Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

drsauced
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Where does Ubuntu put application files?

Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:20 pm

I was just getting the popcorn ready :)

Edit: I've used Ubuntu a little bit, but end up putting FreeBSD into production. It's the enlightened choice.

Fork the thread?
Calm seas never made a skilled mariner. But, sadly I'm an A's fan.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:25 am

LemonPOS isn't in ports, according to freshports.org, so FreeBSD isn't a good choice here. Plus, the FreeBSD video drivers aren't as advanced as the Linux drivers.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:16 am

Ubuntu 12.04 has LemonPOS in its repositories, so using it would be a simple matter of installing Ubuntu and then pulling in the package, done.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:23 am

just brew it! wrote:
I actually prefer it these days for full-blown desktops, since GNOME killed off GNOME 2.

No, they only tried to kill Gnome 2. Gnome was too popular to kill, and the sequel is slowly being adopted, but alternatives remain alive and well.

MATE = Gnome 2, renamed. Same libs, same DE, same everything. Not very future-proof, though.

Cinnamon = Gnome 3 with Gnome 2's look and feel. Getting better all the time.

I've given up and am loving XFCE again after years away, though.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

hhhoudini
Gerbil

Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:58 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
LemonPOS requires KDE because Qt is the GUI toolkit that it uses.

Razon-qt is a lightweight desktop enviroment base on the Qt toolkit. Instructions for getting it onto a variety of distros is available on their webpage; http://razor-qt.org/.

I've tried it on a couple of different occassions and it didn't fit my needs for a desktop. However Qt is there and it may be more than enough to support a POS system.

h

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:07 pm

Since LemonPOS is already in the Ubuntu/Debian repositories, it should be possible to install just the required bits of KDE (e.g. the Qt libraries) simply by installing the LemonPOS package. Any dependencies should be pulled in automatically as needed.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:23 pm

It's in the Ubuntu repository, but not present in Debian's, and one or the other have said they're no longer mutually compatible... or at any rate they don't try to be, so if the other guy's package works it's accidental.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:31 pm

Oops, my bad. I thought I checked the Debian repo for it. Must've been using the wrong window (I typically have multiple CLI windows open to multiple Ubuntu and Debian systems at any given time). :oops:

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:08 pm

I usually use pkgs.org to find packages. It's a good way to search multiple distros without doing too much digging.

Here are the dependencies for Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS, if anyone is interested.
kde-runtime
lemonpos-data (= 0.9.2-0ubuntu4)
libc6 (>= 2.14)
libkdecore5 (>= 4:4.3.4)
libkdeui5 (>= 4:4.3.4)
libkio5 (>= 4:4.3.4)
libqt4-sql (>= 4:4.5.3)
libqt4-svg (>= 4:4.5.3)
libqtcore4 (>= 4:4.8.0)
libqtgui4 (>= 4:4.6.1)
libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1)

kde-runtime, libkdecore5, and libkio5 are the only parts of KDE that are needed.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:39 am

Forge wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
I actually prefer it these days for full-blown desktops, since GNOME killed off GNOME 2.

No, they only tried to kill Gnome 2. Gnome was too popular to kill, and the sequel is slowly being adopted, but alternatives remain alive and well.

MATE = Gnome 2, renamed. Same libs, same DE, same everything. Not very future-proof, though.

Yes, I know about MATE and Cinnamon. I'm reluctant to hitch my wagon to MATE given that newer apps might not be well-supported, and it drags in a lot of legacy libraries which will lead to additional bloat on systems which also need to run GNOME 3 and/or KDE apps. Cinnamon didn't seem mature yet last time I looked into it.

The GNOME ecosystem seems like it is fragmenting.

Forge wrote:

Yeah, I may yet switch to XFCE, or even LXDE as my primary desktop environment. As noted previously I'm currently giving KDE a go, and find LXDE quite useful in VMs. A number of things about KDE annoy me, but so far I've been able to find workarounds for most of its (mis)features, which is something I can't say for Unity.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:50 am

just brew it! wrote:
Forge wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Yes, I know about MATE and Cinnamon. I'm reluctant to hitch my wagon to MATE given that newer apps might not be well-supported, and it drags in a lot of legacy libraries which will lead to additional bloat on systems which also need to run GNOME 3 and/or KDE apps. Cinnamon didn't seem mature yet last time I looked into it.

The GNOME ecosystem seems like it is fragmenting.

Forge wrote:

Yeah, I may yet switch to XFCE, or even LXDE as my primary desktop environment. As noted previously I'm currently giving KDE a go, and find LXDE quite useful in VMs. A number of things about KDE annoy me, but so far I've been able to find workarounds for most of its (mis)features, which is something I can't say for Unity.

Cinnamon was a bit flaky before, but it's tightening up quite quickly, and has a rosy future ahead, barring changes. It seems to be settling into a "tolerated but not much loved" sort of niche in the Gnome3 ecosystem, and the main Gnome devs know they can't sabotage Cinnamon too much without getting backlash from the users who feel Gnome3 gets that same "tolerated but not much loved" label.

XFCE has come a very long way from where I remember it being last. I'm quite happy with how easy it was to get running and useful now, and the integration with a few stray Gnome/KDE applets is much, much better. I'd even consider teaching it to other people now, since it's no longer so outlandish to propose something that doesn't fit the classic start button+task bar paradigm. MS did this, with the Win7 bar first, and later with Win8's UI abomination.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.