Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

Crayon Shin Chan
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Writing/Accessing ReiserFS partitions from WinXP

Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:32 am

Hello guys!
This, according to the main Linux forum page, is my latest problem with Linux again...
I messed around with some permission settings in order to get some programs working in Mandrake 9.1, and I remarked a line out instead of erasing it out. So now it won't boot into Mandrake 9.1, and I'm stuck with trying to access my /etc/security/console.perms file or something from a Windows XP partition. (I tried RFSTOOL, it only lists the files out, and besides it says it's read only).
I tried to boot from the cd installation drive, and I found out that it wouldn't let me access the hard drive! I would go to /dev/ and ls, I see tons of drives that don't even exist on my system and when I try to cd into hdb5, it just says it's not a directory! How else do I access it?
That said, a way to tell the CD that I want to access the hard drive root directory, not some lookalike root directory that has /bin, /mnt, /dev and none of my installation files, would be most welcome.
Mothership: FX-8350, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, MSI GTX 1070 Sea Hawk, Crucial MX500 500GB
Supply ship: [email protected], 12GB DDR3, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Corsair: Thinkpad X230

muyuubyou
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: London, UK or Tokyo/Yokohama, Japan or Madrid, Spain

Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:50 am

Don't you have a boot floppy? or Knoppix? or Suse Live?

Usually you can generate a boot floppy from windows using RAWRITE or something like that. Check your Mandrake CDs using Windows. There should be a Windows or DOS directory.
no sig

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:44 pm

Burn the knoppix ISO on a CD and use it... www.knoppix.org