Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Installing Debian

Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:13 pm

How many cds does it require to install? I notice on their mirrors they have 7 image files. I assume I don't need all of them.

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:42 pm

With Redhat 8.0, you can get away with two or three disks. However, I don't know how the files on Debian are arranged, so you might get into trouble if you don't have a certain CD.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

bzgirl
Gerbil In Training

Sat Mar 29, 2003 9:21 am

You only need the first CD to install Debian
actually the most common way is to install from floppy's one with a kernel on it and one with some modules, particularly the network card module, then you connect to an ftp server and the installler will download, installl and configure it for you.

dolemitecomputers
Topic Author

Sat Mar 29, 2003 10:43 am

Ok. I did get the first image on cd now but I'm a little scared about installing it since I heard it isn't as user friendly as other distros like Mandrake or Redhat.

bzgirl
Gerbil In Training

Sat Mar 29, 2003 11:14 am

heres a good guide....

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i ... l#contents

the installer isnt pretty or anything, but its really not to hard, if your familiar with your present linux system somewhat, for example, write down your partitons, what network card you have etc...

look here also

http://www.debianhelp.org/modules.php?o ... m&forum=24

and dont forget irc.freenode.net #debian if you get really stuck

dolemitecomputers
Topic Author

Sat Mar 29, 2003 3:35 pm

The reason I wanted to try it is because I had checked out KNOPPIX and liked it a lot. I noticed some of it is based on Debain so I thought I might like it as well.

element

Sat Mar 29, 2003 5:09 pm

dolemitecomputers wrote:
The reason I wanted to try it is because I had checked out KNOPPIX and liked it a lot. I noticed some of it is based on Debain so I thought I might like it as well.

If you want a dead easy Debian install, download Morphix or knoppix.
Knoppix has an installer script on the CD and Morphix is based on Knoppix but it has Gnome 2.2 with a graphical installer script. Very easy, you just have to answer a few question and that's it.
When you boot with the Morphix CD there's a GTK install icon on the desktop, double click it and the install begins.
When you're finished you have a working Debian linux distro with LILO as boot loader.
There are 3 different images for Morhpix: Heavy GUI, Light GUI and Game
The heavy GUI has Gnome and KDE, the Light GUI the lighter WM's like IceWM, BlackBox, ...

Some more info: http://pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?na ... e&sid=4655

Homepage: http://morphix.sourceforge.net/modules/news/

The official word from the homepage:
Welcome to the one and only Morphix.org website!

Morphix is a modular distribution, with live-cd support and without any configuration (you burn the CD, you put it in your CD-Rom drive, you boot and it works... out of the box). Also, installing Morphix on a harddisk is a breeze, just click on the icon on the desktop!

Currently, iso's with icewm, Gnome2.2, KDE3.1 and a game iso are available for download! For more information, check the FAQ

"To Boldly Go Where No Distro Has Gone Before"

8)
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image." -- Stephen Hawking

dolemitecomputers
Topic Author

Sat Mar 29, 2003 5:27 pm

Cool. I'll give that a try. I tried installing Debian but had some problems getting the right network card drivers going so I might try that one.

bzgirl
Gerbil In Training

Sat Mar 29, 2003 8:16 pm

what network card do you have?

dolemitecomputers
Topic Author

Sat Mar 29, 2003 9:15 pm

It's a Dlink card. I normally use the Via Rine driver but for some reason that does not work.

glyndwr
Gerbil In Training

Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:02 am

I can second the vote for Knoppix as an installer. Debian's raw installer is rather unfriendly at times, and I've been using it for three years now. With Knoppix, however, you can't go wrong, and after executing Knoppix's hard disk install option you will have a complete working Debian installation. This is how I built a machine for a mate of mine a few weeks back.

Ive not used Morphix but apparantly is is, if anything, better than Knoppix.

As for the D-Link card, what you really need to know is what chipset is on it. Then you can tell what kernel module you need to load. It's probably a RTL8139, most cheap D-Link 10/100 cards are.