HAL2300 Suggest a live distro

Where Penguins and Daemons chill together in the warmth of the Sun.

Moderators: SecretSquirrel, notfred

HAL2300 Suggest a live distro

Postposted on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:31 pm

Being the king of cheap I couldn't pass up a poweredge 2300. $10 bought me a hernia, 2 P3-500s , 512mb ram and no hdds.

I don't think I'll be able to find a hard drive, so is there a distro that will allow me to access a network drive so that I can access music off my main box to my garage?. I am going to team this up with a powerful 14" monitor and a soundblaster soundcard.

Is there a way to configure the live cd so I don't have to configure a home network connection every time I boot?

Or is there a solution I'm not thinking of, or should I not even try.

I am posting from the mighty box now in knoppix 3.1
Coran Fixx
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: HAL2300 Suggest a live distro

Postposted on Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:15 pm

Coran Fixx wrote:Is there a way to configure the live cd so I don't have to configure a home network connection every time I boot?
Well, Knoppix will automatically send out DHCP requests on interfaces it finds, so you could set your network's DHCP server to provide a fixed IP to that MAC address each time. That would take care of the network configuration, but services are another matter. For example, Knoppix does not start up sshd by default without interaction (because the user accounts are locked with no passwords). You could remaster the LiveCD to have all of the settings you want, though.

Coran Fixx wrote:Or is there a solution I'm not thinking of, or should I not even try.
Well, there are many ways to skin this cat. You could:
* Remaster a LiveCD to come up the way you want
* PXE boot the system with a network image
For the latter you could use a ramdisk root filesystem for a small configuration or an NFS root for larger set-ups (or ramdisk and NFS root with unionFS). Or you could CD boot the system but still use an NFS root if you don't want to set up a PXE DHCP server and TFTP for the boot images. Also look at DRBL.

Network boot is more flexible and quicker to modify, but the advantage of remastering live CDs is that you don't need to have the extra services running elsewhere (TFTP, NFS, etc.) to bring up the machine.
bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Return to Linux, Unix, and Assorted Madness