RHEL CDROM madness

Where Penguins and Daemons chill together in the warmth of the Sun.

Moderators: SecretSquirrel, notfred

RHEL CDROM madness

Postposted on Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:45 am

I've come across a strange issue. I've got some files on a DVD that I burned from Windows. I place the CD in my RHEL6 system it sees all of the files just fine. I load it up in the RHEL5 VM (VBox) it can't see the zip or folder from the zip but it can see the other folder. I open up the test VM of RHEL6 and it can't even mount the DVD. I look under /proc/filesystems and host RHEL6 has UDF, guest RHEL 5 has UDF and guest RHEL6 does not. UDF tools isn't installed on any of them. I've disabled SELinux and that didn't help and I can't find anything useful in the logs and, no, they are not hidden (ls -alhZ).

So, why am I not able to see files and what is stopping me from mounting the CD on some RHEL systems? The missing files is really weird, though. I can't think of anything that would make some files not visable.
Losergamer04
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: RHEL CDROM madness

Postposted on Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:14 am

Shot in the dark here but have you tried looking for them while logged into root?
Deanjo
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:19 am

Is this just a test or are you trying to get files to those VM's? If the latter, why not transfer over the network or use a ISO file?

VM's can make things... odd. RHEL5 & 6 handle can handle devices differently as well. How is the CD/DVD virtual device handled in your RHEL5 VM? And how is it in your RHEL6? Have you tried presenting it using a different virtual device method? A different device/driver could change things.
Elsoze
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:30 am

Yeah, I'm root while I'm doing all of this.

I could quite easily install the VMTools and map back a share, and I may just do that if I can't figure this out. I'm really perplexed, though. I've not seen anything like this before, where a system can only see some files.

I'll have to google up the different virtual device methods you mentioned and see if that has an impact.
Losergamer04
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:33 am

Is your copy of VirtualBox up to date? A few minor releases back it had a problem with reading the guest utilities ISO; not sure if that affected other things too but it's worth a look.
Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:11 am

Is this a multi-session CD and did you close the disc? Might be some funny business related to that.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:53 pm

Well, it was the multi-session that was the problem. I had tried finalizing the disk but that didn't help. Apparently, the man page for mount has a session flag you can specify, session=n. I've never seen that be an issue though. Heck, I didn't know that existed until now. I'm guessing RHEL5 wasn't picking up the newer session.

Thanks for the help!
Losergamer04
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:52 pm

Unfortunately, multi-session has always been a bit of a PITA.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:22 pm

I was just wondering because I've NEVER seen anything like that. I didn't even know it was possible. But going through this exercise I learned a little bit about mounting multi-session disks and how they work.
Losergamer04
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:26 am

The system really *should* see the last session by default. But theory and practice don't always agree.

I just try to avoid doing multi-session discs if at all possible. This has saved me a lot of hassles over the long run.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:36 am

Did you happen to use the builtin Windows burning feature to burn the disk?

It's really good at creating multisessions disks without people realizing it, and as such, I don't recommend it.
Flatland_Spider
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:37 am

JBI, since the system is not exactly a "normal" build they don't want it on the network. So I'd have to go through a spindle a month if I closed every session.

Actually, it was the built in Windows burner that I used. I've not had problems with it until now. My only issue with the Windows burning software is there is no way to finalize the disk with it. We have to use extra software to do that.
Losergamer04
Gerbil Team Leader

Return to Linux, Unix, and Assorted Madness