Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Re: Some Power Related Folding Questions

Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:46 pm

themattman wrote:
I might start saving for a dedicated folding build as a side project of mine. I want to make sure I get the most bang for the buck with one PC, so I assume I would do a 4 video card setup.

Just to make sure, is it possible to have 4 GPU's on one motherboard fold efficiently? Will I need a quad core CPU to handle all the processing or will a dual core CPU be ok?

In terms of power, how big of a power supply would I need? Is there any type of calculator where I can determine what power supply will be good enough for a 4 video card setup that will just be folding? I'm assuming that I would get 4 8800gt's.

How many amps would the PC be drawing? Would it be anywhere near tripping the circuit breaker when connected to a standard power strip? Is there a standard tripping point? (In case I add another older PC's to the farm)

I think the best setup is without a case, on a shelf, and in the garage so you don't have to listen to little piggy's noises or be bothered by the heat. :D Plus, it will make your neighbors wonder what-in-the-heck you are up to! :lol:
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:26 pm

jeffry55 wrote:
david00214 wrote:
PPD is at 6900 for my 9800GX2. It's still underperforming :cry:

Hey David, maybe it is Vista tha is the issue. :-? My 9800 GX2 is running 4788/GPU in XP.

Are you able to manually set fan speed on your video card? I use Riva Tuner to do it and my 9800GX2 runs cools and strong with the fan set at 70%.

I am ready at this point to blame Vista. Although right now PPD is at 8787... It's usually less though.
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:22 pm

david00214 wrote:
jeffry55 wrote:
david00214 wrote:
PPD is at 6900 for my 9800GX2. It's still underperforming :cry:

Hey David, maybe it is Vista tha is the issue. :-? My 9800 GX2 is running 4788/GPU in XP.

Are you able to manually set fan speed on your video card? I use Riva Tuner to do it and my 9800GX2 runs cools and strong with the fan set at 70%.

I am ready at this point to blame Vista. Although right now PPD is at 8787... It's usually less though.

Maybe a FBW dummy plug would fix the problem. :-? :o :x .....Windows........grumble..........grumble
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!