Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

Ranger One
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mandrake 9.1 Problems

Wed May 28, 2003 5:51 pm

Recently installed Mandrake 9.1 on my Soyo K7V Dragon Plus motherboard. Had no problems with versions 8-9.0. I dual boot this install with RedHat 9.0.

RedHat is on the Primary partition & Mandrake 9.1 is on the first Logical partition.

(1). Mandrake 9.1 in not giving me the option to log in as "root" when I boot up. I deselected the "automatically log on to one user" box when installing. When I try to log off my user account to try & log on as root the screen turns black & goes into standby mode > cannot get it to recover without rebooting. Didn't have this problem with previous versions. What am I missing?

(2). Dual booting with RedHat 9.0 which I had up & running. RedHat bootloader "GRUB" was installed onto MBR. After installing Mandrake & adding RedHat to the bootloader I can't get RedHat to boot. When dual booting with these two Op Systems what is the proper way to do this?

Thank's.
"Understanding Is A Three Edged Sword"

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed May 28, 2003 6:37 pm

1. What window manager are you using?

2. What is the entry you have for RedHat in lilo (if you are using lilo for Mandrake)? Post that and maybe we can tell if there is an error in it.

walter
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:06 pm

I can help you with part of your question. In order to get Mandrake to allow you the option to log on as 'root', you must log into the KDE windows manager. Once there go into 'configuration' then click on 'controll center'. Once you're there scroll down on your left side to 'system' then expand and come down to 'login manager'. There you click on administrator mode and then click on the users tab. under hidden users uncheck 'root' and hit apply. Now when you log in again, you'll have the option for root or whatever other user you have.

hope this helps!