AMD, ATI drivers?

Where Penguins and Daemons chill together in the warmth of the Sun.

Moderators: SecretSquirrel, notfred

AMD, ATI drivers?

Postposted on Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:33 pm

Can't get hardy heron(32bit) video to work on 690g board with ati video card. Neither onboard nor discrete ati 1650 pro card works. Is this a known problem that I should have investigated beforehand?
Or have I just goofed up the installation?
todd
Gerbil XP

Re: AMD, ATI drivers?

Postposted on Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:44 pm

Is it the open source driver (radeon) or the proprietary driver (fglrx)?

Also "doesn't work" is a very vague description, is it "doesn't work" as in X never starts up, direct rendering doesn't work, or is there some sort of error message that gets spit out?

If you open up a terminal window and type
dmesg
it will spit out a bunch of information, to narrow down the output you can do something like
dmesg | grep "ati"
which will only output lines that have the string ati in them (try replacing ati with such things as fglrx or radeon). Also in the path /var/log there will be a file called Xorg.0.log which contains information from X
enigma59
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:49 pm

Just out of curiosity, which processor are you using> I would think that if you are using a board with the 690G chipset, then the proc. is a 64-bit one and you should be installing the AMD-64 OS??? I highly doubt that they have a 32-bit version???
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

Darth Lex-idius vs. Obi Lex kanobi
lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:18 pm

What are you talking about lexington? This is a simple case of Linux not using the correct driver and him needing to configure it correctly. It's a known issue.
I7 3820, 16 GB of ram, 240 gig corsiar nuetron, radeon 7950 boost, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
128 GB surface pro
thecoldanddarkone

Postposted on Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:47 pm

I am talking about the OP's first few words of him not being able to get a 32bit version of Hardy Heron working.

Am I a Linux expert? . . . . . . not in this lifetime, but I have suggested the gigabyte 690G-S2H board to 15 people that wanted to try out Linux on the side, and no one has had a problem with the graphics - only sound over HDMI.

So I am asking about he OS itself - why not install the 64-bit OS that was meant for 64-bit machines? If the OP is using an older 32-bit processor on an AM2 board (which I thought AMD had done away with a long time ago . . . . . did they even make 32-bit processors that could be used in an AM2 board?), then I understand the using of a 32-bit OS. For all I know, it may not have nothing to do with the graphics, but with the kernel itself.

Is the graphics working before you install the proprietary drivers?
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

Darth Lex-idius vs. Obi Lex kanobi
lex-ington

Return to Linux, Unix, and Assorted Madness