TechReport garbled fonts in Firefox on Ubuntu Hardy

Where Penguins and Daemons chill together in the warmth of the Sun.

Moderators: SecretSquirrel, notfred

TechReport garbled fonts in Firefox on Ubuntu Hardy

Postposted on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:42 am

Hey guys, I just checked back in on Ubuntu the other day and have been enjoying the experience so far. Question, though -- when I access the front page of TechReport, I see a bunch of garbled fonts and I'm not quite sure why that is. I've seen them in a few other random places throughout the web, but off-hand I don't remember where, and didn't really think much of them at the time because the websites were not of any importance to me. At the very least, this implies that it's something on my end or perhaps something with Ubuntu (the page looks fine on Firefox in OS X, XP, and Vista of course). Here's what I'm looking at:

Any ideas how to fix that? I do have the Microsoft fonts installed, if that makes a difference.

A second and unrelated but still annoying issue I've run into with Firefox on Ubuntu is that it doesn't seem to read my userChrome.css file properly. I'm trying to implement this fix to remove those ugly space-wasting down arrows in my Bookmarks Toolbar folders (which you can see in the above screenshot), but Firefox just seems to be ignoring my newly-created userChrome.css file entirely. The file lives at the following path:

Code: Select all
/home/kalibar/.mozilla/firefox/1xxxxxxx.default/chrome/userChrome.css

...but Firefox just seems to ignore it.

Any help on either of these issues would be super-appreciated. Thanks!
kalibar
Gerbil

Re: TechReport garbled fonts in Firefox on Ubuntu Hardy

Postposted on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:51 am

That is very odd, I do not see those font issues when viewing TR's home page using Firefox on Ubuntu. It all looks pretty normal when I run it.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:26 am

False alarm, it would seem. I just removed and re-installed "Microsoft Core Fonts" from Add/Remove Programs and that seemed to fix it -- TR's frontpage looks great now.

Still no headway on the second issue yet. Could be related to 64-bit, I'm using the AMD64 version of Linux. Maybe 32-bit Firefox will work.
kalibar
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:45 am

kalibar wrote:Still no headway on the second issue yet. Could be related to 64-bit, I'm using the AMD64 version of Linux. Maybe 32-bit Firefox will work.

I remember reading somewhere that it is recommended to stick with the 32 bit version of Firefox because there are still issues with the 64 bit version in Linux. If I can find it, I'll let you know.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.
titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Return to Linux, Unix, and Assorted Madness