Video Codecs for SuSE 10 SP1?

Where Penguins and Daemons chill together in the warmth of the Sun.

Moderators: SecretSquirrel, notfred

Video Codecs for SuSE 10 SP1?

Postposted on Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:32 pm

Where I can I get codecs for SuSE 10 SP1 so I can play windows-style media formats like .avi's and .mpg's? SuSE works great but I don't have any damn codecs to watch any video format. Is there a codec pack like the CCCProject out there for Linux or the SuSE distro in particular?
Intel Core i7 2600K | 16GB DDR3-2133 | ASUS P8Z77-V Pro | PCP&C 750w | Gigabyte GTX 760 | Fatality X-Fi | Samsung 840 Pro | RAID0 2xWD 750GB Caviar Blacks | TV Wonder HD 650 PCIe
wingless
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:28 pm

Since you say you're using SP1, that means you're using the 60 day trial/pay version of SUSE? It's probably going to be harder to find supported packages of that kind for that version of SUSE versus openSUSE, since they are targeted at quite different audiences. For instance, read this post which details how SLES/SLED users may piece together media and other packages from older openSUSE repositories (SLES 10 roughly corresponds to openSUSE 10.1 and I don't know if SP1 changes that). *

If you were using OpenSUSE, you'd follow these instructions for one-click addition of the restricted formats:
http://opensuse-community.org/Restricted_Formats

* It's critical to understand the use cases for different distros. If you want to do media stuff and have cutting edge driver support and features, you want to stick with a distro that is dedicated to that sort of usage. It's not that you can't add these software packages to the Novell supported version, it's that you'll end up having to build a lot of software by hand or scavenge packages from all over (e.g. like the linked blog post shows). Since certain media-decoding related stuff is generally not included directly in any distro (due to legal issues), you rely on external repositories run by users (like Medibuntu for Ubuntu, Marillat for Debian, ATrpms/FreshRPMS/DAG for Fedora, Penguin Liberation Front for Mandriva and opensuse-community for OpenSUSE). If there's not a critical mass of users, you have to do it yourself. There may be a nice correspondence between openSUSE and SLED/SLES versions that makes it trivial, but with RHEL/Fedora there are enough subtle differences to make that kind of cross installation tricky. I can't advise on the SUSE-specific cross-installation situation, and the comments on the blog post linked above indicate you might run into dependency trouble with SP1.

See, SLES/SLED (SUSE Linux Enterprise {Server, Desktop}) versus OpenSUSE is like RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) versus Fedora. Just like Red Hat, Novell takes a smaller core of stable packages from openSUSE they want to support (from an older, stabilized version) and cuts the rest. Red Hat even removes drivers they don't want to support from their "enterprise" kernels (like all Firewire support, for example). Also another thing with "enterprise"/commercial distros is that they tend to use older kernels, older software, etc. because their customers value stability and testing over features. It's similar to how enterprises will stay with older version of Windows long after most home users have switched.
bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Return to Linux, Unix, and Assorted Madness