Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

nulfire
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

OK, what's going on with the TR fold team?

Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:56 pm

Alright. I was one of the idiots that watched the folding scene, but never joined up. I think TR is a great site. It hurts to just WATCH TR slip out of the top ten. Therefore, me and a pal have started folding for Team TR.

As Nulfire/Druid, we have completed 31 units(239 points) in the past few days. We hope to add more cpu's soon. Can anyone else help? We need alot just to hold the rank, let alone move up.

Can anyone run another "Please help the TR Folding Team" message on the front page?

-nulfire

Dissonance
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:53 pm

What's going on? Production is up. We may stave off the charging goons yet.

I've got everyone machine I have access to folding either under my name, or the team's, though it may finally be time to retire my P2 266, we'll see.

pmeysemb
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 21, 2003 3:53 pm

I, too, am an idiot for waiting this long to help with the folding effort :oops: . Well, thanks to your fine instructions, I am doing my best to keep the team strong. Combined, we are almost up to 500 processors now; what do you think it will take to start moving up the ladder again?

nulfire
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:22 pm

Awesome. I am hoping more ppl sign up for the cause.

We too are adding more temporary comps to help out. I am not sure how many we have right now...Over 20, most of which are P4's, and a couple dual Xeons. I understand that Athlons are better...but I work for a IT service company and Intel is all we use.

I would really like to keep in front of the goons.

Diss- You guys in the top ten of our team(well everyone for that matter, but the top ten specifically) have been doing an amazing job. Thanks for carrying us for all this time. I hope we can get a few more "big-time" upstarts to take some of the pressure off!

pmeysemb-Thanks for starting up! I don't think we'll be moving up any time soon...not unless we get some more people! I know we are getting a couple here and there, I'm just hoping for a huge push...

later-

-nulfire

smakkythecamel
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:30 pm

pmeysemb, I've been watching you! You're going awesome, I saw you creep up then overtake me now you're right up there. Good goin' man.

Everyone else well done. I've got a few folding boxes, but only one is 24/7. (Well, 2 if you count the celeron 400 - but that's only finished 1 WU in about 2 years lol) The others I had to give back to their respectful owners lol.

Anyway, we'll get back up there!

Druid
Gerbil In Training
Location: Somewhere in private IP ranges looking for folding stats.

Nulfire/Druid Efforts

Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:31 pm

Nulfire and I have been trying to get every machine we have access to folding.

We'd have more in our name, but the stupid typoes robbed us of several WU's before we caught them.

Just on Friday we were on a rampage to get yet one more machine folding, so we looked around for about 10-15minutes and found a P3-500 in our office. It's now folding instead of collecting dust.

We've also been "Folding by Twilight" on servers that don't do to much from 7:00pm to 6:00am. (Thanks to FireDaemon & Scheduled tasks)

Our efforts continue but I think we are going to cap out around 25 perminate machines per week. We have access to 100's of workstations and servers per month but most are our cutsomers' machines and we'd not like to complicate the already complex networks we support...

BUT, I know if we have some nice workstations/servers in the office for a couple of days, who's to say that we won't "Break them in" by folding for Team TR.

At least we are beating Team Maximum PC huh?

gerbilspy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:19 pm

The students (and teachers) among us might try to get their computer labs folding for us, or start up "folding clubs".

What do you think, Rachmanninov 3? :D Is it time to get it done? :)

Another 100 P4s would come in handy for the team!
Not retired anymore

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:25 pm

That is a swell idea. Maybe I could see if we could use some of the school computers to fold if we made it an official club. I will get my primary rig up and folding as soon as I can get both the noise and heat levels down. It's just not suitable to run at 100% load quite yet. :(
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:27 pm

I too have recently joined up and added a machine to the cause (P4 1.8ghz).
Last edited by Alex on Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @xmunos

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:07 pm

I am working on getting a P4 2.0 online soon.

I was once up to around 6th place but have since dropped. I will not drop out of the top 20 no matter what!

YBK
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:07 am

Will a macintoch fold, i might be able to get some folding. From computer labs in my school. :D I have my 800mhz celeron folding.

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:20 am

YBK: Macs will fold, there's a client to download off the link from the folding team. There are actually entire Mac teams, all of which we passed pretty early on :D

There's so much craziness where I work, that I can never get a machine going and just have it be permanent. I'll get a 1.8 Xeon going, then my co-worker will decide that he wants to make it into a .Net server again, play with it for 2 hours, then leave it untouched for a couple weeks. Currently, all I've got going is a 1.7 P4 full-time, and my 1800 part-time.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:37 am

Macs will fold, yes, but so far there are only clients for OS X, so plenty of Macs are not available for the effort.

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:38 am

We are still doing good, our output is almost what it was 2 months ago, however the teams that are passing us have increased their output, that's why their passing us. Some we'll be able to overtake again, others maybe not.....

But, being #1 isn't the biggest thing, remember this is to help people and have a little fun/competition..

So, fold onward.

getbornagain
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:10 am

anyone remember what our peak production was?

