Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

-Druid-
Gerbil First Class

Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:13 pm

My 2 proc, dual core server got another 1440 WU today today. The below are the two 1440 WU's. (From the above post from Ragnar, thanks BTW)

3036 171.64.65.63 p3036_p3028_SMP-ensv-03 9684 2.00 3.00 1440.00 100 GRO-SMP Description densign
3037 171.64.65.63 p3037_p3029_SMP-emsv-03 9684 2.00 3.00 1440.00 100 GRO-SMP Description densign

Not sure what determines what a machine gets, but this machine is ONLY getting 1400 WU's now. It's gotten 6-3036 and 2-3037.

I haven't checked my other SMP client (X2-4600) to see what it's getting yet.
I give up trying to get my fricken signature working.... damn tags. I'm a folder not a HTML/PHPBB programer JIM!

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:25 pm

Oh, I forgot about your dual core dual Xeon machine. Maybe that's why you're getting those high-point WUs and I'm not seeing them. It pays to go back and read this thread's contents. :wink:

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:20 pm

Another couple of thoughts I had: maybe it's the amount of memory reported to the SMP client in configuring it? I have mine set to 920 MB. If yours is higher, maybe that is why you're getting the higher point WUs. Though I think it more likely that 4 cores is the real reason. Still, I'd like to learn what your memory settings are (so I can perhaps reduce mine). You can find out by getting a terminal window running in the folding directory, and typing:

username@username-desktop:~/folding/FAH$ tail client.cfg

Also, while I'm at it, I notice you Nulfire/Druid guys seem to be talking to each other in this thread. I've been a bit confused by that, since it reads like you thanked yourself, and I can never tell which of you is writing. Are you both using the same account here on TR, too? I see an account called nulfire here, so what is the deal?

Hotdog
Gerbil First Class

Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:40 pm

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. I talk to myself constantly, but rarely does it reach typed-out status.

You're looking sexy tonight, by the way.
I love you, Peter Roth.

Hotdog
Gerbil First Class

Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:40 pm

Thank you darling.
I love you, Peter Roth.

-Druid-
Gerbil First Class

Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:40 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
Another couple of thoughts I had: maybe it's the amount of memory reported to the SMP client in configuring it? I have mine set to 920 MB. If yours is higher, maybe that is why you're getting the higher point WUs. Though I think it more likely that 4 cores is the real reason. Still, I'd like to learn what your memory settings are (so I can perhaps reduce mine). You can find out by getting a terminal window running in the folding directory, and typing:

username@username-desktop:~/folding/FAH$ tail client.cfg

Also, while I'm at it, I notice you Nulfire/Druid guys seem to be talking to each other in this thread. I've been a bit confused by that, since it reads like you thanked yourself, and I can never tell which of you is writing. Are you both using the same account here on TR, too? I see an account called nulfire here, so what is the deal?

Well that 2 proc dual core machine is running straight Linux, no VMware, and the server has 4GB of ram to use.

Here are my settings:
[settings]
username=Nulfire/Druid
team=2630
asknet=no
bigpackets=yes
machineid=1
[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080
[core]
disableassembly=no
ingnoredeadlines=no
[clienttype]
type=3

As for the multiple personality complex. I'm Druid, Nulfire is another user that is a lurker on the tech report. But everything posted under -Druid- is just me. I have to thank him for turning me on to folding and the tech report in general <there's no emote for props>
I give up trying to get my fricken signature working.... damn tags. I'm a folder not a HTML/PHPBB programer JIM!

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:51 pm

You didn't go into the "Modify advanced settings?" area (it's called something like that, anyway) and set a memory size, eh? Hm. Oh well. I'm still going to have to think you get those 1440 point WUs because you have 4 cores until I get contradictory information.

OK, well, if he lurks I can see your posting things to him here, I suppose. But why do you both have the same folding username?

Also, somebody should pelt Hotdog with saltpeter until he calms down, methinks. 8)

-Druid-
Gerbil First Class

Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:50 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:

OK, well, if he lurks I can see your posting things to him here, I suppose. But why do you both have the same folding username?

When we started folding so long ago, we thought we'd make a 2 person team. Just kept doing it ever since.

I have another dual core single proc server that is currently running 2003 server with 2 clients, if my email upgrade project that these servers are for gets delayed any longer, I may load Linux on that one and try out the SMP client on there to. With less cores but the same memory maybe it won't get the 1400 WU's.

Also, I've noticed using the system monitor on Linux that NONE of the cores stay at 100% but they are in constant flux between 50-90%. Anyway I could take advantage of those extra cycles and run another client? Will the standard Linux client run on 64bit?

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:07 pm

-Druid- wrote:
I have another dual core single proc server that is currently running 2003 server with 2 clients, if my email upgrade project that these servers are for gets delayed any longer, I may load Linux on that one and try out the SMP client on there to. With less cores but the same memory maybe it won't get the 1400 WU's.

That should be a good data point to have for the 1440 pointer question.

-Druid- wrote:
Also, I've noticed using the system monitor on Linux that NONE of the cores stay at 100% but they are in constant flux between 50-90%. Anyway I could take advantage of those extra cycles and run another client? Will the standard Linux client run on 64bit?

I have no idea what's really true, but I've thought that it might just be the granularity of the system monitor's updates that's causing that result. I checked mine again just now and (ordering the list by CPU time) it's showing 217, 121, ~118, and 96 minutes of CPU time for the 4 folding core executables. The next highest thing on the system is gnome-panel at 27.2 seconds, then gnome-terminal at 25.89, and metacity at 19.74 and on down to 0 seconds. So I think it's doing reasonably close to all it can do. We can get rid of some of that cycle usage from the gui software, but I think that's about all. notfred's remark in one of these threads would seem to indicate that may be a coming possibility for us.

-Druid-
Gerbil First Class

Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:49 pm

Ok checked my other x2 4600, it's been getting small WU's. (It's doing a 3027 right now) It's only got 2GB of RAM but the same settings as the other linux SMP client. (Minus the extra horse power with the other processor and cores.)

And. A side note. Why doesn't Linux use the windows key on a keyboard? Heck it could be the instant reboot key?

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:07 am

We'll have to find out how many processor cores ... a couple of others running the 1760 pointers here have.

Windows key to reboot? Depending on what you mean by that, that could be a mess.