Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

achaycock
Gerbil
Topic Author

Ubuntu Netbook 10.10 Unity Interface

Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:44 am

OK, I'm curious to know what people think here.

I installed upgraded my netbook to Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook Remix and instantly regretted it. On my Compaq Mini 700 (read HP Mini 1000), the performance was dire and I quickly came to loathe the Unity interface with its docklet style sidebar using valuable screen area. Foolishly I didn't try the distro first and so I am now contemplating a few options;

i) reinstall 10.04 (quickly becoming a favourite choice despite the inconvenience)

ii) Use Netbook 2D desktop as found in the login option (Not a great choice considering the menu bars make it effectively the same as ubuntu desktop)

iii) Use Windows XP until the Ubuntu team decide to solve this problem (My current choice)

A quick glance on the Ubuntu forums reveal a well of discontent for the new Unity interface and it seems to me to be about as popular as if the devs had dumped a steaming turd on peoples netbooks, but what I want to know is how many of you have tried this edition and do you like it?

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Ubuntu Netbook 10.10 Unity Interface

Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:05 pm

I'm using it now. Personally I don't think it's that bad though it's obviously still a bit rough round the edges. The performance doesn't seem too bad on my original spec Aspire One. The dock bar is a bit jerky and some hi res youtube vids don't play very well at all but most are fine.

I think they need to find a way to autohide the dock when it's not needed as I constantly have to put my browser into full screen mode as many websites assume at least a 1024 wide screen and the dock means you have to scroll sideways :evil:
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

emi25
Gerbil XP

Re: Ubuntu Netbook 10.10 Unity Interface

Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:25 pm

Read this: http://lwn.net/Articles/409409/

If you have any ideas to improve things, here is a link:
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

Post there to make a better future.