Pika calls out Darwin, folding showdown!

Come join the... uh... er... fold.

Moderators: just brew it!, farmpuma

Re: UnitedGerbilNation's drive to the Top

Postposted on Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:26 am

pikaporeon wrote:I really dislike the UGN concept, I'm too much of an individualist, but if you decide to take on segfault i'll commit half my Q9300's WUs.

Which is fine. Just fold for team 2630. Nothing wrong with that.

UGN and F&F is the most serious "race" in a while. We need more of this actually. If you are folding individually, you can always pick some user and call them up and challenge them to a race (either you are catching a person and tell him/her to wake up, or you are behind someone but think you can ramp up to catch him/her). It may not be as epic scale as leor vs drfish, but you can pick your own races. 8)
Image
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 24141
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 1:19 am

Re: UnitedGerbilNation's drive to the Top

Postposted on Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:27 pm

Sounds fun : )
My Dreamcast PC thread
Main Rig: FX-6100 / Radeon 6950 / Velociraptor HD because old school rotations
pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1308
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:42 pm
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada.

Re: UnitedGerbilNation's drive to the Top

Postposted on Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:50 pm

pikaporeon wrote:Sounds fun : )


Indeed! :D
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
Image
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!
jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3181
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Re: UnitedGerbilNation's drive to the Top

Postposted on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:16 pm

I'd want to take on David independantly ;p just to see how he is without his team behind him as he's quickly supplanting Jeff as the most vocal UGNer
My Dreamcast PC thread
Main Rig: FX-6100 / Radeon 6950 / Velociraptor HD because old school rotations
pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1308
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:42 pm
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada.

Re: UnitedGerbilNation's drive to the Top

Postposted on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:26 pm

pikaporeon wrote:I'd want to take on David independantly ;p just to see how he is without his team behind him as he's quickly supplanting Jeff as the most vocal UGNer


I'm all talk. I really have no machines, I claim other ppl's work units as my own :D :D :D

erm, and I'm typing this on a blackberry, yeah, that's the ticket...

You can tale on my old ID if you like, I was darwin00214 as my folding name before I switched to UGN. You'll note there appears to still be a machine folding under my old name. I think it is my aunt's.

Well I'll be dammed.... Check this out

Image

The timing of your gauntlet throw is quite coincidental. Looks like you'll catch me in a week.

Whaddaya say UGN, should I switch back to my old name and put the smack down on peekypo?
Image
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.
Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3286
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: The Smoky Back Room

Re: UnitedGerbilNation's drive to the Top

Postposted on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:38 pm

david00214 wrote:
pikaporeon wrote:I'd want to take on David independantly ;p just to see how he is without his team behind him as he's quickly supplanting Jeff as the most vocal UGNer


I'm all talk. I really have no machines, I claim other ppl's work units as my own :D :D :D

erm, and I'm typing this on a blackberry, yeah, that's the ticket...

You can tale on my old ID if you like, I was darwin00214 as my folding name before I switched to UGN. You'll note there appears to still be a machine folding under my old name. I think it is my aunt's.

Well I'll be dammed.... Check this out

Image

The timing of your gauntlet throw is quite coincidental. Looks like you'll catch me in a week.

Whaddaya say UGN, should I switch back to my old name and put the smack down on peekypo?

I say go for it. With FBW gone on vacation we will need a race for everyone to watch. Create a new thread and let the trashtalking begin!

Better set a time limit though.
Image
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 24141
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 1:19 am

Re: UnitedGerbilNation's drive to the Top

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:30 am

Flying Fox wrote:
david00214 wrote:
pikaporeon wrote:I'd want to take on David independantly ;p just to see how he is without his team behind him as he's quickly supplanting Jeff as the most vocal UGNer


I'm all talk. I really have no machines, I claim other ppl's work units as my own :D :D :D

erm, and I'm typing this on a blackberry, yeah, that's the ticket...

You can tale on my old ID if you like, I was darwin00214 as my folding name before I switched to UGN. You'll note there appears to still be a machine folding under my old name. I think it is my aunt's.

Well I'll be dammed.... Check this out

Image

The timing of your gauntlet throw is quite coincidental. Looks like you'll catch me in a week.

Whaddaya say UGN, should I switch back to my old name and put the smack down on peekypo?

I say go for it. With FBW gone on vacation we will need a race for everyone to watch. Create a new thread and let the trashtalking begin!

Better set a time limit though.


