Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:39 pm

Let's hear a big "Welcome Aboard" from all the Gerbils for our newest citizen, Hotdog! :D
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!

Tamale
Gerbil First Class

Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:55 pm

just thought I'd mention that I've thrown my meager folding efforts at the UGN instead of under my usual name, Tamale...

currently this means:

1 P4 2.6ghz folding 24/7
1 P4 2.8ghz folding 24/7
1 P4 1.8ghz folding 24/7
1 AMD 3800+ X2 folding 2 instances 'bout 3-4 days a week

hope it helps! :)

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:28 am

Welcome to UGN Tamale!! :D Your ~ 15 Ghz of Folding Power will be a great addition! :P

We're on our way .................................................... to 10K. 8)

Your name has been added to the UGN Census. Check it out. :o :wink:

Tamale
Gerbil First Class

Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:49 pm

jeffry55 wrote:
Welcome to UGN Tamale!! :D Your ~ 15 Ghz of Folding Power will be a great addition! :P

We're on our way .................................................... to 10K. 8)

can we get our rough ghz contribution put behind our names on that list? I think it'd be a nice addition to see a little bit of our individual glory displayed hehe

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:51 pm

Tamale wrote:
jeffry55 wrote:

can we get our rough ghz contribution put behind our names on that list? I think it'd be a nice addition to see a little bit of our individual glory displayed hehe

That's actually a pretty good idea.

Tamale
Gerbil First Class

Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:26 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Tamale wrote:
jeffry55 wrote:

That's actually a pretty good idea.

i'm full of 'em 8)

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:27 pm

Tamale wrote:

i'm full of 'em 8)

So what's your 'good idea' for propelling the UGN into #1 in the world?

Tamale
Gerbil First Class

Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:10 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Tamale wrote:

i'm full of 'em 8)

rising through the ranks here at orbitz.com until i have the authority to decree that all developer workstations (most of which are dual processor opteron machines) need to have two instances of FAH running at all times! :lol:

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:16 pm

Tamale wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Tamale wrote:

i'm full of 'em 8)

rising through the ranks here at orbitz.com until i have the authority to decree that all developer workstations (most of which are dual processor opteron machines) need to have two instances of FAH running at all times! :lol:

I like the way you think! :P I'll work on the "Ghz in the Census List idea". I'll need Ghz input from all the Gerbils in the Nation. :D

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:18 pm

Since GHz in the nation is mostly for bragging rights and no monetary prize (can be?) involved, I say we just use GHz/MHz. If that means people will flock to Intel, then at least we have more machines (active CPUs) folding, and that's really the bottom line.

Tamale
Gerbil First Class

Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:58 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Since GHz in the nation is mostly for bragging rights and no monetary prize (can be?) involved, I say we just use GHz/MHz. If that means people will flock to Intel, then at least we have more machines (active CPUs) folding, and that's really the bottom line.

i can't tell if you're referring to AMD marketing numbers vs. Intel mhz or what exactly.. can you clarify your point a little bit?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:24 pm

To make it simple, we can just use either. We just need a big enough number to get others to join us, like "1000GHz already folding for UGN, make it bigger"... or something like that.

I wouldn't mind just GHz too.

Tamale
Gerbil First Class

Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:13 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
To make it simple, we can just use either. We just need a big enough number to get others to join us, like "1000GHz already folding for UGN, make it bigger"... or something like that.

I wouldn't mind just GHz too.

yah but i'm not talking about our overall speed, i'm talking about recognizing individuals within the nation who help the most

Lightning
Gerbil In Training

Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:27 pm

Howdy! Got sick of fighting with my router to get CPDN packets through so thought I'd change to something a bit more computer friendly. I've got an Athlon 4200+ with the graphical and the command line version running on one core each. Hope it helps.

As for the whole GHz thing... wouldn't it be better to base it off FLOPs or something which at least hints at the actual throughput of the system?

Cheers,
Cam

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:31 pm

Welcome to the forums. :)

If you do one graphical and one console, do you still need to make sure the machine IDs are different? If you need to change machine IDs anyway, may be you can try 2 consoles too?

Games are known to not play nice with the graphical client, so I ask.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:26 am

Lightning wrote:
Howdy! Got sick of fighting with my router to get CPDN packets through so thought I'd change to something a bit more computer friendly. I've got an Athlon 4200+ with the graphical and the command line version running on one core each. Hope it helps.

As for the whole GHz thing... wouldn't it be better to base it off FLOPs or something which at least hints at the actual throughput of the system?

Cheers,
Cam

Welcome to Team TR Lightning! A dual core 4200 is a pretty sweet set up. 8) Are you folding under the UGN banner? :o Let me know if you are and I will add your name to the Census. :D

Tarx
Gerbil Elite

Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:09 pm

What about just listing the CPUs per member? Shouldn't take up too much space. And for some of the big users, so what if it goes onto the second line.
e.g. [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], etc.
(ok, ok, I'm not currently in UGN, but will return once my FADD missions are complete)
(edit: oops, I meant FADD, but maybe I'll also add an FAD mission to get them to start folding here!)
Last edited by Tarx on Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep folding!

Tamale
Gerbil First Class

Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:17 pm

Tarx wrote:
What about just listing the CPUs per member? Shouldn't take up too much space. And for some of the big users, so what if it goes onto the second line.
e.g. [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], etc.
(ok, ok, I'm not currently in UGN, but will return once my FAD missions are complete)

sounds good to me.

if we decide to go that route, here's my contribution:

X2 3800+ @ 2.7g (2 instances), P4 1.8g, P4 2.6g, and P4 2.8g - all 24/7

oneofthem
Gerbil

Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:52 pm

I dont' see "gigaflops" mentioned too often, why can't we use that?
fried gerbil....mmm

Lightning
Gerbil In Training

Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:40 am

Welcome to Team TR Lightning! A dual core 4200 is a pretty sweet set up. 8) Are you folding under the UGN banner? :o Let me know if you are and I will add your name to the Census. :D

Thanks, yes I am. Didn't have any luck with the command line version on the first go - seemed to have trouble reading a file about half way through?!

I'll get two copies going eventually.
Cheers,
Cam

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:42 am

Interesting that it didn't go. Do you have the affinity set for the graphical one?

krazy_olie
Gerbil In Training

Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:38 am

New to the forum but joine UGN a few days ago, only running 1 p4 2.4.

So thought I'd just say hi. I need to change to the console client this graphical thing is annoying me now.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:45 am

Lightning wrote:

Thanks, yes I am. Didn't have any luck with the command line version on the first go - seemed to have trouble reading a file about half way through?!

I'll get two copies going eventually.
Cheers,
Cam

Welcome to the Nation Lightning! :D

Sometimes an uninstall & reinstall fixes those types of issues.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:49 am

krazy_olie wrote:
New to the forum but joine UGN a few days ago, only running 1 p4 2.4.

So thought I'd just say hi. I need to change to the console client this graphical thing is annoying me now.

Welcome aboard krazy_olie! :D We are glad you have joined the Nation.

The console client is easy to install. Be sure to uninstall the graphical client first. I think you can save your "work" file before deleting and then copy it back into the console version so you won't lose your current WU.

oneofthem
Gerbil

Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:21 pm

hello peeps. i got a 1.6 p4, which in my noob way i oced to 2. and a 1.6 dothan (? the centrino) folding about 10 hours a day. i couldn't leave them on the whole day because my mom was like all mad and stuff.
fried gerbil....mmm

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:19 pm

Welocome to the fold oneofthem! :D We appreciate your contributions to UGN. 10 hours a day is so much better than 0 hours a day. 8)

It's good not to piss off moms. They control a lot of important things. :wink:

krazy_olie
Gerbil In Training

Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:48 pm

I would just like to say i'm extremely impressed by the rate at which UGN is climbing up the table.

Tamale
Gerbil First Class

SirDowny has entered the room.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:46 pm

Salutations to the Band of Gerbils.

Count me in on your team! I've got a trusty ole' dual processor athlon mp 1800+ system crunching away for ya. Hope I can help.

Lets get gerbily with it.

~SirDowny

Lightning
Gerbil In Training

Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:06 am

Can't say I have a prob with the graphical client... it's not like I need to look at it (it's pretty ugly huh!?). Is the command line version faster, it's not like I'm watching the graphical version anyway.

I am running with affinity set to processor 1. Better than all the context swapping I figure. I also run Winamp 2.81 on proc 1, but I figure it's no great shakes.

My first packet was one of the biggies (1500 proteins?) but this current one's normal (250) and I'm due to finish it in another 5 hours.

Damn it'd be cool to chuck a bunch of PS3's (Cell proc) at this... :D

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:55 am

Lightning wrote:
Can't say I have a prob with the graphical client... it's not like I need to look at it (it's pretty ugly huh!?). Is the command line version faster, it's not like I'm watching the graphical version anyway.

I am running with affinity set to processor 1. Better than all the context swapping I figure. I also run Winamp 2.81 on proc 1, but I figure it's no great shakes.

My first packet was one of the biggies (1500 proteins?) but this current one's normal (250) and I'm due to finish it in another 5 hours.

Damn it'd be cool to chuck a bunch of PS3's (Cell proc) at this... :D

There isn't any real speed difference between the graphical client and the command line version. The graphical client gives you easier access to make modifications.

With the Graphical client, you can reduce the protien draw rate down to minimum to reduce the heat generated by your vidoe card. It is only a simulation.