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:24 am

I've got my machines working at home. As many as I can. I'm doing my best to stay Top 10 myself :).
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse

muyuubyou
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: London, UK or Tokyo/Yokohama, Japan or Madrid, Spain

Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:35 am

Come on people!!!!

This is the kind of wars I love :P

United We Stand Folding at TR

Some quotes from General George Patton:
"I don't measure a man's success
by how high he climbs but how high
he bounces when he hits bottom."

"A pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood. "

"Always do more than is required of you. "

"Wars may be fought with weapons,
but they are won by men. It is the
spirit of men who follow and of the man
who leads that gains the victory. "
no sig

Steel
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:26 am

getbornagain wrote:
anyone remember what our peak production was?
I think this is it, our weeklies were hovering just above 10,000 before and now it's around 22,000. I've just added an XP 2100+ to help heat my home, if anyone else out there is thinking of joining up, give it a try; it's painless.

JohnnyQ
Gerbil XP

Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:45 am

nulfire wrote:
Diss- You guys in the top ten of our team(well everyone for that matter, but the top ten specifically) have been doing an amazing job. Thanks for carrying us for all this time.

I'll second that!

Also, I have to confess that I'm having the worst case of uhh, cognitive dissonance atm. All because of being pushed out of the high 70s into the mid 90s of our team ranking. It's annoying and exciting at the same time!

JQ
Slave to the Bar.

muyuubyou
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jan 24, 2003 4:02 am

Hail to our leaders !!
no sig

nulfire
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:14 pm

Hey, our cpus are at 517 now...

That's awesome. It's cool that so many more cpu's/ppl have joined up.

Steel: How many cpu's did we have at our peak? Or is this the max cpu's we've had? Just wondering.

Oh yeah, another thanks to the top ten. We hope to join you.

-nulfire

Steel
Global Moderator

Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:30 pm

Not sure, haven't been watching that too closely, though again, I think we're at our peak now for number of CPU's too. It's even higher than the artificial boost caused by people upgrading from v2 to v3 a few months back.

In other news, we're outproducing the Goons again! Keep it up, we may reclaim our place in the top 10 yet! :D

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:51 pm

muyuubyou wrote:
Some quotes from General George Patton

Was that the guy that lead an army during the Civil War? If so, this is another of his, talking about the Sharpshooters in the other army...

They couldn't hit an elephant at this...

The moral: Keep folding, they'll always creep up on us...

:-D,
IntelMole
Living proof of John Gabriel's theorem

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jan 27, 2003 3:45 am

As one of the Top 10, I thank you. 8) And I'm adding another processor tomorrow. A C3/933 admittedly but still a worthy addition. And my Dual P3 will be back folding by the end of the week I hope. It just got converted to a Linux Terminal Server for a project and I'll get the Linux client up on it ASAP.
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse

muyuubyou
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:43 am

intelmole
muyuubyou
Some quotes from General George Patton

Was that the guy that lead an army during the Civil War? If so, this is another of his, talking about the Sharpshooters in the other army...

Patton was a World War II hero. He has plenty of nice quotes :)
no sig

yarbo
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:26 pm

I've got an MSI k7d Master-L on the way, and i'm up to 6 computers here folding, although after I RMA a stick of ram, and get the dually up, i'll have 9 processors in my dorm folding. I had a lot of hardware down in December, but I'm ready to start kicking ass again.

edit: and welcome to the team! you guys have had some pretty nice stats this week
<a href=http://www.gentoo.org>Gentoo GNU/Linux</a>

nulfire
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:16 pm

Thanks Yarbo!

Quite frankly, I am shocked to hear that you are running that much in your dorm room...it must be bigger than the one's I have been in.

I mean, we don't have that many computers running the client in any one location. We have like 25 procs...somewhere. The comps we have it installed on are spread out over a fifty mile radius. You know, for backup reasons. We can't have all of our folders go down in one fire, act of god, or some other horrible event!

Anywho, good luck in getting everything going!

-nulfire

lgeis
Gerbil XP

New Heavyweights

Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:22 pm

Wow! pmeysemb is about to "smoke" me, and I'm running some pretty heavy hitters (Silicon Graphics). Whattya have under the hood?

Nulfire/Druid is blasting up the charts with 24 processors active! The Juggernaut's got 13...fabulous!

I have 3 other SGI duallies but don't have the time to set them up...they're actually in mothballs, part of my "collection." No accounting for the wierd things some folks do, eh?

Looks like Team TR has rejuvenated! Still, I can't dispose of all of my appreciation for 2CPU...

Kuhtarl
Gerbil XP

Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:04 pm

I'm retired. I still fold for TR, but under a different name.
Rank checking (several dozen times a day) was too stressful for me. :(

I may sit at #3 for a while, but my production is off. Eventually I'll be passed. (Although I suspect someone is folding in my name).

Good luck to the rest of the team. :)

Druid
Gerbil In Training
Location: Somewhere in private IP ranges looking for folding stats.

1st Linux Folder online for Nulfire/Druid

Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:57 pm

Nulfire and I have just put our 1st Linux folding machine online. Red Hat 8.0, but its only a P2-400Mhz. (HP LC3 Netserver)

We figure even if another horrible Micr$oft virus comes along, at least our linux server will still be folding.