Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

Craig P.
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Networking in Linux

Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:08 am

OK, so I finally got a side box up and running. I had a SuSE distro lying around that I got way back when (planning, at the time, to put it on the primary box), so I installed it. Everything's fine but I'm not getting the network up and running.

Card = 3COM 3c905b-TX
LinkSys Cable/DSL router (BEFSR41) serving as a DHCP server

In network setup, I chose 3COM 3c90x card, and set to use DHCP client to get IP address. There's no apparent errors in the kernel startup on subsequent boots, but I can't ping the router.

I'm certain that the hardware is all working correctly, as I've been able to boot Win98 on that machine (and access the net through the router) with no issues.

morphine
TR Staff

Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:00 am

What SuSE version is it?

Craig P.
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Mar 23, 2003 1:24 pm

The kernel version is 2.2.13.

morphine
TR Staff

Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:20 pm

can you somehow check that the DHCP cliente is running (try running "ps aux | grep dhcp" and see if it comes up with any matches. Also, if you could post the info that you get from "ifconfig eth0" here, it would help.

Btw, that version is a bit old... but it ought to work anyhow.

Craig P.
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:28 am

Hmm. This time when I booted up, it worked. ifconfig showed an expected LAN address, so I tried pinging the router, it worked, tried pinging something on the net, it worked.

I have no idea what changed. I certainly didn't modify the config on either the machine or the router.

Thanks for the assistance, though. ifconfig was something I was kinda looking for anyway.