Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

SS4
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Yahoo msg for wary puppy?

Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:58 pm

Hey guys i just finished setting up the latest version of wary puppy on this old comp and configured the wireless card and network. Now my GF need yahoo messenger. I'm not to familiar with Linux yet but i would need a short walkthrough on setting up a yahoo msg clone like gyachi or something. I'm just looking for her to be able to log in her current yahoo ID and be able to view video chat, not send any since we dont have another webcam anyways.

So thx in advance, ill check up on here later today...

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Re: Yahoo msg for wary puppy?

Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:37 pm

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:45 pm

I found a link to package for Pidgin on their wiki. (http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Pidgin)

It's pretty easy to setup. Install, run, complete the wizard.
Pidgin Documentation: http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Using%20Pidgin

SS4
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:19 pm

OK, so there that last link for pidgin is for Puppy and not for ubuntu right?

The reason im running Wary puppy is that i found an old P3 kicking around and wanted to give it some more life :P

EDIT: Does pidgin support the video chat? Only one way (receiving the vid) is perfect. Dont need to send any.

kc77
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:49 pm

It's kind of a toughy. Pidgin supports video through plugins. The downside? Well it's limited to whatever plugin you use and it's kind of kludgy. Empathy has way better support for video chat but isn't as bulletproof as pidgin (for me). But I say try Empathy first since it's just way more flexible than Pidgin is.
Core i7 920 @stock - 6GB OCZ Mem - Adaptec 5805 - 2 x Intel X25-M in RAID1 - 5 x Western Digital RE4 WD1003FBYX 1TB in RAID 6 - Nvidia GTX 460

SS4
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Well I installed pidgin but I havent tried receiving a video call with it. I dont want to make video capture, there is no webcam on the comp. Now i saw a plugin that allows you to watch video directly in pidgin when a link is posted. So it doesnt seem like watching someones webcam feed on pidgin would be much of a hassle so if you know of any plugins (if any are needed to watch a webcam) id be happy.

Ill take a look at Empathy if pidgin doesnt cut it but so far pidgin seems to be running yahoo great.

kc77
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:05 pm

SS4 wrote:
Well I installed pidgin but I havent tried receiving a video call with it. I dont want to make video capture, there is no webcam on the comp. Now i saw a plugin that allows you to watch video directly in pidgin when a link is posted. So it doesnt seem like watching someones webcam feed on pidgin would be much of a hassle so if you know of any plugins (if any are needed to watch a webcam) id be happy.

Ill take a look at Empathy if pidgin doesnt cut it but so far pidgin seems to be running yahoo great.

Great. I like Pidgin and it's primarily what I use. Just didn't' know how far you were going to go with the video chat.
Core i7 920 @stock - 6GB OCZ Mem - Adaptec 5805 - 2 x Intel X25-M in RAID1 - 5 x Western Digital RE4 WD1003FBYX 1TB in RAID 6 - Nvidia GTX 460

SS4
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:22 am

Ill be busy the next few days so might not have time to test it out. But hopefully pidgin can receive video from other yahoo without any plugins, if not ill look around for some unless one of you knows a good one.

SS4
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:26 am

Turns out I got off today so i can play around with this some more.

Now I was looking at Empathy, how do you install it under puppy? I have no problem with .pet but all i found was these:
http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/GNOME/sources/empathy/3.1/
Now i need to compile it or something i believe lol... i dunno.
Unless you know where i can find empathy.pet :P

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:20 am

No clue about an Empathy pet. I found the Pidgin package through a Google search. :)

If there isn't a package then compiling from source is your best bet, but that can be an ordeal.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:26 am

Yeah, unless Gnome's changed in the last couple years getting a Gnome app (which Empathy is) compiled from scratch is a real pain in the butt. Lots and lots and lots of dependencies which themselves must be compiled from source in a particular order, and you'd better have the right versions of all the deps as well.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

codedivine
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:40 am

Completely OT: It took me a couple of moments to parse the title. "Yahoo msg for wary puppy. Wait, what?"

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:47 am

codedivine wrote:
Completely OT: It took me a couple of moments to parse the title. "Yahoo msg for wary puppy. Wait, what?"

Ditto! Unless you're familiar with Puppy Linux, it doesn't parse at all until you've read the first post and figured out the context. :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

SS4
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:42 pm

LOL, sorry, guess i shouldve thought out the topic message better.

Now pidgin works great but my gf would really want to see the webcam feed so what option do i have now?

Compiling would be too much for me with my lack of advanced linux skill. So any yahooclone .pet messenger that support at least receiving vid?

And yeah like i said earlier i picked Wary puppy because it runs great on this old P3 with very little ram :P

Pidgin run really great the only thing lacking is video...if there is not option i guess she can use the main computer when she requires video but it would be great if she could do it all on this puppy :P

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:51 pm

Maybe the old computer could run Lubuntu, then you could take advantage of Ubuntu's package repositories.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

SS4
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:07 pm

I could give it a try but I picked Puppy coz i thought it would good for the low memory

Im running a:
Intel Pentium III Processor
548 MHz, 192 MB of RAM (use to have 1 more stick of ram but its defective and theres no point in spending money to buy overpriced memory that would fit lol)

Now Puppy is really fast, Lubuntu might have more functionality but it would probably run slower. Guess with a dual boot she could always run it whenever she needs the vid, I guess I would have t try because I'm really surprised at how fast this comp goes now that it runs on puppy lol

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:07 pm

bthylafh wrote:
Maybe the old computer could run Lubuntu, then you could take advantage of Ubuntu's package repositories.

That may be worth a try; they apparently recommend a P2 as the bare minimum, so a P3 ought to be workable.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

SS4
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:48 pm

Oh ya, almost forgot, the video card also eats up at the ram so I have less than 192 mb of ram. Seems like Lubuntu needs 128 but the low ram might make the installation more of a hassle...

kc77
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:52 pm

SS4 wrote:
Oh ya, almost forgot, the video card also eats up at the ram so I have less than 192 mb of ram. Seems like Lubuntu needs 128 but the low ram might make the installation more of a hassle...

The alternate installer (which may be the default for Lubuntu) should let you slide with 192.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:11 am

On a computer that old I wonder how well it will do with the video stream anyway if you do manage to get it going. You may be better off getting a new modern low end and cheap PC and putting Ubuntu on it. That way pidgin can come out of the repos and it should all just work.

SS4
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:03 pm

Well the thing is that comp was kicking around so im trying to put it to good use without spending money and at the same time im getting some more linux experience in the process.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:24 am

As suggested, you might be better off switching distros with larger number of packages in the repos. You might want to take a look at Arch Linux. It's pretty barebones, but the install guide is good, which makes it easy. It will be easier to customize then, and you'll get some good knowledge about Linux.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:03 am

Flatland_Spider wrote:
You might want to take a look at Arch Linux. It's pretty barebones, but the install guide is good, which makes it easy. It will be easier to customize then, and you'll get some good knowledge about Linux.

Wrong. OH DEAR GOD WRONG. Arch is even less friendly than frickin' Slackware. Definitely not what a new-to-Linux person should be using unless they're really enthusiastic. As the wiki says, "targeted at competent GNU/Linux users".

You'll get a good bit of knowledge of Linux out of it, true, but it'll be hard-won.
Hakkaa päälle!

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:36 pm

bthylafh wrote:
Wrong. OH DEAR GOD WRONG. Arch is even less friendly than frickin' Slackware. Definitely not what a new-to-Linux person should be using unless they're really enthusiastic. As the wiki says, "targeted at competent GNU/Linux users".

You'll get a good bit of knowledge of Linux out of it, true, but it'll be hard-won.

The PC is a P3 548 MHz with 192MB of RAM; he might as well go all in on this thing.

The age of the hardware already makes this a more advanced install then I would suggest for a newbie. Ideally he should have something more modern that he can install a more common distro on, but that is not the case.

