Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Re: As the Work Unit Crunches

Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:58 pm

Yes, and... that's enough. :wink:

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:48 pm

Well, I figured out that I was doing something wrong and my priority changing task wasn't operating properly on FahCore_14.exe cores, and once I fixed that, my 9600GSO's PPD tripled. Whoops.

It sure would have been helpful if I'd have noticed that a month or so ago. :oops:

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:07 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
Well, I figured out that I was doing something wrong and my priority changing task wasn't operating properly on FahCore_14.exe cores, and once I fixed that, my 9600GSO's PPD tripled. Whoops.

It sure would have been helpful if I'd have noticed that a month or so ago. :oops:

Better late than never. :wink:
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:31 pm

Yes, but it especially would have been better before I assured everyone that it couldn't be anything I was doing wrong. :lol:

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:44 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
Yes, but it especially would have been better before I assured everyone that it couldn't be anything I was doing wrong. :lol:

If it helps, we'd put absolutely no faith in your "it's not user error" assessment :)

j/k
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:55 pm

Gee, thanks. That makes me feel much better.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:42 pm

Now I'm starting to wonder if there really are problems with my 8800GT. It seems to be performing more slowly than the 9600GSO in comparable WU's, now that the latter has been sped back up.

The temps it's showing in GPU-Z aren't that high, but I do wonder if there's a problem of the new eco-stupid solder. I need to find some sort of way to test it. And I'd also like to find whatever it is other nVidia GPU owners have found to tell them how to make the fan run at 100% in Rivatuner. I suppose I'd have to read documentation that came with that utility, but sheesh, that's a lot of work. :lol:

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:58 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
Now I'm starting to wonder if there really are problems with my 8800GT. It seems to be performing more slowly than the 9600GSO in comparable WU's, now that the latter has been sped back up.

The temps it's showing in GPU-Z aren't that high, but I do wonder if there's a problem of the new eco-stupid solder. I need to find some sort of way to test it. And I'd also like to find whatever it is other nVidia GPU owners have found to tell them how to make the fan run at 100% in Rivatuner. I suppose I'd have to read documentation that came with that utility, but sheesh, that's a lot of work. :lol:

The fan settings for rivatuner are in the same place as where you OC. It's just a different tab.

When my GTX280 failed one of the first things that went wrong with it was that rivatuner couldn't detect it(the pop up that appears when you first enable driver level overclocking). Maybe if you are having rivatuner issues it's a sign your card is also failing.
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:52 pm

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
The fan settings for rivatuner are in the same place as where you OC. It's just a different tab.

I've looked around a number of times, and see no information in the tab I think is the correct one:

If I knew what numbers to plug in and where, things would be considerably easier.

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
When my GTX280 failed one of the first things that went wrong with it was that rivatuner couldn't detect it(the pop up that appears when you first enable driver level overclocking). Maybe if you are having rivatuner issues it's a sign your card is also failing.

I'm not having any issues other than not knowing what to change, as far as I know. And of course that the new cores made both of my GPUs crash a lot until I slowed the shaders down a fair amount.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:46 pm

Hi Ragnar,

Start RivaTuner.

Go to the "Main" tab. On the top portion of the "Main" tab there is a section named "Target Adapter". Your video card/monitor combo should show up there. If you have more than one video card on your motherboard, then use the dropdown window to select your 8800GT.

"Click" on the customize icon on the lower right of the "Target Adapter" section. Then "click" on the first image which is the really old looking video card. The pop-up screen you get will allow you to manually control your GPU fan. "Check" the box to enable low level fan control and then set your desired level of fannage (0-100%). "Check" the box that says, "enable fan settings on windows startup" to ensure you get the fan speed you wanted every time you restart your computer.

You may get a pop-up box that asks to "Detect" your adapter or restart your computer. I always choose to detect the adapter.

