Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

wingless
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mandrake 2007 x64 and nforce4 audio/X-fi: Neither works

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:28 pm

I have Mandrake 2007 x64 and an Nforce4 motherboard with nvidia audio + an X-Fi 64mb sound card. I tried to install the Creative Linux 64bit drivers for the X-Fi but the installer simply said the driver is for a 64bit OS and cannot install. Is my Konsole defaulting to a 32-bit runtime environment or something? Is there a way to switch it to 64-bit mode if it is? I installed the 64-bit Mandrake and I have proof since other 64-bit drivers install.

Also my onboard audio doesn't seem to work either. When I installed Mandrake I had the onboard disabled so it wasn't auto-detected during install. I enabled it after I couldn't get my X-Fi to work and used the "nvaudio" driver option under Harddrake hardware setup. It still wouldn't install.

What do I have to do to get the X-Fi drivers to work? Or what do I have to do to get the nforce4 onboard audio drivers to install?

I'm a linux noob (obviously) and I have to conquer the hurdle of driver installation before I can level up in my linux ability so any advice is much appreciated.
Intel Core i7 2600K | 16GB DDR3-2133 | ASUS P8Z77-V Pro | Silverstone 750W | ASUS Strix GTX 980 OC | ASUS Xonar DSX/S.M.S.L. M2 USB DAC | Samsung 840 Pro | A bunch of HDDs and a lot of TBs.

drsauced
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:39 pm

They are aware of the X-Fi problem here:

Sound Card: Any Sound Blaster-compatible card and AC97™ please note that Creative Labs X-Fi cards are not currently supported

I'm not sure about the NF4 bit, but a quick search of their forums doesn't reveal much...
Calm seas never made a skilled mariner. But, sadly I'm an A's fan.

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:43 am

I would try to get the NF4 audio working first. The binary, 64-bit only X-Fi driver may be a huge pain to get working if it has kernel version dependencies, etc.

Try running a mixer first (something like Kmix) and see if you have any detected sound devices that you have mixer controls for. If it hasn't been configured by the installer, most of the time all of the outputs start out muted and turned down to 0%. You can also run the command "alsamixer" and see what the output is. If you get an error that alsamixer is not found, check to see if the alsa-utils package is installed.

After checking the first items, you might want to try running alsaconf (also in the alsa-utils package). Note that you'll have to run alsaconf as root. If none of those work, we'll have to dig deeper.