Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

walter
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Samba problems

Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:19 pm

I took the plunge and created a linux server in a mixed environment.

The linux box is running Mandrake 9.1 and Samba server 2.2.7a Security rollup fix...As for clients I have 1 win2k box, 2 win xp boxes and 1 Mandrake 9.1 box. My previous server was a win2k server running active directory.

Now the problem is configuring this network to operate under Samba and get the windows boxes to authenticate etc...But I have many problems. The win2k box can see the workgroup but only itself is showing. No other computers that are part of that workgroup can be seen. The win XP machines have not been downgrade from the previous domain name to the new workgroup until I caan get Samba properlly configured. The linux client cannot be viewed by anyone on the network, yet it's IP can be pinged and it replies.

I'm so confused at this point as to what has happened that I don;t know from where to start. I'll be happy to share any files with anyone who understand Samba inside and out.

I put my fate in the hands of all of you in this great forum!

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:05 pm

can you browse directly to the various machines? IE type \\machinename or \\ip and get to them?

OllieTech
Gerbil

Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:44 pm

I have a similar problem with my samba configuration.

I can browse directly to the machine using an UNC address.
IE \\192.168.1.150\Files

But when I do a browse in my workgroup, it only shows my windows client, and not the Linux Samba client. I have added the browseable=yes and public=yes options, but still nothing gets shown.

I am really comfortable with using Linux but am just too lazy to research the problem at this time as I don't mind typing in the address. Plus once I map the drive, it doesn't really matter. But, if someone has a solution for this, I am more than willing to make the corrections. If I decide to figure it out, I will post the solution.

Despite
Gerbil XP

Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:04 am

you do have samba set to broadcast it's wares to your subnet(s)?
in the global section, a line like this:

remote announce = 10.1.0.255/SOL 10.1.1.255/SOL

ought to do it (btw, 10.1.0.0/24 and 10.1.1.0/24 are my subnets, and SOL is my domain)

OllieTech
Gerbil

Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:47 pm

I did not need the remote announce, I found out the problem. Simply enough, I forgot to start the nmb service. Once I did that, it was showing up fine in My Network Places.

Despite
Gerbil XP

Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:23 am

heh heh. yeah, I guess that would do it!

Canuckle
Gerbil XP

Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:48 pm

OllieTech wrote:

IE \\192.168.1.150\Files

That's because it needs DNS on the network to resolve to the hostname.

OllieTech
Gerbil

Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:58 pm

Canuckle wrote:
OllieTech wrote:

IE \\192.168.1.150\Files

That's because it needs DNS on the network to resolve to the hostname.

Actually, the problem was that I did not enable the netbios service on my linux server. Silly me, and I was reading it a million times in all these posts, and I just didn't see it.

DNS would have helped in resolving the IP to a host name but it would not have helped in having it appear in "my network places". Because, MNP uses the netbios name and service to provide that query info. Now I use my Linux server as my primary WINS server for all my clients.

Now I have the SMB and NMB services started and all has been fine and stable.