USB Pendrive Persistent

Where Penguins and Daemons chill together in the warmth of the Sun.

Moderators: SecretSquirrel, notfred

USB Pendrive Persistent

Postposted on Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:53 am

I am hoping to avoid the mistakes of my last attempt making a Persistent USB pendrive, which ended in my Windows installation getting nuked. I saw that Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04 both include a USB Persistent install tool. I fired it up from the 9.04 Beta live CD and it gave me a wizard asking how much space I wanted to reserve for documents. I reserved about 256MB of the 2GB, hit install, and it installed it. I rebooted, booting off the USB drive, and it turns out all the installer did was partition the drive into 256MB and 1.7GB and then copy the .ISO to the bigger partition. When I boot, it gives me the same menu as the Live CD.

So to finish the install, do I want to choose "Install"? If so, what do I have to do to prevent it from writing GRUB on my hard drive instead of itself and all of the related problems?

Or, am I done? Do I just choose the live-CD option every time I boot up in the flash drive?
PenDriveLinux wrote:If all goes well, you should now be booting from Ubuntu 8.10 on your USB flash drive, automatically saving changes you make to the casper-rw loop file as you go.

P.S. Extra Bonus Question: What's the casper-rw loop file?

Thanks!
Krogoth wrote:Care to enlightenment me?
grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Return to Linux, Unix, and Assorted Madness