Yeah, and convert just enough of you PCs to tease him on but never catch you. :D
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
Image
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!
jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3181
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Re: UnitedGerbilNation's drive to the Top

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:55 am

How long should this last? I'm switching over a system or two today. Hmm what's a good thread title? And I need some image ideas :D
Image
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.
Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3286
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: The Smoky Back Room

Re: UnitedGerbilNation's drive to the Top

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:38 am

well clearly more than a week as that's when I'm set to catch you if you change nothing ; ]
My Dreamcast PC thread
Main Rig: FX-6100 / Radeon 6950 / Velociraptor HD because old school rotations
pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1308
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:42 pm
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada.

Re: UnitedGerbilNation's drive to the Top

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am

pika and david, please ask the mods to split off the last few posts and give them the new thread title. Need to define and start and end time of the race too.

Bring this on, we at the UGN will be dropping by and cheer you on (or stir up more fire?). :D
Image
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 24141
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 1:19 am

Re: UnitedGerbilNation's drive to the Top

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:51 am

Flying Fox wrote:pika and david, please ask the mods to split off the last few posts and give them the new thread title. Need to define and start and end time of the race too.

Bring this on, we at the UGN will be dropping by and cheer you on (or stir up more fire?). :D


Pot stirring is one of my favorite activities! :P I hear that whenever Picahoo sneezes, pink elephants fly out of his butt! :lol: No way he can catch David. :wink:
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
Image
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!
jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3181
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Re: UnitedGerbilNation's drive to the Top

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:39 am

Threadsplit request is sent. Got a few machines switched over, but it'll be a day or so before stuff is hitting reliably.

How long should this go? 1 month? If he gains and stays within a week of me he wins? What's fair?

I say stay because he may get inside of a week before my systems start reporting, but I hope not :D :D :D
Image
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.
Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3286
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: The Smoky Back Room

Re: UnitedGerbilNation's drive to the Top

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:41 pm

I dismantled my entire farm so it's going to take me a while to report too.

Lets say June 6 is the cutoff?
My Dreamcast PC thread
Main Rig: FX-6100 / Radeon 6950 / Velociraptor HD because old school rotations
pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1308
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:42 pm
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada.

Re: UnitedGerbilNation's drive to the Top

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:17 pm

pikaporeon wrote:I dismantled my entire farm so it's going to take me a while to report too.

Lets say June 6 is the cutoff?


GULP :o

Uh, you're hitting 2k PPD without your farm? I could be in trouble.
Image
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.
Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3286
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: The Smoky Back Room

Re: UnitedGerbilNation's drive to the Top

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:09 pm

Nah, my farm is small, I don't have room for multiple boxes, so I had to replace one with another
My Dreamcast PC thread
Main Rig: FX-6100 / Radeon 6950 / Velociraptor HD because old school rotations
pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1308
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:42 pm
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada.

Re: UnitedGerbilNation's drive to the Top

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:48 pm

pikaporeon wrote:Nah, my farm is small, I don't have room for multiple boxes, so I had to replace one with another


OK, we can use 6 June as the deadline. Let's put a cap on it though. If you get within 1 week on the threat list and stay there for 5 days you win. If I get outside of 2 weeks and stay there for 5 days I win. Forfeit is also an option. Agreed?

Now, time to crank up my superfolder war machine 8)

Image

Ah and if I win, you fold for UGN for 1 month, yes?
Image
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.
Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3286
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: The Smoky Back Room

Re: UnitedGerbilNation's drive to the Top

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:57 pm

Sure, but let;s set a "Start date" for April 21 so we can't lose this week while we're making sure our farms are working and reporting.

if I lose, I'll fold for 30 days or 100 000 points for UGN, whatever comes first.
If you lose, just fold two SMP work units for me, I like earning my share, but I'd like to make up for the couple of WUs I lost during my upgrade
My Dreamcast PC thread
Main Rig: FX-6100 / Radeon 6950 / Velociraptor HD because old school rotations
pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1308
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:42 pm
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada.

Re: UnitedGerbilNation's drive to the Top

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:10 pm

pikaporeon wrote:Sure, but let;s set a "Start date" for April 21 so we can't lose this week while we're making sure our farms are working and reporting.

if I lose, I'll fold for 30 days or 100 000 points for UGN, whatever comes first.
If you lose, just fold two SMP work units for me, I like earning my share, but I'd like to make up for the couple of WUs I lost during my upgrade


Terms are agreed :D except...

I have re-thought my winning terms. Since the threat times can change drastically, 2 weeks for me is probably too small. Let's say if your overtake of me goes beyond the June 6 deadline and stays beyond June 6 for 5 days, then I win. That will keep things interesting :)
Image
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.
Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3286
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: The Smoky Back Room

Re: UnitedGerbilNation's drive to the Top

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:15 pm

Okay
My Dreamcast PC thread
Main Rig: FX-6100 / Radeon 6950 / Velociraptor HD because old school rotations
pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1308
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:42 pm
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada.