Arch is more accessible then you think it is. It has good documentation which is newbie friendly, which is the main thing. If I didn't think it was easily enough to follow the directions, I wouldn't have suggested it. Arch fits the profile needed. Simple, good packages, light resources, and he can easily get a GNOME desktop.

Besides, it's not like I suggested Linux From Scratch or Gentoo. I've never used Slackware, so I can't compare the two. I have used LFS and Gentoo, and they are really rough.

Hard-won knowledge is the best kind. It makes for great memories.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:35 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
Arch is more accessible then you think it is. It has good documentation which is newbie friendly, which is the main thing.

Like this Wall Of Text?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide

Yeah, no. It's certainly complete, but the presentation is /not/ newbie friendly.
Hakkaa päälle!

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:30 am

bthylafh wrote:
Like this Wall Of Text?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide

Yeah, no. It's certainly complete, but the presentation is /not/ newbie friendly.

Are you really complaining about making people read? Software, beyond the trivial "push this button stuff", requires reading dry technical documentation, and quite frankly the Arch Wiki is much more readable then stuff up on MS TechNet.

Is there some sort of complete, newbie friendly documentation for Linux I don't know about? Please provide links.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:27 am

Oh, for example, a distro that just Does The Right Thing when you're installing and dumps you at a usable desktop with minimal interaction. Lubuntu, say.

For an example of a newbie guide that's formatted to be more readable:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/

or even
https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/ubuntu-help/index.html
Hakkaa päälle!

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:35 pm

bthylafh wrote:
Oh, for example, a distro that just Does The Right Thing when you're installing and dumps you at a usable desktop with minimal interaction. Lubuntu, say.

For an example of a newbie guide that's formatted to be more readable:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/

or even
https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/ubuntu-help/index.html

I never discounted Lubuntu; I just offered up Arch as another alternative. I mentioned that it's really sparse, and the OP would need to read the documentation. It would have been deceptive of me had I said, "Use Arch! It's GREATTT!!!!", but I didn't. I mentioned it's short comings, and left it for the OP to decide, he's a big boy and can make his own decisions. I could have mentioned Debian, but I think the Arch documentation is better. Plus other reasons, like Arch being friendlier and the simplicity of Arch's BSD-style init system.

It's funny that you should bring up the FreeBSD handbook, since I really got started on Unix-like systems by reading through the handbook while installing and setting up FreeBSD. I think it was 4.10 I started on. It's been a long time....

I didn't know about the Ubuntu help; I thought they just relied on their forums. Anyway, that's good to know it's there.

Neither of those are a great leap forward over the Arch Wiki. They are formatted better, but they are still text heavy. The Ubuntu help is even a step back since they don't have a single html option, that I can find, which necessitates printing out each entry individually.

Here are some better examples. DesktopBSD and Red Hat add screenshots to show what needs to happen and where. It takes a little bit to grok Red Hat's titles, so there's a negative. Microsoft goes as far as adding videos to their documentation.

DesktopBSD Wiki: Installation [Full disclosure: I used to contribute to the DesktopBSD Wiki when it was still a viable project.]
http://desktopbsd.net/wiki/doku.php?id=doc:installation

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Documentation
https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/doc ... ise_Linux/
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_H ... ation.html

Microsoft Windows 7 Getting Started Guide
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... ng-started

Windows 7 Help & How-To
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help

Bottom line, Arch was a suggestion. The OP can make his own decision about what's right for him. There's wasn't any need to freak out; no one's going to die.

Unless someone else posts something relevant to the original topic, I'm done with this. I have better things to do this weekend.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:21 pm

/flounce
Hakkaa päälle!

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:23 pm

You guys got me totally motivated to install Arch Linux now! It's like I got the fever and it can only be cured by more Arch Linux! :P

Anyways, I've always been a long time fan of FreeBSD and Debian myself. Lately it's all been Ubunutu installs cuz it's so damn easy & pretty!