Hope this helps! :D
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!

lou15214
Gerbil

Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:09 am

Ragnar, I have 2 EVGA 8800GT's that I tune using EVGA Precision 1.6.1 from the EVGA site. It's similar to RIVA and you can also get it from GURU3D site. I was using 1.5 version and they just came out with 1.6.1 recently that has ability to tune several cards at the same time or all at once(up to 4 nvidia cards) I let it go for a while on automatic under load and the fan(set initially at 30%)starts to ramp up after the temp reaches ~70C then goes up to ~85C with the fan at 60-65% where it levels off. I usually fold with the fan set at 100% and the temps usually don't go over 70C.
ASUS P5N-E SLI,[email protected], 4X2Gb GSKILLS(F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ),CM CENTURION 590 CASE,2EVGA 8800GT 512 GPU,ZALMAN 750W-HP, ZALMAN CPNS9700 HSF COOLER, 2-SATA WD6400AAKS.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:59 pm

jeffry55 wrote:
Hi Ragnar,

Start RivaTuner.

Go to the "Main" tab. On the top portion of the "Main" tab there is a section named "Target Adapter". Your video card/monitor combo should show up there. If you have more than one video card on your motherboard, then use the dropdown window to select your 8800GT.

"Click" on the customize icon on the lower right of the "Target Adapter" section. Then "click" on the first image which is the really old looking video card. The pop-up screen you get will allow you to manually control your GPU fan. "Check" the box to enable low level fan control and then set your desired level of fannage (0-100%). "Check" the box that says, "enable fan settings on windows startup" to ensure you get the fan speed you wanted every time you restart your computer.

You may get a pop-up box that asks to "Detect" your adapter or restart your computer. I always choose to detect the adapter.

Hope this helps! :D

I appreciate the help, but mine doesn't work that way. The thing with the old looking video card is on the Customize button under Driver settings, and that only brings up the sliders for the core clock, shader clock, and memory. If I click what you describe, it brings up the monitor looking group of icons (I added the little part that pops up above the Customize button, here):

Could be my combination of lazy and stupid working against me here, but...

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:01 pm

lou15214 wrote:
Ragnar, I have 2 EVGA 8800GT's that I tune using EVGA Precision 1.6.1 from the EVGA site. It's similar to RIVA and you can also get it from GURU3D site. I was using 1.5 version and they just came out with 1.6.1 recently that has ability to tune several cards at the same time or all at once(up to 4 nvidia cards) I let it go for a while on automatic under load and the fan(set initially at 30%)starts to ramp up after the temp reaches ~70C then goes up to ~85C with the fan at 60-65% where it levels off. I usually fold with the fan set at 100% and the temps usually don't go over 70C.

I've got an EVGA card in someone else's machine, so maybe I'll try that utility. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm generally against that sort of thing since they usually work worse than generalized utilities, sort of like the motherboard monitoring and overclocking utilities included with mobos, but I'll see what EVGA's looks like since I've got nothing better, so far.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:10 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
lou15214 wrote:

I've got an EVGA card in someone else's machine, so maybe I'll try that utility. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm generally against that sort of thing since they usually work worse than generalized utilities, sort of like the motherboard monitoring and overclocking utilities included with mobos, but I'll see what EVGA's looks like since I've got nothing better, so far.

You don't have this?

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:13 pm

Nope.

Mine (v. 2.24, running on XP Pro) only has 3 tabs: Overclocking, Compatibility, & Overlay. I also notice it doesn't show temps in GPU-Z for some reason.

Edit: I notice that it does show up on my 8800GT (also XP Pro), however. I must've missed it being on that machine since I run it on this other system so much more often.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:23 pm

Oh, these things can annoy.

I rebooted the 8800GT machine today, because AVG forced me to. OK, I figured, what the heck, it's not performing all that well any more anyway, so I'll do it right now...

And when it restarted, ba-boom, the production increases from ~3190 PPD to ~4672 PPD. Before my recent extra slowness on that machine, I had made no changes. In seeking a solution, I first restarted the machine to make sure there was nothing strange bringing its performance down as I've seen happen before. That didn't bring any change, so then I installed the software I have on my main machine, used to increase the priority of each GPU FahCore_??.exe process periodically to make sure there's nothing else taking precious polling time away, as happens on the main machine due to the Linux SMP client &c.