Pika calls out Darwin, folding showdown!

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:14 pm

I might not be able to do any roasting of a fine member of the upper gerbil echelon until I get this processor folding properly.
I'll give you an update on if it's working tomorrow when i'll presumably have a WU or two complete

----

farmpuma edit (19 April 08) - Split from UnitedGerbilNation's drive to the Top
My Dreamcast PC thread
Main Rig: FX-6100 / Radeon 6950 / Velociraptor HD because old school rotations
pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1308
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:42 pm
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada.

Re: Pika calls out Darwin, folding showdown!

Postposted on Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:13 am

Split gives me triple post, but gotta say, it's on.

























Like Donkey Kong.
My Dreamcast PC thread
Main Rig: FX-6100 / Radeon 6950 / Velociraptor HD because old school rotations
pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1308
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:42 pm
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada.

Re: Pika calls out Darwin, folding showdown!

Postposted on Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:41 am

Let the race and trashtalking begin! :D
Image
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 24141
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 1:19 am

Re: Pika calls out Darwin, folding showdown!

Postposted on Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:53 pm

pikaporeon wrote:Split gives me triple post, but gotta say, it's on.

Like Donkey Kong.



Oh, it's on. Yeeesssssssss. It's on. Hay YAHHHH

Image

This is a picture of me just before we lay the smackdown on the F&F gang. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Image
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.
Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3286
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: The Smoky Back Room

Re: Pika calls out Darwin, folding showdown!

Postposted on Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:29 pm

Ugh, How am I supposed to hit on all cylinders with my wife's machine giving me fits. Running stock CPU speeds I'm having lockups.... I think my Nvidia mobo is to blame. It's a 590i chipset, ASUS M2N32 SLI mobo. I have a 7950GX2 videocard. There is no use for this hardware in her PC.

Do you guys think this would be a decent replacement? and might provide added stability?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131289

I currently have a 5000+ AM2 Black Edition CPU in the system, but would like this system to be capable of running a Phenom in case I decide to go for the extra folding power. Would this 780G motherboard support the 125 watt CPUs?

Or should I just say to heck with it and go Intel?

Image
Image
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.
Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3286
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: The Smoky Back Room

Re: Pika calls out Darwin, folding showdown!

Postposted on Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:06 pm

maybe it's a non-mobo issue?

I'm still having reporting issues.
My Dreamcast PC thread
Main Rig: FX-6100 / Radeon 6950 / Velociraptor HD because old school rotations
pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1308
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:42 pm
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada.

Re: Pika calls out Darwin, folding showdown!

Postposted on Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:18 pm

pikaporeon wrote:maybe it's a non-mobo issue?

I'm still having reporting issues.


I just had two WUs post from past periods....

No it's not a reporting issue. The PC just locks up. I have to hit the restart button.

I think it's an Nvidia driver issue with the mobo or videocard. Since this is a basic use PC, seems like a good idea to replace both with an AMD integrated mobo. But will the one I picked out support all the Phenoms?

Image
Image
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.
Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3286
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: The Smoky Back Room

Re: Pika calls out Darwin, folding showdown!

Postposted on Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:45 pm

Peekeepookeee, I didn't see one of the big SMPO WUs for you yesterday. Is your quad yup and running?

Image
Image
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.
Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3286
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: The Smoky Back Room

Re: Pika calls out Darwin, folding showdown!

Postposted on Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:17 am

As I've been saying, my machine has been choking and dying when it tries to send off WUs. I've done damn near everything, down to hard deleting the entire client.

Edit: another WU unable to send. I'm using VMWare Player now to try and spawn instances that might be sendable. Supposedly this increases speed, but I can't run VMW server, so we'll see.
My Dreamcast PC thread
Main Rig: FX-6100 / Radeon 6950 / Velociraptor HD because old school rotations
pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1308
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:42 pm
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada.

Re: Pika calls out Darwin, folding showdown!

Postposted on Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:06 am

If you're running Vista then yeah VMServer is a non-solution.

VMPlayer, however, will work just fine. I'm using that on my system right now.
Image
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.
Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3286
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: The Smoky Back Room

Re: Pika calls out Darwin, folding showdown!

Postposted on Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:16 am

yea I have two instances going now. Seems to be working decently. i figure they'll finish up around 1-2 am this morning and then i can see if they actually fired off a WU or not.
My Dreamcast PC thread
Main Rig: FX-6100 / Radeon 6950 / Velociraptor HD because old school rotations
pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1308
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:42 pm
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada.

Next

Return to TR Distributed Computing Effort

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests