Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: UnitedGerbilNation's drive to the Top

Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:37 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
GJ, do you have numbers when you use the 780G IGP? That way we can deduce the delta that the discrete card adds and if the additional power is worth the points.

I'll take care of this when I move over the GT 240 to my main rig while the 285 is getting RMA'd.

Just considering the wattage delta from idle to load, this card gets about 100 PPD per Watt. What are other people's cards doing?

This is important as I have several PCI-E slots I could throw a few cards in. Gimme data everyone!

As exmple, I can get 3 GT 240s for $240. They would be worth 11,000 to 12,000 PPD and pull around 120 Watts.

Really I think I need to swap out the 780G board for something with more PCI-E slots. That would give me 2 or 3 more cards to fold with.

This guy here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186149 could hold 4 GT240s
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:48 am

Guys.... REALLY? are you really gonna let the PPD get this low? I don't want to eat a Gerbil. :( :( :( :(

I'm only folding with 3 PCs for jimminy crimminy's sakes and all...
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:25 pm

A little reprieve for you gerbils as I will be losing two of my bigadv clients in a few days, as the hosting server is going into production. :cry: Hopefully I'll be able to move one of those clients onto another server sometime next week. My ppd will definitely take a big hit until then.
Fold! And I don't mean your clothes!

Do you have a favorite gerbil recipe? Please share with the TR community!

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:33 pm

They're under no threat from me until I get my 9600GSO working again under Linux/Wine. The guides I've read to such things are not updated for changes in software, and they're broken even if you try to use all the old drivers and CUDA. Even if I do get it working, they say it's noticeably slower than under Windows, and I also won't have the capacity to overclock it unless I run Gnome or something (I forget which one it is, actually, since I'm not at that point yet). On the upside, at least I've got the SSH server running successfully on it so I don't have to break my neck trying to read a monitor and use a keyboard connected to the machine, and Samba is working OK, too, so I can monitor the SMP client.

Edit: If I can't get this GPU to run under Wine, I wonder if Win2000 will work. It's the only other OS I have available, and it is not too different fom XP, with the exception of DirectX backwardness as far as I know for the purposes of GPU folding (even though I understand GPU folding doesn't actually call DX functions). And oh yeah, I think I'd have to make a smaller parition for it, too.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:04 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
They're under no threat from me...

Check your SIX! :wink:

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:24 pm

Yeah I've seen that for 2-3 days, now. Win2K looks like a dead end as I figured it would be, from searching around.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:10 pm

Maaaaaaybe I got the 9600GSO running now. It didn't crash right away with the UNSTABLE_MACHINE error this time. I think the first time I had the 64 bit CUDA toolkit installed. Now I have to screw around with nice because it hasn't made any progress after 6 minutes on a WU that should take under 2 minutes, though that was 2% overclocked speed :roll:.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:23 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
Maaaaaaybe I got the 9600GSO running now. It didn't crash right away with the UNSTABLE_MACHINE error this time. I think the first time I had the 64 bit CUDA toolkit installed. Now I have to screw around with nice because it hasn't made any progress after 6 minutes on a WU that should take under 2 minutes, though that was 2% overclocked speed :roll:.

In case it's hardware related Newegg has open box 9600GSOs and GT240s right now. The 9600GSO is $50 with shipping, not too shabby. The GT240s are around 80, so there aren't really a great deal.

I'm loading their video card open box page probably 100 times a day trying to snag a 5850 for around $220... It's kinda like fishing. :D

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:34 pm

It's running, about 6:48 a frame instead of 1:42 on the ubiquitous Project 5910. An 80% speed reduction is not pretty.

As for checking 100 times a day, that's 12.5 per hour in an 8 hour day, and that's... ridiculous.

Edit: Now, when I'm logged off the system entirely and leave it running... it's doing over 9:30 per frame. :evil:

I think I need a Windows DVD, yeesh.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:22 pm

So uh, if I wanted to, could I use the Win7 DVD to upgrade XP with? I think I read about that issue somewhere on here.

(And for the time being I'm killing the SMP client until I can get "nice" to work for me, if that's possible. Maybe in one of the gazillion updates for Ubuntu they'll get around to it eventually. For the time being I can't run Wine + the GPU client using nice at all. It crashes with a permission error, so it's just at whatever priority it defaults to. I ran the SMP client at the lowest priority I could attempt to set it to, which is 19, and it still ate up the 9600GSO's production. With it shut down, it runs a P 5910 at 1:47 or so per frame. Slower, but much closer to Windows speeds.)

(Lots of ninja edits.)

fuzzhead
Gerbil First Class

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:31 pm

Ragnar Dan

This is the link I used to set up folding in Ubuntu 9.04 Linux on SMP an GPU.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/show ... p?t=619931

Worked for me!

Fuzzhead

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:54 pm

Thanks, fuzzhead. 9.04 seems to have fixed my problems. I may have to reinstall it because I used the Server version like the foldingforum thread that I originally used advises, and the link you provided assumes Desktop version without saying so directly in the opening post, which naturally installs a UI, which will apparently let me edit an X11 config file to allow overclocking the GPU, which may help a bit, though I suspect it only allows core overclocking and not shader. It seem slightly slower on GPU folding than my Windows version, but it's close enough that it may just be the slight (just over 2%) difference in shader speed, and the SMP folding is faster, so it works out pretty well.

Very helpful. :)

fuzzhead
Gerbil First Class

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:49 pm

Glad you were able to get it running. You are right the GPU is slightly slower
but the SMP is faster so it balances out. Don't try with SLI or you really will have to
edit a bunch of X11. And Ubuntu has better ROI than Win 7, 0 $ versus $$$.

Fuzzhead

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:33 pm

Well, my PPD is about to go down 8k to 9k. I just boxed up my GTX285 and will be shipping it out tomorrow for RMA.

I'm currently running an ATI3450. The HORROR!!!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:48 pm

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
Well, my PPD is about to go down 8k to 9k. I just boxed up my GTX285 and will be shipping it out tomorrow for RMA.

Ouch, the 3450 is even worse than folding single core CPU client. May as well just leave it alone.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:22 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:

Ouch, the 3450 is even worse than folding single core CPU client. May as well just leave it alone.

Yeah I'm not even trying to fold with it. It's good for web-surfing though=)

To help make up for the reduced PPD while my GTX285 is out I have installed the VMWare 3.0 / UNIX combo. My first WU is a BIGADV one. It looks like it will take me 2.37 (34 min, 10 sec per step) days to fold it and will give me 24k PPD. i7 920 running at 3.8GHZ. I mention this to see if this is what others are getting, and if not, maybe there is something I need to tweak?

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:25 pm

It looks like you had a bunch of WU's for small number of points at the 3 PM update yesterday on EOC, which often means a crashing GPU or some such thing.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:35 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
It looks like you had a bunch of WU's for small number of points at the 3 PM update yesterday on EOC, which often means a crashing GPU or some such thing.

I had not noticed that. I checked my two GPUs. They seem to be working just fine. I was messing around a little bit yesterday with VMware and SMP clients on one rig. Maybe that caused some issues.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:16 pm

OK, well, I'm not seeing any large -bigadv points showing up in recent days, so it looks like you've still got something wrong. Are you running with the passkey set on your SMP clients? It looks like all your recent updates are for small point values.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:47 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
OK, well, I'm not seeing any large -bigadv points showing up in recent days, so it looks like you've still got something wrong. Are you running with the passkey set on your SMP clients? It looks like all your recent updates are for small point values.

You may be right. I just looked and my Athlon X2 system was choking on an a3 WU. It had been working on it a day and had 5 days to go. I just killed it. I turned off scientific methods hoping I'd get an a1, but no, I got an a3 again... I just killed the SMP client on that one. I may try it again later to see if some a1 cores are available.

As far as my i7 rig, the first BigAdv WU is at 97%. I've been working on it for 2 days now. It should hit before end of day at least. I'm curious if the a2 or a3 core offers better PPD overall. Any theories?

After all is said and done I have two GPU2 clients and teo SMP2 clients running. I bought a GT 240 last night. Should be here Wednesday, and then I'll be folding with that as well.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:47 am

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
Ragnar Dan wrote:

You may be right. I just looked and my Athlon X2 system was choking on an a3 WU. It had been working on it a day and had 5 days to go. I just killed it. I turned off scientific methods hoping I'd get an a1, but no, I got an a3 again... I just killed the SMP client on that one. I may try it again later to see if some a1 cores are available.

As far as my i7 rig, the first BigAdv WU is at 97%. I've been working on it for 2 days now. It should hit before end of day at least. I'm curious if the a2 or a3 core offers better PPD overall. Any theories?

After all is said and done I have two GPU2 clients and teo SMP2 clients running. I bought a GT 240 last night. Should be here Wednesday, and then I'll be folding with that as well.

For my dual cores, the A2's (not bigadv) are slightly less than the A3's ppd wise, provided I can finish the WU at the fastest time possible (minimal load on the computer). The difference is like 200-300ppd. I suppose for quads the difference should be more pronounced.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:45 am

Flying Fox wrote:
For my dual cores, the A2's (not bigadv) are slightly less than the A3's ppd wise, provided I can finish the WU at the fastest time possible (minimal load on the computer). The difference is like 200-300ppd. I suppose for quads the difference should be more pronounced.

It doens't really seem to do much for my Q9450.

I'm a fan of those bigadv WUs now though. http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=500232

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:14 pm

Woohoo! GT 240 came in today. No more 3450 for me. It plays Call of Duty, WaW pretty well and FahMon shows it getting 4800 PPD right now on a 5770 WU. All in all a very nice card for the price (69.99 after MIR).

If you guys are thinking of adding a video card for folding I think the GT 240 is easy to recommend. Very nice power to PPD ratio.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:26 am

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
Woohoo! GT 240 came in today. No more 3450 for me. It plays Call of Duty, WaW pretty well and FahMon shows it getting 4800 PPD right now on a 5770 WU. All in all a very nice card for the price (69.99 after MIR).

If you guys are thinking of adding a video card for folding I think the GT 240 is easy to recommend. Very nice power to PPD ratio.
So how much more power am I looking at over using an IGP?

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:49 am

Flying Fox wrote:
Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:

Sorry FF I know I'd promised that data. I will do it tonight. I put the new GT 240 in my new rig, so there was no IGP to check. Tonight I'll pull the GT 240 out of my Athlon x2 rig... The CPU is overclocked. Do you want overclocked or stock data? Let me guess... both!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:40 am

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:

Sorry FF I know I'd promised that data. I will do it tonight. I put the new GT 240 in my new rig, so there was no IGP to check. Tonight I'll pull the GT 240 out of my Athlon x2 rig... The CPU is overclocked. Do you want overclocked or stock data? Let me guess... both!

All I am interested in is the delta that the GT240 uses. So as long as you stay with the same clocked CPU with your two measurements, the result should be consistent. Of course if you want to measure additional numbers I'm sure some around here would appreciate those. ;)

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:41 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
All I am interested in is the delta that the GT240 uses. So as long as you stay with the same clocked CPU with your two measurements, the result should be consistent. Of course if you want to measure additional numbers I'm sure some around here would appreciate those. ;)

OK the system idles at 70 watts with the IGP, and 80 watts with the GT 240. It uses about 118 watts when it's folding with the GPU, and 166 watts when folding with the GPU and CPU.

So 38 watts on the GT 240 gets, 4,500 PPD according to FahMon
48 watts running the SMP client on the Athlon X2 clocked at 3.0 GHZ gets 900 PPD according to FahMon.

I may as well turn that SMP client off.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:55 pm

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

OK the system idles at 70 watts with the IGP, and 80 watts with the GT 240. It uses about 118 watts when it's folding with the GPU, and 166 watts when folding with the GPU and CPU.

48 watts running the SMP client on the Athlon X2 clocked at 3.0 GHZ gets 900 PPD according to FahMon.

I may as well turn that SMP client off.

Which GT240 did you get, DDR3 or GDDR5? I'm trying to reconcile the power numbers against this.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:30 pm

He linked to this GDDR3 one on Feb. 20.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:17 am

Ragnar has it correct. It's the MSI GT 240 with 1GB of DDR3.

My main rig is sporting a GT 240 512MB DDR5 version. I was hoping the lower rm might knock off a couple of watts.

FF - if you look at the power efficiencies of the Athlon X2 vs the GT 240, it would appear you'd be using energy more efficiently with the GT 240.