this production box I'm in big trouble). So I thought I'd build a test 7.1 box with 2.4.9-34, but I cannot find the 2.4.9-34 RPM's anywhere - as they've been superseded, Redhat have pulled them from their FTP site. Does anyone know where to find outdated Redhat packages?

Thanks,
Bruce

ANApex
Gerbil XP

Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:51 pm

Since it's a production system I wouldn't worry about upgrading unless you absolutely need something the new kernel offers. Especially since it seems like you would catch hell for screwing it up.

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:58 pm

I'm not sure about 7.1 but with 8 when you updgrade the kernel it would place a extra boot option for that kernel in the lilo.conf file. You can boot to the new one or the old one.

ANApex
Gerbil XP

Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:10 pm

Glad to hear that RH 8 handles LILO better, from my experience with the 7 series of RH is that if you weren't running GRUB the kernel upgrade wouldn't add the extra line successfully. You can of course still go in and manually add the entries to LILO.

Bruce
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:55 pm

Thanks guys.

ANApex: the upgrade is to fix a ext2 file system bug, and is important to this system (it requires fortnightly reboots otherwise). And dolemite, the 2.4.18- series kernels require a different modutils package, making booting 2.4.9- a potential problem (but this is exactly what I want to test). I've done plenty of upgrades on 7.1 and 7.3, but never this particular version jump - I really need to test it, and have unfortunately deleted the 2.4.9-34 packages that I had on my ftp site. Anyone know where I can find these older packages?

Thanks,
Bruce

element
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:10 pm

Can't you just do a bzdisk instead of a bzimage? This copies the kernel to a floppy instead of directly to the harddisk, so you can test if it boots successfully with a floppy. If it does, you can copy the kernel from the floppy in its place.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image." -- Stephen Hawking

Bruce
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:19 am

I could, but it's not a complete test - I want to thoroughly test on a separate box first, making sure I don't need to update other components (glibc, for example).

Bruce