Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

-Kosh-
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Epic failure on the new Gnome ?

Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:54 pm

Ugh.
That is the only thing that comes to mind with the new Gnome release that is being pushed by debian.

Have they all gone nuts with this 'new style' GUI ?
Gnome 2 had pretty much everything anyone needs, yet they ruined it with Gnome 3. :(

It isn't just Gnome, it is also Unity as well. So very depressing.

That leaves KDE & XFCE...
Did I say UGH yet ? :roll:

BlackStar
Gerbil

Re: Epic failure on the new Gnome ?

Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:37 pm

Gnome 2 sucked. Gnome 3 is better in all regards. It's faster, it's more usable and it's much more integrated.

Use it for a couple of days and you'll understand. Use it as in *really* use, don't just boot it, see it's different and say "it sucks".

I actually prefer Gnome 3 over Win7 and that's saying a lot.

maxxcool
Gerbil Elite

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:01 pm

if it uses nouveau its POS and needs to die in a fire.
Cybert said: Capitlization and periods are hard for you, aren't they? I've given over $100 to techforums. I should have you banned for my money.

Chun¢
Gerbil XP

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:11 pm

You can't use gnome shell and expect gnome panel; that's just lunacy.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:27 pm

maxxcool wrote:
if it uses nouveau its POS and needs to die in a fire.

You are mixing and matching bits here. Nouveau is a completely separate beast. If you hate Nouve, that's fine, but be aware that Gnome has nothing to do with it. Gnome 3 requires 3D accel. If you have Nvidia, load the binary driver or use Nouve, Gnome doesn't care.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:24 pm

People said the same thing about KDE 4 when it first came out. It seems to be a pretty reasonable desktop now, other than being a bit of a memory pig. I'm willing to give GNOME 3 the benefit of the doubt, and wait until it has had a little more time to mature.

(And yes, I currently run GNOME 2...)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:59 pm

just brew it! wrote:
People said the same thing about KDE 4 when it first came out. It seems to be a pretty reasonable desktop now, other than being a bit of a memory pig. I'm willing to give GNOME 3 the benefit of the doubt, and wait until it has had a little more time to mature.

(And yes, I currently run GNOME 2...)

I was a KDE user until KDE 4. Then I was a Gnome user until Gnome 3/Unity. Now I'm an XFCE user until... ?

-Kosh-
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:11 pm

Even with fallback mode, it still doesn't allow you to put things on the desktop or a easy way to add/delete/move things from the panel.
It is a take it or leave it approach, and from everyone I have talked to, they all chose to leave it.

I guess it is possible someone will fork Gnome 2...

It seems like they all think that everyone is going to have a tablet instead of a desktop, and for that, it might work better.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:30 pm

-Kosh wrote:
I guess it is possible someone will fork Gnome 2...

Already happened, at least two or three times that I know or. I'll refrain from linking one until there's a single leader with apparent life expectancy of >3 months.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:04 pm

Gnome 2 seems to me like Windows XP. It was great for its time, it overstayed its welcome, and when it was finally replaced by a much better product, everyone complained because suddenly, things were different.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

kc77
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:38 pm

-Kosh- wrote:
Even with fallback mode, it still doesn't allow you to put things on the desktop

After using it, and I mean really using it, Gnome 3 makes all of the sense in the world. It's an application centric design, the same design Win 8, and Apple are following. While you can return the Nautilus icons back to the desktop I have found that I don't need them there, since 100% of the time I would have an application blocking them anyway. Once I open whatever apps the chances of me getting to the Desktop to fire off a launcher is pretty much zero.

-Kosh- wrote:
or a easy way to add/delete/move things from the panel.
It is a take it or leave it approach, and from everyone I have talked to, they all chose to leave it.

You can always install your own dock if need be. It's not like there aren't options for docks and panels for gnome. I think people are overreacting. You would have thought that kibadock, AWN, etc didn't exist or something. If you need a fully customisable panel install one. It's not impossible to do. Hell I did it even when I used Gnome 2.
Core i7 920 @stock - 6GB OCZ Mem - Adaptec 5805 - 2 x Intel X25-M in RAID1 - 5 x Western Digital RE4 WD1003FBYX 1TB in RAID 6 - Nvidia GTX 460