Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Kulith
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

SETI@home causes BSOD

Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:32 am

I have a new GTX260 core 216 and I decided to start running SETI@home but it usually crashes within 15 minutes. Except ofc right now, when I'm actually sitting here waiting for it to happen to read more from the screen...

It's happened at least 20 times over the last few days, and always only when I'm running BOINC and SETI@home so it has to be this...

I only get the BSOD for a few seconds before it restarts. I managed to catch the file name NVLDDMKM.sys at the bottom, but I haven't yet got what it says after that. It also says "attempt to reset display driver and recover timeout failed."

Temps aren't a problem at all. Nothing is overclocked right now, so even with SETI running my q6600 rarely goes above 35C. Prime95 doesn't even push it over 40C when it's not overclocked.

My graphics drivers are the latest...180.48

Also, windows Problems & Solutions center calls the problem a "Video Hardware Error" or sometimes an "Unexpected Shutdown", but it can't find solutions.

Anybody have any ideas? I'll try to see if the BSOD says anything else important.

Thanks

I might, and probably will, switch to F@h in the future but right now I just want to get SETI@home working....
Core 2 quad q6600 w/ thermaltake V1 | eVGA GTX260 core216 | Abit IP35 Pro | 4gb OCZ ddr2 800 | 60GB OCZ Vertex | Corsair 750W CMPSU | Antec 900 | Samsung 206BW 20" | Windows 7 Ult x64 | Ideazon Merc Stealth & Logitech G5 | I-Trigue L3800

Ondrej Scerbej
Gerbil In Training

Re: SETI@home causes BSOD

Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:49 am

Hi there Kulith!

# Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. (On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.)

# When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select the option "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and then press ENTER. (With that boot option selected, you will have time enough to read all the BSOD information you want if/when it appears.)

I hope this helps...

OndrejSc

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:19 am

SETI@home uses the GPU now? :o :oops:
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Kulith
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:58 pm

Ondrej Scerbej wrote:
Hi there Kulith!

# Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. (On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.)

# When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select the option "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and then press ENTER. (With that boot option selected, you will have time enough to read all the BSOD information you want if/when it appears.)

I hope this helps...

OndrejSc

aha, thanks.

Will post a more complete bsod soon

Flying Fox wrote:

doesn't it? It says it utilizes nvidia cuda technology
Core 2 quad q6600 w/ thermaltake V1 | eVGA GTX260 core216 | Abit IP35 Pro | 4gb OCZ ddr2 800 | 60GB OCZ Vertex | Corsair 750W CMPSU | Antec 900 | Samsung 206BW 20" | Windows 7 Ult x64 | Ideazon Merc Stealth & Logitech G5 | I-Trigue L3800

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:53 pm

Kulith wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

doesn't it? It says it utilizes nvidia cuda technology

Well, I have not looked at their project pages for years. This apparently only happened last week or so. You will need the latest version though. Looks like they are going to tap some GPU power.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:47 pm

I wouldn't use the CUDA app yet, it has a number of issue most of them being with cranking out invalid work for a range for WUs. I think there might be some memory leaks as well. I didn't have problems with BSOD when I used it however.

They did not have a proper beta test of the app, it was also "top secret" and only spent a few days in beta. I believe this was Nvidia's wish. The quality of the released app is sub par. I would not use it for now and just use the normal optimized app. They will pound out the bugs but until they do I wouldn't bother.

There is another GPU app out there for BOINC that is not seti but I can't remember the project off hand.

Kulith
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:01 pm

The rest of the bsod doesn't really say much:
"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Attempt to reset display driver and recover timeout failed.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:
***STOP: 0x00000116 (0x86A19510, 0X8F20E0c), 0x0000000, 0x0000000Z)
***nvlddmkm.sys - Address 8F20E0C0 base at 8F200000, DateStamp 49166d40

Collecting data for crash dump...
Initializing disk for crash dump...
Begginning dump of physical memory.
Dump physical memory to disk: 100
Physical memory dump complete
Contact system administrator or technical support group for further assistance."

tfp wrote:
I wouldn't use the CUDA app yet, it has a number of issue most of them being with cranking out invalid work for a range for WUs. I think there might be some memory leaks as well. I didn't have problems with BSOD when I used it however.

They did not have a proper beta test of the app, it was also "top secret" and only spent a few days in beta. I believe this was Nvidia's wish. The quality of the released app is sub par. I would not use it for now and just use the normal optimized app. They will pound out the bugs but until they do I wouldn't bother.

There is another GPU app out there for BOINC that is not seti but I can't remember the project off hand.

In that case, would I be able to run Seti@home on my cpu and the folding@home client on the gpu? If so, how would I go about doing this

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:09 pm

That's your nVidia driver alright. It craps itself so hard that Vista is unable to reset the hardware, and your computer must reset altogether as a result. I'd complain to nVidia with this and refrain from stunning your card with SETI for the time being. Of course, the fault could as well be Berkeley's.

I don't use any of these stuff (personally, SETI is even more pointless than folding, which is an insult) - but there should be settings, right? It shouldn't be so hard to set up folding with CUDA and SETI without it.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:22 pm

yeah it seems there is an issue in the drivers themselves a few people seem to be listing a problem like yours.

I wouldn't expect there to be a problem setting up to do GPU folder and CPU for seti, but after you start it up make sure that if you are using all of the CPU cores for Seti/Boinc that the GPU app is getting enough processing power to actually run right. Nvidia has an app that shows GPU usage percentage I would use that to confirm. Just in case the priorities don't play well together.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:42 pm

tfp wrote:
Nvidia has an app that shows GPU usage percentage

How is it called?
I know AMD puts it into the drivers, I'm just wondering what it's like for nVidia.

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:26 pm

Meadows wrote:
I don't use any of these stuff (personally, SETI is even more pointless than folding, which is an insult) - but

I hope you never have a family member or friend stricken with one of the diseases that the F@H research has the potential to prevent. And if you do manage to avoid those horrors, you will probably have we who fold to thank for it.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:36 pm

don't feed the troll, guys. Or at least keep it to the front page. If you quit quoting Meadows I won't see his posts. :)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:20 pm

I believe it is an addon that uses the drivers for Nvidia, I don't think it is part of the standard driver DL.

Kulith
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:30 pm

mmmmm just wondering how to disable gpu use in BOINC? I only get about 20 or so seconds of runtime before it BSODS now so Id like to know so I can get it right already instead of having to keep rebooting...

If someone who has BOINC running could just browse through the menus for a minute Id appreciate it.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:07 am

Your best bet is to get the optimized seti app and update the app_info.xml file so that it uses the CPU app instead of the GPU app.

Also you should make sure your running the 180.XX drivers for this, it seems to work the best.

It might be worth while to go over to the seti forums if you are unsure to change what apps it uses for crunching. I think there are instructions there on how to run 3 party optimized apps.