Yep, they can be a PITA. OTOH, I'm now up to supposedly over 15K PPD, though that varies greatly depending on the GPU WUs.

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:45 am

Yep, I find a machine restart brings my GPU and Win SMP clients back to full speed. My 100MHz FSB dual Xeons need a restart after each work unit.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:21 pm

I only recall having seen restarts change output when there was some major change such as a Windows update that required it and for whatever reason slowed everything down until after the restart. Yeah, it's waiting to "delete" and replace files on shutdown, but that should not slow things down.

I think those dual Xeons of yours are messed up. Are they 32 bit and running Windows? 100 MHz FSB seems like P2, P3 era.

farmpuma
Topic Author
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:55 am

I've seen points per day gradually decrease on ALL my windowz clients as XP leaks memory and remembers to much.

Yep, these Xeons are messed up. I believe they are early P4 derivatives. CPU-Z reports them as "Prestonia" cores with 130 nm technology on 604 mPGA sockets. They have hyper-threading (which I turned off in the bios), SSE2 optimizations, and are running XP. The multiplier is 24x (who thought this was a good idea?), "Buss Speed" is 100MHz, "Rated FSB" is 400MHz (ha ha), L1 cache is 8KBs, L1 Trace is 12Kuops, and L2 cache is 512KBs. The two 512MB sticks of registered PC3200 (thank you again, idastiffie) are limping along 1:1 at 100MHz. They and the mobo were a compgeeks combo and in my excitement at finding such a low priced deal which could use registered dimms I forgot to read the compgeeks specs VERY carefully. A deal to good to be true? Yep. They take about three and half days to crunch a 2653 SMP work unit and every time I check their progress the points per day have dropped a bit. I keep them running at 500+ points per day and a few times I've seen them hit almost 550 PPD after an OS restart. One of these days I will jack up the memory sticks and slide something decent under them.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:30 pm

farmpuma wrote:
I've seen points per day gradually decrease on ALL my windowz clients as XP leaks memory and remembers to much.

Hm, that's peculiar.

I am finding lately that my main box is running the Idle Process more than it used to, though I may not have noticed it when I first began GPU folding because of the massive increase in points. Once its output started declining significantly, that's when I began noticing the idle process.

But your dual P4-Xeon setup sounds like it's probably more trouble electricity-usage-wise than it's worth, especially since you have to use those big WU's which probably take forever to download and upload over the phone. I'd probably sell it and get a new system that can run the smaller WU's to replace it.

farmpuma
Topic Author

Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:52 pm

Yeah, I should connect the old moldy Xeons to my Kill-a-Watt and check the power draw, but they run so cool with their bricko' copper heatsinks (cool to the touch) and so slow that I doubt they draw more than 100 watts. During the summer they night fold a couple of single core clients and I've seen 700 PPD total with a couple of the rare DGromacs.

On the last batch of DGromacs Stanford added some server restrictions which make it almost impossible to sneaker-net and may have even killed three of my finished work units which were only held for a few hours in a temp folder during a sleep and/or away cycle. The discussion is on going in this thread on the Folding Forums. And I still can't believe they are trying to discourage the most effective use of our hardware and the quickest possible work unit returns with these restrictions.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:13 pm

Well that certainly sucks.

Did Stanford announce the new restrictions, or just enact them and then people began to notice and complain? I've been considering testing running a simple console client on my XP Pro 8800GT machine since it's doing nothing else, and since the GPU client/cores don't do as well as used to be the case. I know that problem won't affect that machine, but it's still something to give me pause about any more effort put into the whole thing.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu May 21, 2009 3:49 pm

Is it just me and a few others over on the foldingforum.org site, or are other GPU folders not getting work units?

Maybe you haven't noticed. Yet another reason there should be fewer involved in that silly collectivistic UGN thing. Speaking of SCT's...

