Ubuntu Remote Desktop Faux Pas

Where Penguins and Daemons chill together in the warmth of the Sun.

Moderators: SecretSquirrel, notfred

Ubuntu Remote Desktop Faux Pas

Postposted on Wed May 04, 2011 8:59 am

1. Remote in to your work desktop from home (via secure SSH tunnel) to check on something.

2. Forget to disconnect the remote desktop session when leaving home to go to the office.

3. Arrive at the office, and notice that your desktop seems a little laggy/sluggish. Normal windows just don't seem quite as smooth as they should be, and VirtualBox VMs have become laggy enough to be *really* annoying.

4. Spend the next 10 minutes trying to figure out what's broken. Plenty of free RAM... CPU load below 20%... disk not thrashing... WTF?!??

5. Just as you're about to give up and try a reboot, finally notice the little Remote Desktop icon on the taskbar.

D'oh! :oops:

I suspect that VMs were much more severely affected because the VM's entire display is probably treated as a raw bitmap that has to be updated across the RD connection, whereas updating of native (non-VM) windows is probably easier to optimize (e.g. forward the higher-level X-Windows primitives or something).
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Re: Ubuntu Remote Desktop Faux Pas

Postposted on Wed May 04, 2011 9:54 am

At least it all worked out. I freakin' love RD. I'm always going back and forth between my office computer and home and RD saves me loads of time.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Ubuntu Remote Desktop Faux Pas

Postposted on Wed May 04, 2011 10:21 am

Dropbox saves me. Not for the most important files but it is a life saver with work. I really, really got to get a VPN setup to my home network. (and a faster upload speed stupid time warner)
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.
mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Return to Linux, Unix, and Assorted Madness