Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

The SplashTop Linux (5 second boot?)

Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:41 pm

What about this, i'm waiting to see the usefulness of this..

From a review of the p5e3 Deluxe boad...
Embedded onto the P5E3 Deluxe is a Linux environment that features a Firefox-rebranded web browser and the Skype VoIP client! Within five seconds of turning on this $360 USD gaming/enthusiast motherboard, you can be using Linux and surfing the Internet...SplashTop. SplashTop is an instant-on Linux desktop being created by DeviceVM. SplashTop isn't even launching for a few more days (October 10),

I'm actually excited to see how this turns out. Supposed to be an instant-on platform but there's really not much else out about it. Comes out in a few days, i'll probly give it a boot slot.[/quote]
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:07 pm

Urgh, I don't like it, I want my mobo as agnostic as possible, I don't want it getting near my OS or software.
Damn the torpedoes , full speed ahead.

AMD X2 4200+, Asus A8N-E, 3GBs of RAM, 7900GS

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:16 pm

king_kilr wrote:
Urgh, I don't like it, I want my mobo as agnostic as possible, I don't want it getting near my OS or software.
So don't run that OS.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:17 pm

As long as it is something you can disable with a BIOS setting, I don't really see the harm (other than the fact that it probably adds a few bucks to the price of the mobo). As the cost of flash storage comes down, I think we'll see more stuff like this; we're actually experimenting at work with booting embedded devices using a (mostly) stock Linux distro stored on a flash memory device.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:21 pm

just brew it! wrote:
As long as it is something you can disable with a BIOS setting, I don't really see the harm (other than the fact that it probably adds a few bucks to the price of the mobo). As the cost of flash storage comes down, I think we'll see more stuff like this; we're actually experimenting at work with booting embedded devices using a (mostly) stock Linux distro stored on a flash memory device.
Seems really useful to me. If you screw up your OS or have your boot device go south you can still boot the system, troubleshoot, get your data off, do everyday things, etc. without hassling around with keeping a livecd around or something.

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:23 pm

mattsteg wrote:
king_kilr wrote:
So don't run that OS.
Right, and what happens when mobo manufacturers start demanding cash for OSes to be able to, "fully take advantage" of them?

Turkina
Gerbil Elite

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:24 pm

I was just searching for info on this earlier today (cuz I read the P5E review)...
Their website is very lacking, and the demo videos wouldnt load...but I think this could be a great tool for debugging issues. But what I really like about this platform is the potential it has for small mobile internet clients - with the integrated web browser and skype it could be a nice VoIP handset OS.
~Turkina

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:25 pm

king_kilr wrote:
Right, and what happens when mobo manufacturers start demanding cash for OSes to be able to, "fully take advantage" of them?

Huh? I have no idea what you're getting at here.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:29 pm

mattsteg wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Seems really useful to me. If you screw up your OS or have your boot device go south you can still boot the system, troubleshoot, get your data off, do everyday things, etc. without hassling around with keeping a livecd around or something.

Yea that's what i'm thinking. That and Turkina's post, it'd be a nice umpc solution in my opinion, of course that depends on how feature full it turns out to be.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:33 pm

just brew it! wrote:
king_kilr wrote:

It doesn't seem like a large step from having linux built in, to going to Microsoft and saying, if you want to be able to take advantage of this fork over the cash.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:36 pm

king_kilr wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
king_kilr wrote:

It doesn't seem like a large step from having linux built in, to going to Microsoft and saying, if you want to be able to take advantage of this fork over the cash.
Huh?

I'm sorry, but you're way off base here.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:37 pm

king_kilr wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
king_kilr wrote:

I don't understand either...
When drunk.....

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:38 pm

meh its on an asus motherboard so i will never use it and i just keep a live cd around for trouble shooting and data recovery so i dont really see the point in this.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:42 pm

king_kilr wrote:

Take advantage of what? Windows (XP or Vista) is too big to be embedded like that. It might work if we're talking Windows CE. I'm sure if MS offered up free (or nearly so) copies of Windows CE, Asus would be willing to consider it.

I still don't see what the issue is here. Yes, Asus is a dominant player in the mobo market... but MS is much bigger. Bill Gates could buy Asus with his pocket change.

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:46 pm

I can see I'm outnumbered here(and I'm not doing a good job of articulating myself, damn you posting under the influence of chocolate chips), I just get leery whenever the software guys and the hardware guys get too chummy.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:47 pm

It's not like microsoft is going to hire ninjas to sneak into your home, install windows on memory embedded on your motherboard, and force you to pay for it.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:48 pm

king_kilr wrote:
I can see I'm outnumbered here(and I'm not doing a good job of articulating myself, damn you posting under the influence of chocolate chips), I just get leery whenever the software guys and the hardware guys get too chummy.
Heaven forbid we have software run on our hardware!

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:54 pm

Having memtest86 built into my motherboard is pretty nifty for testing new parts/overclocks.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:04 pm

king_kilr wrote:

I still have no clue what you're so bent about.

It's a lightweight embedded Linux-derived OS (and a few apps) that boots from flash. It's never gonna replace a full-blown OS, and quite frankly its chances of making a perceptible dent in Windows' market share is just barely better than nil. If Asus decided to make it difficult to run Windows on this mobo, then this mobo would be a complete failure in the marketplace. Fact of life.

It's like complaining that the 3 dozen or so eco-geeks out there who run their cars on used fryer grease are going to put the big oil companies out of business.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:08 pm

just brew it! wrote:
king_kilr wrote:

I still have no clue what you're so bent about.

It's a lightweight embedded Linux-derived OS (and a few apps) that boots from flash. It's never gonna replace a full-blown OS, and quite frankly its chances of making a perceptible dent in Windows' market share is just barely better than nil. If Asus decided to make it difficult to run Windows on this mobo, then this mobo would be a complete failure in the marketplace. Fact of life.

It's like complaining that the 3 dozen or so eco-geeks out there who run their cars on used fryer grease are going to put the big oil companies out of business.

Lol...Mcdonald's fuels my car..
When drunk.....

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:20 pm

True, but what if they started shipping a specific distro with the mobo?

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:27 pm

king_kilr wrote:
Then it would come with an OS. OH, THE HORROR!

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:28 pm

king_kilr wrote:

Lol, which free linux costs more?
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:37 pm

king_kilr wrote:

Then it moves into a grey area between bare mobo, and pre-built system with a pre-installed OS. At that point, there are two ways it could go:

- If the pre-installed OS is easy to bypass, then it's largely irrelevant. Anyone who doesn't want it simply won't use it.

- If it's not easy to bypass or replace, then the only people who will buy this mobo are people who really want to run that distro, and nothing else. The product will have a minuscule niche market, and will almost surely disappear with barely a trace. The huge financial losses associated with attempting to launch such a boneheaded product would convince Asus not to do it again.

You seem to believe that Asus has enough clout to dictate which desktop OS people use. Quite frankly, this is delusional.