Stanford: as reliable and responsible as (most) government bureaucrats.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 21, 2009 4:17 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
Is it just me and a few others over on the foldingforum.org site, or are other GPU folders not getting work units?

Maybe you haven't noticed. Yet another reason there should be fewer involved in that silly collectivistic UGN thing. Speaking of SCT's...

To each his own, mini-folder.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu May 21, 2009 4:54 pm

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
Ragnar Dan wrote:
[wisdom removed for the feelings of the sensitive]

Why not answer the pertinent question?

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 21, 2009 5:06 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
Ragnar Dan wrote:
[wisdom removed for the feelings of the sensitive]

I was merely responding in kind.

On the WU front, I noticed a dip in my PPD yesterday, but I did not look to make sure my cards were folding. I was out of town.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu May 21, 2009 11:43 pm

[edited to comply with the 3-embedded-quote limitation]

Ragnar Dan wrote:

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
Ragnar Dan wrote:
Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:

[In this response I edited my original post in my reply's quotation to remove the evidently irksome portion]

I was merely responding in kind.

Really? How so? I pointed out the fact that those who are part of a collective group past a certain size can't see their WU's uploading individually any longer, which forces them to do more work locally to detect their problems than those who maintain usernames. That's simply fact. I followed that with some of my standard fun-poking at UGN as though it were a coercive organization, which I'm known to do when the opportunity arises, and then another such remark about Stanford allowing their greatest computation source, GPU's, to go wanting for new WU's because of their server problems.

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
On the WU front, I noticed a dip in my PPD yesterday, but I did not look to make sure my cards were folding. I was out of town.

Are you saying you can read your PPD from remote machines, with some sort of setup like just brew it! has, perhaps?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri May 22, 2009 12:05 am

Ragnar Dan wrote:
Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:

Are you saying you can read your PPD from remote machines, with some sort of setup like just brew it! has, perhaps?

Any serious folder, being part of a subteam or not, can always monitor their progress with programs like FahMon. Snubbing subteams with the argument of not being able to monitor their ppd is not entirely accurate.

It also does not necessarily mean that people within a subteam cannot sign on individiually in foldingforum and complain, no?

At least you fold and not like Meadows, so I forgive you. :P
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Fri May 22, 2009 2:55 pm

I am aware of FAHmon, most of its capabilities (except why I would want to "Collect .xyz files" since I don't know their purpose and generally despise any Help Contents which follows a decades-old standard form in the menu but then sneakily forces open a browser and directs one to some previously unidentified site), and lack thereof (such as sorting a queue [or at least listing it in sorted order], or retaining addresses without losing and then rediscovering them...). I didn't say they couldn't monitor their PPD, I said, to quote my earlier quoted self, "Maybe you haven't noticed. Yet another reason there should be fewer involved in that silly collectivistic UGN thing." In other words, it's more difficult to monitor one's production in a collective. FAHmon will sit there telling you that your waiting GPU is at whatever PPD the last WU produced, even if it's been days since a new one was downloaded. Mine fooled me for a while that way when I was busy. Thus my post notifying others of the situation.

I believe my disparagement of subteams was fully accurate for most users unless they're so dedicated that they spend time that most people are not willing to consume monitoring their clients, or if they have something else to help their situation like the code just brew it! wrote to help him when he's not home. But again, I will point out that it was written in a humorous tone for those who have read my previous pretended comparisons of UGN to a system like that of Soviet Russia. Every time I make such a post, it has the intended effect of helping members of UGN achieve better production even while I'm mocking them.

My use of the phrase "remote machines" was to indicate being able to read it from a non-LAN environment, such as from a browser on a computer in another city. I mentioned JBI's setup to make that clear for any who didn't catch the meaning, though evidently that wasn't enough. JBI has some sort of web server setup, I believe, on which he at least used to publish a text output of his various machines' WU production. It's been a while since I looked at it, but he has posted a link to it at least once in the last 2-3 years.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 22, 2009 7:53 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
I am aware of FAHmon... blah blah blah... least once in the last 2-3 years.

And this folks is what we call a diatribe!