FreeBSD games..... now with sound (again)

Where Penguins and Daemons chill together in the warmth of the Sun.

Moderators: SecretSquirrel, notfred

Postposted on Wed Jan 02, 2002 2:13 pm

Good news for all of the FreeBSD users out there and anyone thinking about giving it a try; mmap sound has been fixed in the 4.4 -stable branch (it had been broken since pre 4.3). This means that sound now works in quake 3 and RTCW!!! Woohoo!!! Now I'm going to be able to hear people sneaking up behind me when I play Urban Terror so look out! This doubly nice for me since I just got some swank Monsoon speakers.
cRock
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Wed Jan 02, 2002 2:33 pm

I'm happy for you, I really am, but your sad tale seems to me to be a good advertisement for keeping a Win98 partition around.
Despite
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Thu Jan 03, 2002 1:29 pm

Mock my joy, but most people running FreeBSD havn't had Windows 9x anywhere near their system in quite some time. FreeBSD isn't trying to become a gaming platform, even to the degree that Linux is making that attempt. Considering that the only games I play are counter-strike and urban terror, FreeBSD can meet 50% of my gaming needs. Not bad, but I do have a Win2k box for CS and various other windoze work.
cRock
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Thu Jan 03, 2002 5:44 pm

"Not bad, but I do have a Win2k box for CS and various other windoze work."
The prosecution rests, your honor.
Seriously though, I wasn't mocking. I was making an observation. Still, it is interesting that I just chose to inject some humor using our adversarial legal system as the analogy.
Despite
Gerbil XP

Return to Linux, Unix, and Assorted Madness