NotFred's Diskless folding issue

Come join the... uh... er... fold.

Moderators: just brew it!, farmpuma

NotFred's Diskless folding issue

Postposted on Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:49 pm

Greetings forums,

I'm currently running an Ubuntu 8.04 with Not Fred's Diskless folding server. When I set this up about a month ago, it was working fine and I was able to track clients and their status. Not when I go to the web interface of the folding computer, the main page comes up, explaining the user, team, preferences and so forth. When I click on Unit Info or View log file I'm not getting any data. I'm getting 404 document not found. On one of my computers I'm getting a message that says grep: /etc/folding/1/fahlog.txt: No such file or directory. It appears it's folding, because on all three computers I'm able to download the backup of WU. Any ideas?

Thanks guys,
burkis04
Gerbil In Training

Re: NotFred's Diskless folding issue

Postposted on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:01 pm

It's dead, definitely not folding. I suspect the backup is actually not really doing anything. Which version of my stuff are you running? Stanford changed the URL for the client download and I updated to the new one on 17th July, if you have an older version it may not have the correct client. FYI new version out tonight anyway!
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:38 pm

I'm not sure how to determine the version I'm running. I believe I set this up in mid June. I just ran updates and upgrades to the Ubuntu box and used the wget command to re-download the boot disk files here: http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/diskless.zip. I rebooted the server and clients and am still having the same issues. Is there an updated version somewhere else?

Thanks,

EDIT: I'm now running version 080813
burkis04
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:02 pm

*Bump
burkis04
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:27 pm

Well, I got it working. I booted my clients up today and noticed that the team name and number had changed. I went in edit these to my team and saved. Didn't think about that after I re-downloaded the client. I also redid this step:

To enable the diskless machines to backup their work, touch the files

backup.$IP.A.$Instance
backup.$IP.B.$Instance
latest.$IP.$Instance

in the directory /var/lib/tftpboot/ where $IP is the IP address of the diskless folder (starting at the beginning of the range specified in the dhcpd.conf file above) and $Instance is the instance being backed up. Instance numbers start at 1 and there is one per logical processor (so 2 for HyperThreading or Dual Core processors). Also chmod 777 the files after creating them.

This appeared to fix this issue.

On another note, I don't see the new version you said you were going to release the other day...
burkis04
Gerbil In Training

Return to TR Distributed Computing Effort