Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Media Center Nix Distro

Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:35 pm

OK..... I've seen two and don't know what each of them have to offer over one another. I wasn't looking at making this a DVR box, but more of a computer that's capable of running Movies and music with a very slick looking interface.

XBMC and Mythbuntu.... any takes on these or is there a better alternative. Whats the + and the - of them for those of you who have hands on experience with them.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Media Center Nix Distro

Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:53 pm

Ubuntu with Boxee on top.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:05 pm

Never heard of XBMC. Mythbuntu will generally have the same pros and cons that Ubuntu has. On the plus side, it should generally be easier to set up and maintain than most other distros, especially if you're coming from a Windows background; and there's a large user base (so you're more likely to be able to find help online). On the minus side, Ubuntu (and by extension Mythbuntu) tends to be pretty bleeding edge, with half-baked (or even quarter-baked) features sometimes making it into official releases. If you're not planning to move on this immediately, you might want to consider waiting for 10.04 (due in April); this is one of Ubuntu's "long term support" releases (which they do every couple of years). LTS releases focus more on stability than bleeding edge features.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:26 pm

Welch wrote:
XBMC and Mythbuntu.... any takes on these or is there a better alternative. Whats the + and the - of them for those of you who have hands on experience with them.

If you're just doing media playback and don't need the DVR functionality, XBMC is much better than MythTV. The interface is a lot nicer and it's easier to configure and manage. You can run XBMC on top of plain Ubuntu (or any distro of choice). Boxee is a fork of XBMC and it's supposedly pretty good too but I don't have any firsthand experience.