Need help with GRUB

Where Penguins and Daemons chill together in the warmth of the Sun.

Moderators: SecretSquirrel, notfred

Need help with GRUB

Postposted on Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:38 pm

I have an old computer so I figured I might as well install ubuntu 8.04 on it and give it a shot. It's a dual boot with XP. So I installed everything and everything went ok and runs well. But I may have done something stupid. I had a 32GB partition to install ubuntu on but for some reason it only used 30GB and left a tiny 2GB partition on my hard drive. Why??? So I thought I would just resize it and add it to the XP partition. So after I did that and restarted the computer, it wouldn't boot up anymore. I don't even get the boot option screen.

I get this error:
Code: Select all
GRUB Loading stage1.5.
GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 17

Sure, I could probably just reinstall everything but I'd like to learn and figure this problem out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm fairly new to Linux so hopefully this isn't too complicated to fix.
dtstuff9
Gerbil

Re: Need help with GRUB

Postposted on Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:57 pm

dtstuff9 wrote:But I may have done something stupid....resize it and add it to the XP partition.

Yup, you did. It's okay. I'm guessing you're new to Linux, so I won't rag on you too much. :wink:

What you may have deleted is the swap partition. Secondly, you changed the layout of the partition table, and GRUB doesn't know where to find things now, or thinks that the file system(s) are corrupt.

So, you may be looking at reinstalling Ubuntu again, this time leave the partition alone.

You can also try some solutions from the documentation.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.
titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Return to Linux, Unix, and Assorted Madness