Linux newb needs help getting atftpd working on Mint 17

Where Penguins and Daemons chill together in the warmth of the Sun.

Moderators: SecretSquirrel, notfred

Linux newb needs help getting atftpd working on Mint 17

Postposted on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:32 pm

Long story short, I'm trying to get any tftp server running on a fresh install (in Virtualbox) of Linux Mint 17. I chose the mounted ISO as a repository choice, since this is all for a GNS3 simulation, so nothing is allowed to talk to the Internet by design.

I ran the software manager, searched for tftp server, and it suggest atftpd, so I installed that. Now I can't find it anywhere, and when I try typing "atftpd" from a terminal, it says it isn't installed, and that I need to run "sudo apt get blahblahblah"

I'm attempting a little trickery in GNS3, so one of my routers running c3745-ipvoicek9-mz.124-9.T.bin needs to talk to the TFTP server, so I can install the Call Manager Express tarball from the server, onto the router. That way, I can introduce software based SCCP phones in to the sim to practice VoIP.

Can anybody hold my hand, and walk me through this? In the real world, I'd just use my Windows Laptop, but this is all virtual, and only can talk via my loopback adapters.

*EDIT*

I forgot to mention I also installed a tacacs+ server software, but that's nowhere to be found, either.

*EDIT2* Here's screencap of it saying atftpd is installed

Here's a screencap of it the tacacs+ server is installed
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Re: Linux newb needs help getting atftpd working on Mint 17

Postposted on Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:28 am

Uhh, well, it's probably a service because it's a daemon. If I understand your post, then you're looking to start the service.
Code: Select all
sudo service --status-all
That's how I do it on Red Hat (I think it works on Ubuntu/Debian/Mint, too). See what's running, or not, for tftp. You'll probably have to do some form of configuration of the deamon, too.
man atftpd
will likely be your friend.

Sorry, Hz, that's the best I got. I've not done much with tftp.
Losergamer04
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:05 am

I don't use Mint on a daily basis, but IIRC it is an Ubuntu derivative. Here is a link to a page about using atftp on Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-setup-a ... buntu.html

Your trivial FTP server should be started using the system services commands like Losergamer04 suggests. I'm more used to either old-school RC scripts or the newer systemd (which Ubuntu does not yet use) so consult with Ubuntu or Mint experts for more details. The command name is likely *not* going to be atftp BTW, but more likely some form of "tftpd".

Edit: TACACS will go through a similar process.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-770; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
chuckula
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:12 am

chuckula wrote:I don't use Mint on a daily basis, but IIRC it is an Ubuntu derivative. Here is a link to a page about using atftp on Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-setup-a ... buntu.html

Your trivial FTP server should be started using the system services commands like Losergamer04 suggests. I'm more used to either old-school RC scripts or the newer systemd (which Ubuntu does not yet use) so consult with Ubuntu or Mint experts for more details. The command name is likely *not* going to be atftp BTW, but more likely some form of "tftpd".

Edit: TACACS will go through a similar process.
Losergamer04 wrote:Uhh, well, it's probably a service because it's a daemon. If I understand your post, then you're looking to start the service.
That's how I do it on Red Hat (I think it works on Ubuntu/Debian/Mint, too). See what's running, or not, for tftp. You'll probably have to do some form of configuration of the deamon, too.
man atftpd

Thanks you two! That's further than I'd gotten. I awas going to stick to Haiku, but apps are few and far between (and why in gawds name did MS make 20008R2 enterprise only a *tftp* client. The mind wobbles.

In fairness, everytime I had to use tftp to do firmeware upgrade on WRAPs, DSLAMs, Agreggators, I always just used my Windows machine, so I'm kinda like a monkey f***ing a football right now.

But ultimately, like I said this is for my frankenGNS3lab. I might even intergrate Huawei's sim into it, just for grins.

Thanks again! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon. Posts at the Mint forums have to be Mod approved first, so gawd knows how long that'll take.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:50 am

It's likely running from inetd (internet super server) so you won't see the process running until something connects to the socket and inetd fires up the process. Check that the socket is open with "netstat -na | grep udp" and look for an open UDP port 69. If it's not there, check the inetd configuration and then check the atftp configuration.

