Trouble with hda and windows

Where Penguins and Daemons chill together in the warmth of the Sun.

Moderators: SecretSquirrel, notfred

Trouble with hda and windows

Postposted on Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:09 pm

Hi!

There is a problem with a Vista laptop i need to fix. One girl forgot her password and he asked if I could unlock her laptop. I tried the http://www.pcloginnow.com/product.html and no go.

So next step was knoppix-std.

The problem is that when I do "cat /etc/fstab" as root there is a cdrom and flopy, but no hda/b/c/d/x drives, therefore I cannot mount them to retrieve registry and/or reset the password. lsmod wasn't listing any *ide* drivers as well.

I'm total Linux noob so I don't know how to proceed. I thought about modprob'ing ide drivers but I have no idea if they are loaded on CD at all. And I don't know how to list them.

The laptop servicing is an alternative, but that costs money, or requires laptop HDD adapters to attach it to desktop PC.

I would really appreciate all the help :)
Core 2 Duo E6300, MSI P45 NEO-F, Club 3D GTX 260, 4Gb DDR2-800Mhz, Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Champ1on ed., 0.5Tb+1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 630W AXP, Samsung SyncMaster BX2450, ViewSonic VP171b
Madman
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Trouble with hda and windows

Postposted on Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:49 pm

Madman wrote:The problem is that when I do "cat /etc/fstab" as root there is a cdrom and flopy, but no hda/b/c/d/x drives, therefore I cannot mount them to retrieve registry and/or reset the password.
They don't have to be in /etc/fstab for you to mount them; those are just devices with predetermined mountpoints.

Try cat /proc/partitions, which will give you a list of devices that the kernel has already noticed and probed for partition tables. The laptop's hard drive might be /dev/sda as easily as /dev/hda these days (even if it isn't SATA physically).
bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:39 pm

Well, the "cat /proc/partitions" returns: "major minor #blocks name". So no go... The tool is too difficult for the girl to handle it seems.
Core 2 Duo E6300, MSI P45 NEO-F, Club 3D GTX 260, 4Gb DDR2-800Mhz, Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Champ1on ed., 0.5Tb+1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 630W AXP, Samsung SyncMaster BX2450, ViewSonic VP171b
Madman
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:10 pm

There are other tools that can work, provided she can burn an ISO (or you can do it for her). Once you've solved this problem, you might want to suggest she create a password recovery disk (which for Vista can be a USB flash disk instead of a floppy) so you won't have to do this again.
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Return to Linux, Unix, and Assorted Madness