Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Linux firefox middle button...

Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:41 am

On the Linux machines that I use at school (some CentOS, some Sun type of OS) the middle button in firefox doesn't work the way it does on the windows machines. With it on windows machines, when you click the middle button in the middle of the page it allow you a little scroll thing. On windows, when you click the middle button on a tab it closes the window. On the linux side, it opens a new tab with whatever highlighted text you had highlighted and searches for it on google. Is there a way to change it so that it behaves the way the windows version does?

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:02 pm

If you middle click the tab you are on it closes it, otherwise it scrolls. You should be able to map your mouse to do what you want within windows, though it likely depends on the mouse software.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:09 pm

pete_roth wrote:
If you middle click the tab you are on it closes it, otherwise it scrolls. You should be able to map your mouse to do what you want within windows, though it likely depends on the mouse software.
He wants to alter behavior in linux.

Nitrodist - in X middle-clicking means "paste highlighted text. When you highlight text and middle click the program interprets that as pasting that text into the browser.

in about:config there's an option for "middlemouse.paste" that's false in windows. Perhaps the answer to your question lies there or somewhere similar.

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:14 pm

middlemouse.contentLoadURL

When I change that to false, it disables the search function, so that's one problem down. Now when I click, it just doesn't do anything. Any more suggestions?

edit: got it... thanks for the help guys:

from Xenoveritas

....window and set "general.autoScroll" to true.

And that enables the scroll thingie :P
Last edited by Nitrodist on Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:18 pm

Nitrodist wrote:

When I change that to false, it disables the search function, so that's one problem down. Now when I click, it just doesn't do anything. Any more suggestions?
Try general.autoscroll (or again, similar settings). If that fails, the "all in one gestures" extension that I normally use includes alternative autoscroll implementations (along with a bunch of other stuff making this a sledgehammer/mosquito solution). One of these options will likely work.

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:19 pm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:18 am Post subject:

mattsteg wrote:
Nitrodist wrote:

Try general.autoscroll (or again, similar settings). If that fails, the "all in one gestures" extension that I normally use includes alternative autoscroll implementations (along with a bunch of other stuff making this a sledgehammer/mosquito solution). One of these options will likely work.

Last edited by Nitrodist on Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total

edit: got it... thanks for the help guys:

from Xenoveritas

....window and set "general.autoScroll" to true.

And that enables the scroll thingie :P

Beat you to it!