Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

codedivine
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Laptop reviews with Linux?

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:51 pm

I was just wondering if there are websites that review laptops but after installing Linux instead of Windows or OSX? Phoronix seems to be the only linux hardware review site around and they rarely review laptops, instead spending their time on many questionable articles. But I digress. So any Linux laptop review site? So far the only way to search for Linux reviews seems to be to search for personal blogs or forum posts about any given model.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: Laptop reviews with Linux?

Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:45 pm

Phoronix is only one I know. And the reviews on that site, well, how can I put this kindly... they suck.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:41 pm

I haven't found a high quality source for such information. If you want to check compatibility I would recommend consulting the manufacturer information about chipsets used, etc. and then search Google. The only big issue I've run into is WiFi card support, but that stuff gets dissected quickly for popular models.

lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:03 pm

I know OpenSUSE (my distro. of choice) has a user-submitted hardware compatibility list. And IIRC all Thinkpad laptops are either Red Hat or SUSE compatible.
This is the HCL for laptops and OpenSUSE: http://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Laptops.
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count

Chun¢
Gerbil XP

Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:40 pm

I don't like phoronix at all. Ever since they post 'official proof' that steam was coming to Linux, because of some textures and framework that got released with
the mac update. They of course didn't post Valve's official comment saying that they didn't have plans to support linux. Here I am in the same trap everyone else fell in.
I really don't have much to add. Maybe check whichever distro's forums?

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:21 am

Also hunt around for community written manufacturer specific wikis like ThinkWiki for the ThinkPads.