Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

YBK
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Mandrake 9.1 how big?

Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:31 am

Hi

I am downloading Mandrake 9.1 and was wondering if I need all three CDs to make it work. Its downloading really fast at around 120 KB/s.

File name is " Mandrake91-cd1-inst.i586.iso " from http://public.ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/ ... /iso/i586/

What do you guys think.

Can't believe it, finally got myself to download Linux. :D I just hope it won't cause a lot of trouble. :)

Thanks
Shake it to the limit!
PING

YBK
Topic Author

Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:42 am

Yey i finished downloading it.
Shake it to the limit!

PING

element

Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:46 am

You can install Mandrake with 1 CD, but I recommend to download at least 2 CD's so, you can insall some additional apps too.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image." -- Stephen Hawking

YBK
Topic Author

Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:47 am

Thanks.......................... that makes me feel much better.

Wish me luck .

I am going in.

Need to burn first.
Shake it to the limit!

PING

Yanish
Gerbil XP

Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:49 am

Yeah your better off downloading all the cd's, especcially if you need suppory for another language apart from english.
And if it's downloading at 120K then you might aswell wait for all 3 disk2 to download.
When all else fails,
Fdisk, Format, Linux.

YBK
Topic Author

Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:51 am

I have a limit on how much I can download. I'll do the 2 other CD's next month. I am currently on the LAN, so there is no need to download all now. :)
Shake it to the limit!

PING

YBK
Topic Author

Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:44 am

Hi,

I installed linux!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But...............

How do you install stuff.......... this is wierd............ I downloaded MSN and it asks me to open it with God knows what.

Eh? What's happening to me. Other than that, I am having a blast *not really*.

I can't do anything............ I feel so stupid.................. Maybe this thing needs getting used to.

Anybody knows how to open the file. Its MSN that I downloaded. Really wierd stuff.

On other postive note, Man does the font look good. :) And the buttons are so cool.
Shake it to the limit!

PING

YBK
Topic Author

Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:56 am

It's a Grizp file type if that should help.
Shake it to the limit!

PING

Despite
Gerbil XP

Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:34 am

wait wait wait, let me get this straight... you installed linux, and the first thing you want to do is pollute it with Microsoft stuff?!?!?!?!?

element

Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:56 am

Despite wrote:
wait wait wait, let me get this straight... you installed linux, and the first thing you want to do is pollute it with Microsoft stuff?!?!?!?!?

Yeah, exactly what i was thinking. Install GAIM or Gabber if you're using Gnome or Kopete if you're using KDE.
PSI is also very good (ICQ like interface and according to a survey the most popular).

Download here: http://www.jabber.org/user/clientlist.p ... form=Linux
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image." -- Stephen Hawking

YBK
Topic Author

Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:55 pm

OK, I installedit but can't find it now..............grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Shake it to the limit!

PING

Mime
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:58 pm

YBK wrote:
Hi,

I installed linux!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But...............

How do you install stuff.......... this is wierd............ I downloaded MSN and it asks me to open it with God knows what.

Eh? What's happening to me. Other than that, I am having a blast *not really*.

I can't do anything............ I feel so stupid.................. Maybe this thing needs getting used to.

Anybody knows how to open the file. Its MSN that I downloaded. Really wierd stuff.

On other postive note, Man does the font look good. :) And the buttons are so cool.

Yeah, that was my first reaction to linux also. If I had more tolerance for tweaking all the itsy bitsy things you need to tweak in order to get the thing setup right I probably wouldn't have switched back. :wink:
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

YBK
Topic Author

Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:06 pm

Yey.............. I made MSN work. This made my day. Thanks element Kopete is cool. Mime, few somebody else feels the same way about this. :wink:
Shake it to the limit!

PING

YBK
Topic Author

Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:49 am

Now I can't get my networked printer to work.

Its an S520 Canon. Tried getting this driver but it doesn't seem to do anyhting. :evil:
Shake it to the limit!

PING

Crayon Shin Chan

Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:53 am

Unlike every other device, there is no /dev entry for printer... hmm.
Even though I don't have a printer, my /dev directory lists lots of stuff I don't have (like partitions on a SCSI drive).
Mothership: FX-8350, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, MSI GTX 1070 Sea Hawk, Crucial MX500 500GB
Supply ship: [email protected], 12GB DDR3, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Corsair: Thinkpad X230

Crayon Shin Chan

Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:01 am

So how's Mandrake coming for you, YBK? You might want to be careful while dealing with menudrake, one false drag and my whole K menu got nuked once... luckily I found a file in my .kde directory that could correct the whole thing. Or just leave the OS be for some time. Then when you come back, it might be working OK again! (I am not kidding). Hope you don't encounter any snags!
Mothership: FX-8350, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, MSI GTX 1070 Sea Hawk, Crucial MX500 500GB
Supply ship: [email protected], 12GB DDR3, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Corsair: Thinkpad X230

YBK
Topic Author

Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:40 am

Crayon Shin Chan wrote:
So how's Mandrake coming for you, YBK? You might want to be careful while dealing with menudrake, one false drag and my whole K menu got nuked once... luckily I found a file in my .kde directory that could correct the whole thing. Or just leave the OS be for some time. Then when you come back, it might be working OK again! (I am not kidding). Hope you don't encounter any snags!

