Linux gaming on PS3?

Where Penguins and Daemons chill together in the warmth of the Sun.

Moderators: SecretSquirrel, notfred

Linux gaming on PS3?

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:52 pm

Has anyone managed to get Doom 3, Quake, or some other well known, well supported game to run on the PS3 while in Linux? Just curious.
Draal
Gerbil First Class

Re: Linux gaming on PS3?

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:59 pm

While there have been ports, none of it is fully hardware accelerated as for as i know. At this time the RSX engine is feed and controlled by the reserved spu which is partitioned off by the ps3 core os.

someone else correct me if i am wrong.. but untill someone cracks the core firmware and exposes all the hardware without a hypervisor we wont see any truly pc-ish hardware acceleration.
Cybert said: Capitlization and periods are hard for you, aren't they? I've given over $100 to techforums. I should have you banned for my money.
maxxcool
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:24 pm

How awesome would it be if you could play those games via PS3 Linux? Dang.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:39 pm

maxxcool wrote:someone else correct me if i am wrong.. but untill someone cracks the core firmware and exposes all the hardware without a hypervisor we wont see any truly pc-ish hardware acceleration.

No correction necessary. Sony doesn't even expose all parts of the Cell Broadband Engine. According to what I looked up on Wikipedia, it *was* possible to expose the RSX to Linux with firmware version 2.10 and earlier.

If you HAVEN'T tried Linux on PS3, it's surprisingly usable. Yellow Dog 6.0 includes a flash wrapper so most Flash content works pretty well in Firefox and even includes MOL (Mac on Linux) should you want to try to get Mac OS 9.04 and earlier running. 3D gaming, OTOH, seems limited to MesaGL.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Return to Linux, Unix, and Assorted Madness