Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Virtual Linux

Sun Mar 16, 2003 9:28 pm

My friend Jacob just is installing RedHat 7.1 on his older computer. The catch is that he’s using Virtual PC to do it. Since he has an older version of RedHat whenever he tries to setup his X Configuration something always goes wrong after installation. That is whenever he tries the command startx. The older version of RedHat doesn’t support his GeForce 3, so this time he skipped the X Configuration. Now he’s stuck trying to figure out how to setup X Configuration in the text mode. I suggested that he downloads the Nvidia driver for Linux and install it. However when I said this I didn’t take into account that he didn’t have his GUI system up. So in short how can my friend setup X Configuration through text mode with RedHat 7.1 and a GeForce 3 graphics card?

ANApex
Gerbil XP

Re: Virtual Linux

Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:07 pm

malebolgia wrote:
My friend Jacob just is installing RedHat 7.1 on his older computer. The catch is that he’s using Virtual PC to do it. Since he has an older version of RedHat whenever he tries to setup his X Configuration something always goes wrong after installation. That is whenever he tries the command startx. The older version of RedHat doesn’t support his GeForce 3, so this time he skipped the X Configuration. Now he’s stuck trying to figure out how to setup X Configuration in the text mode. I suggested that he downloads the Nvidia driver for Linux and install it. However when I said this I didn’t take into account that he didn’t have his GUI system up. So in short how can my friend setup X Configuration through text mode with RedHat 7.1 and a GeForce 3 graphics card?

Ok if Virtual PC treats the video card like VMWare does you will need a special Virtual Machine(VM) driver to get X working. This driver will more then likely (IE: should) come with an install script that will create an X config file using the new driver, from there he should be able to run startx. Also remember that you will not have 3D acceleration within the VM.