I'm using Gnome now cause i can't open MSN on KDE. Hahaha.... Think I messed it up. You know what, its so much easier to fix things in Windows then in Linux.

What do you use Gnome or KDE. :)
Shake it to the limit!

PING

YBK
Topic Author

Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:25 am

I can't do anything on this thing..................................... :x :evil: Really getting annoying!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no idea how to do most of this.

I mean how can I extract an RPM file, which automatically installs.....@#$%$%%#$% &*^*()*&%&%^&

I installed it and now how no idea on what place in the hard disk did linux store that information.

The App is supposed to be a Windows Emulator which will make many windows programs to work on Linux. Eg. Photoshop.
Shake it to the limit!

PING

element

Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:31 am

Hehe, Wine is a Windows emulator and it's not that easy to set up, but if you read the docs carefully, you shouldn't have any problems. I managed to run Dreamweaver MX on Linux.
As for rpm's do "rpm -ivh <filename>" the rpm installs automattically on the right place on your hd and there should be a menu entry for the prog in your Linux menu (Start menu in Windows terms).

Linux isn't that difficult to work with, even Samba is getting easier now with the latest distro's. It's just different than Windows, so you'll have to start all over again.
Don't expect it to be a Windows replacement in terms of usability.
Say it together with me: Linux is not Windows! :-)

YBK
Topic Author

Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:01 pm

Linux is not windows.......... :)
Shake it to the limit!

PING

YBK
Topic Author

Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:56 pm

How do I do, rpm -ivh <filename>

I typed, rpm -ivh <wine-20030618-mdk9.1.i586.rpm> in the go to place. You know where you browse for folders. I bet that was way of target.
Shake it to the limit!

PING

element

Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:08 pm

You have to type it in the console, in Gnome Terminal.
Type: rpm -ivh wine*
That should do the trick if that's the only file starting with wine in the directory, otherwise type the full filename.

YBK
Topic Author

Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:11 pm

I typed exactly what you said and where you said. Now what should I do. Install Wine again?
Shake it to the limit!

PING

element

Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:29 pm

If you did, it should be installed now.
Go here http://frankscorner.org/ for tips about installing windows software with wine.

Anyway, before you want to install windows progs on Linux, get to know linux better first. Maybe there's a better linux alternative for the windows prog.

YBK
Topic Author

Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:44 pm

I don't know.

Where is it installed? It says it installed but I can not find it. There is no file by the name of Wine or anyhting close to that in /home.
Shake it to the limit!

PING

Felix
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:37 pm

Dont fret YBK, Im sorta on the boat as well!
What is the prog ur trying to get werkin in WINE?
once u install WINE, there should be a .config file, in the file manager thing, find the menu that lets u see hidden files, because when there's a . in front of a file, that usually means the file is hidden!
read, read, and read as many DOCS that u can till u understand what u have to do!
well have fun!
linux is fun! (^_^)
~FeLiX
|Sager NP9750|X2 4400+|2GB DDR400|100GB 7200.0|100GB 5400.0|Go 7800 GTX|17" 12ms LCD|

Felix
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:52 pm

ohh wait, almost forgot!
to open WINE, go into a console asn type wine .
a number of things should happen!, either it will say u have to configure it, or a window may popup to help u through the setup!
~FeLiX
|Sager NP9750|X2 4400+|2GB DDR400|100GB 7200.0|100GB 5400.0|Go 7800 GTX|17" 12ms LCD|

YBK
Topic Author

Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:44 am

You know what. I did something!!!!

I put my XP CD rebooted, then format. :) :oops:

BUT I think i messed things up. Linux created two partitions. And I could not install XP on the big one. I had to install it on the 5 GB partition. How can I use my other one. I am going to try partition magic. Hope that helps.
Shake it to the limit!

PING

element

Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:33 am

YBK wrote:
You know what. I did something!!!!

I put my XP CD rebooted, then format. :) :oops:

BUT I think i messed things up. Linux created two partitions. And I could not install XP on the big one. I had to install it on the 5 GB partition. How can I use my other one. I am going to try partition magic. Hope that helps.

This proves Linux isn't ready yet for some people. Or some people aren't ready yet for Linux...

YBK
Topic Author

Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:23 pm

No problem, I fixed the format thing.

Linux formatted my windows ME partition. (used for boot). It didn't even ask, just formatted it.

Thanks for your help.
Shake it to the limit!

PING