Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

eckslax
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Raising app priority for F@H

Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:01 am

For the times that I am away from my computer, I was wondering if raising the application priority from idle to normal or high would make any difference when folding. I'm new to the whole folding thing, so if you can clear this up for me I would be greatful.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:16 am

Thats probably not the best idea, especially setting the priority to above normal or more, as this will most likely lock your machine, as it will steal processor time from almost all the programs running.

FAH uses all the processor time it can even at idle.

Raising the processor time will probably only speed up how fast you reset your computer. :-)

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:44 pm

I have F@H running as a service on one of my machines, and I think that it runs a little faster when I log off and just have the login box waiting for me. If true, I assume that's at least partially because the programs that load at startup aren't taking any cycles.

It would be nice if someone with the desire got a WU and tested it on all sorts of different machines, OSes, setups, etc., to see how things really affected performance. But, most people aren't interested enough to go through all the work involved, including myself.

Edit: I also think it's good to run F@H as a service because then if the system restarts for some reason, for example if the power dies and the UPS fails, then it won't be waiting for me to login again before restarting F@H.

eckslax
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:29 pm

Ok, that makes sense. Since most of the CPU cycles are idle when I am not at the computer, I guess that it is already using most of it. Thanks for clearing that up for me. It would be interesting for someone to test what the ideal conditions are for folding.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

Yahoolian
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:30 pm

eckslax wrote:
It would be interesting for someone to test what the ideal conditions are for folding.

An OS that only does folding : ).

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:42 pm

I am waiting to get software that will let me make a successful bootable CD-ROM. So far I have 3-4 coasters to my credit. The last try seemed to be working, but then the darned thing just booted straight through to the hard drive again on the machine I was testing. Could be that machine, of course. I should test it on a more reliable one to be certain.

(I hate having thoughts like that while writing up a post. Dummy!)

Anyway, the point of this is that there is software that someone made that does just that, or nearly so. http://sourceforge.net/projects/ofdx/ is the software I've been trying to make a boot disk out of. If it works, I can make at least one machine use it to fold with. I'll see (as soon as I figure out why that old machine isn't detecting any drives).

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:09 pm

eckslax, as long as you don't have any other CPU-intenstive background tasks running, you are probably best off leaving the priority of the folding client the way it is. It is designed to take all CPU cycles that aren't needed for anything else; raising it to high may cause problems.

On my my system, the folding client typically gets about 97% of the CPU when the system is just sitting there with a bunch of other apps and browser windows open. IMO getting that last 3% isn't worth the potential trouble.

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:41 pm

Yahoolian wrote:
eckslax wrote:
It would be interesting for someone to test what the ideal conditions are for folding.

An OS that only does folding : ).

Hmm. shell=FAH3Console.exe? :D

Yahoolian
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:38 pm

absurdity wrote:
Hmm. shell=FAH3Console.exe? :D

Hehe but it wont be able to communicate w/ Stanford.
:-?