Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

nForce Professional 3600 compatibility

Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:35 pm

Any experiences (pro or con) using this chipset for a Linux server build?

We're looking at putting together a server at work, possibly based on an Asus M2N-LR motherboard, and I'm curious regarding whether anyone else here has tried building a Linux server using a motherboard based on this chipset. Distro will likely be Debian; not one of my strengths (I'm more of a Redhat/Fedora guy), but we recently hired a Linux guru and Debian's his distro of choice, so... :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Re: nForce Professional 3600 compatibility

Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:08 am

Not tried that specific chipset, but I run Debian on other nForce chipsets with no problems. The sata_nv and the forcedeth modules should handle the storage and ethernet controllers, if not it's probably just a case of adding the PCI IDs to them. nVidia tends to use standard blocks and combine them in to different chipsets.

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: nForce Professional 3600 compatibility

Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:22 pm

That board has Broadcom ethernet, not Nvidia, so it'll probably be using tg3 rather than forcedeth.

Also, does anyone else find it mildly ironic that the onboard video on that nVidia board is ATI? There's really a lot of diversity on that model: AMD processor, nVidia chipset, Intel 64-bit PCI hub and ATI graphics.

Two years ago I had an Opteron workstation built on an earlier revision of the nForce Pro chipset. I tend to avoid nVidia motherboard chipsets personally, but they tend to have decent Linux support.