Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Virus protection in Linux

Sun May 11, 2008 8:58 am

What virus programs do you guys use in Linux? I finally ditched the Ubuntu Live CD for the Wubi install thank to the FNT, but now that it's actually running on my hard drive and I can do stuff on it, I think virus protection is a good idea. I know there are relatively few viruses for Linux, but surely it's a good idea?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Virus protection in Linux

Sun May 11, 2008 9:35 am

ClamAV is free & in Ubuntu's repositories. It doesn't sit in memory & intercept, but it does on-demand scanning. I seem to recall that AVG's got a Linux version, though I don't remember if that's free.

Really what you've got to worry about is being a carrier of Windows viruses.

As long as you're not silly enough to run random packages downloaded from someone's disreputable-looking website (though I haven't had a problem), and don't run as root (which Ubuntu doesn't by default), and don't run a terminal command that a random person tells you to (a command you don't understand), you should be fine. Ah, and don't have an obvious username/password; I occasionally get bots that try to SSH into my computer from the Internet with lists of users/passwords to attempt.

No worries.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Hellsbellboy
Gerbil Jedi

Sun May 11, 2008 4:35 pm

I too am using Ubuntu as of Friday night. So far just running Pidgin and Firefox. Have printing set up to work over the network between the Ubuntu Desktop PC and a Ubuntu Laptop.

While setting it up I've run a lot of 'commands' that I don't really understand while trying to get my SoundBlaster Live working (which I finally did) and also to get Compiz Fusion running. Linux and Ubuntu are both new environments for me as I've mainly used Windows and pre OSX OSes. So any advice would be great.. ie Firewalls, Anti Virus, etc.

Dirge
Gerbil Jedi

Sun May 11, 2008 4:59 pm

The Ubuntu 8.04 Documentation Page is a good starting point. Check the section Keeping Your Computer Safe. As I understand it there is no need for a virus scanner on Linux other than to intercept Windows viruses you may unwittingly pass on through email etc.
FDISK /MBR

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun May 11, 2008 6:16 pm

WRT firewalls, I just rely on my Linksys router's & don't install daemons (background processes) that aren't needed[1]. There's a package called Firestarter that may be of interest.

I can suggest opening up Synaptic and browsing through the sections & packages. Look for stuff that seems of interest to you and install it. You can always remove it later. ubuntu-restricted-extras will install Flash, Java, codecs, &c that are useful for the Internet. They're not installed by default due to licensing restrictions. Thunderbird is available, but the default email program is Evolution, which is meant to compete with Outlook.

Lots of sources for HOWTOs and so on, like the Linux Documentation Project, Linux Weekly News, the Linux Journal. Don't miss ubuntuforums, the regulars are helpful.

[1] The only public-facing daemon I'm running is sshd, so that I can log in from outside. I also run fail2ban to slow down those damnable bots, since it will write a temporary firewall rule to block a host that fails logins more than a configurable # of times in a certain period.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Hellsbellboy
Gerbil Jedi

Sun May 11, 2008 7:06 pm

Thank you for the information. So far except for a few hiccups, I'm loving it. It response so much faster and these days, besides playing World of Warcraft, I'm just using a IM, Thunderbird, Firefox and Open Office. I have no reason to use Windows XP or Vista anymore. All my work related applications are online and done through my browser.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sun May 11, 2008 9:12 pm

Don't worry about virii, worry about rootkits. Similar idea, but very different mechanism. As earlier noted, don't run commands you don't understand or haven't researched, and don't run executables from strangers/strange websites and you'll be just fine. You won't get a virus per se in Linux unless you're really trying hard.

As also noted earlier in the thread, you can transport/carry Windows virii without noticing, though. I once had a bad no-cd (used to be nearly *required* to run any games under Linux) infect me. It infected wine and the program itself only, however, since it kept trying to infect a Windows install that didn't exist.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun May 11, 2008 9:20 pm

"virii" isn't a word, godsdamnit. That'd be plural for "virius".

Pretentious pseudo-Latin: just say no.
{/peeve}
Hakkaa päälle!

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sun May 11, 2008 9:48 pm

bthylafh wrote:

{/peeve}

Excuse please, vira. I was not aware my Latin was to be judged.

Yer loonix boxen no be getten on none dat shizzle, fo sho.

Are we done now? :P :P
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun May 11, 2008 10:17 pm

'Twill do, 'tis sufficient. :D
Hakkaa päälle!

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon May 12, 2008 8:55 am

Although I don't run antivirus under Linux for the reasons Forge listed above, Avast! does seem to offer a Linux version of their antivirus. I've never tried it, but it can't be half bad as their windows product is excellent.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed May 14, 2008 12:30 pm

Forge wrote:
bthylafh wrote:

{/peeve}

Excuse please, vira. I was not aware my Latin was to be judged.

Yer loonix boxen no be getten on none dat shizzle, fo sho.

Are we done now? :P :P

Actually, there really isn't a plural form of virus in Latin since the word virus is used to represent something that couldn't be counted; it's already in plural form. Viruses is, however, recognized as a proper plural form of virus in the English language. I'm pretty sure the original Latin speakers didn't know that there are many different kinds of viruses.

So, just use viruses.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.