I've got a Debian server at home and I'm running tftpd-hpa and isc-dhcp-server so that I can PXE boot on my network.
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:20 am

notfred wrote:It's likely running from inetd (internet super server) so you won't see the process running until something connects to the socket and inetd fires up the process. Check that the socket is open with "netstat -na | grep udp" and look for an open UDP port 69. If it's not there, check the inetd configuration and then check the atftp configuration.

I've got a Debian server at home and I'm running tftpd-hpa and isc-dhcp-server so that I can PXE boot on my network.

I think you are correct. I want to say I saw something about it using inetd, so not to turn off something else.

I got frustrated and played some Sniper Elite 3. I'll get back to working on it in a bit. I'm genuinely surprised at what I've pulled off, when even the GNS3 folks say it shouldn't work (I don't have beta access)
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:22 am

notfred wrote:It's likely running from inetd (internet super server) so you won't see the process running until something connects to the socket and inetd fires up the process. Check that the socket is open with "netstat -na | grep udp" and look for an open UDP port 69. If it's not there, check the inetd configuration and then check the atftp configuration.

OH, BTW, do you know any good books on Plan9 from Bell Labs? their docs are short, to put it mildly.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:32 am

chuckula wrote:I don't use Mint on a daily basis, but IIRC it is an Ubuntu derivative. Here is a link to a page about using atftp on Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-setup-a ... buntu.html

Mint is exactly like Ubuntu on the command line. There is just more sugar on the GUI in Mint.

Look into sysv-rc-conf as a way to make enable both services to load on boot. I'm sure there's a better, or more canonical, way to do this in Debian derived distro, but I haven't found it.
Flatland_Spider
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:38 am

Hz so good wrote:OH, BTW, do you know any good books on Plan9 from Bell Labs? their docs are short, to put it mildly.

Plan9 is pretty obscure, and if the hompage doesn't have any information, you might be out of luck. Inferno is a derivative, and the docs for that might help.

Plan9
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/index.html
Flatland_Spider
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:46 am

Losergamer04 wrote:Uhh, well, it's probably a service because it's a daemon. If I understand your post, then you're looking to start the service.
man atftpd

I got the sudo service --status-all command to work. Here's the output.

"man atftpd" shows the options I tried first "atftpd [option] [directory] (BTW, this is where it said NOT to use --daemon, since atftpd uses inetd)

So I type in atftpd path /desktop/tftboot. No the file can't be found, even when it's right there. Is there another folder I need to place the tarball in?

And this point, I'd settle for TFTP server and tacacs+ on Haiku, if someone could show me where to download it and how tp install it. It's BeOS based, so it's a bit different frp, vanilla linux
Last edited by Hz so good on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:51 am

Flatland_Spider wrote:
Hz so good wrote:OH, BTW, do you know any good books on Plan9 from Bell Labs? their docs are short, to put it mildly.

Plan9 is pretty obscure, and if the hompage doesn't have any information, you might be out of luck. Inferno is a derivative, and the docs for that might help.

Plan9
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/index.html

Honestly I was attracted to it at first because it was small, so the .vdi wouldn't take up much room. And the Plan 9 from outer Space reference just made it irresistable.

Remember, I'm the idiot that got Netware 5.1 working in Virtualbox, and an NT4 sp6a with Client32 and NWAdmin via IPX/SPX, while having the rest of my network being pure IP.

I'm a weird duck. This stuff is fun.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:26 pm

Hz so good wrote:I'm a weird duck gerbil. This stuff is fun.

You are in good company around here.
Losergamer04
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:24 am

Losergamer04 wrote:
Hz so good wrote:I'm a weird duck gerbil. This stuff is fun.

You are in good company around here.

I ended up trying to get it working right, I gave up and just installed an old NT4 with the free solarwinds TFTP server on it. The messed up part is that it was going fantastic for about 30 mins, and then suddenly the simultaed C3745 thru up an error about no space, and at the bottom of the GNS3 screen it said "Warning! not enough ghostsize" whatever that means... I came close to turing that fake router in CME, so I practice with those softphones that support "skinny"

I'm still grooving on Haiku and Mint 17.. I just need to make time to monkey with them more.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Return to Linux, Unix, and Assorted Madness