Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: new to this, want to help. (notfred PXE)

Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:32 pm

I used Windows DHCP server and I can configure all those fancy schmancy DHCP options. Don't know if there is any good third party ones though. I essentially set up a new subnet with DHCP+RRAS (for NAT routing to my main LAN)+DNS to servicing the nodes. You can then use any tftp server I suppose (I dug up some old info for Windows 2000 and turned on tftp server on the same box).
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Shinare
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:35 pm

Thanks for that FF. Yesterday I tried a different software called DualServer which was on sourceforge. Its a DNS and DHCP server thats supposed to have all DHCP options. It would dole out the IP to the correct MAC complete with the right host name, but I was unable to get it to get the PXE from the tftp server. Unfortunately, the config file is just a txt .ini file with a zillion things in it and would require more time than I have today to comb through. I just went back to using it all in TFTPd32 temporarily until I have time to bang it out. I still dont know why I get all the ACK block stuff when downloading the files to the client. I'm going to try using different cable/port/NIC in the little server I have. Maybe that will make a difference. Maybe its something with my switch (Linksys SRW2048) which also has a zillion options to tweak. :)

On a side note. I'm noticing what look to be hangs, but are not reported as such in fahmon which just shows them sitting there not progressing. I have to kill the folding cores and reboot. I read in another thread that sometimes cores hang in linux but there is a work-around script. Is this something built into the notfred stuff? If so then that's not what my problem is, heh.

BTW, I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but thank you so much for everyone's efforts. A special "tip of the hat" goes notfred's way for having such a cool and almost no-brainer diskless setup available to anyone who wants to use it.
For with what measure you measure it will be measured to you.

Shinare
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:46 pm

OK, I'm going to re-pose this question as I am having doubt about what I thought was the correct answer. In the config file for notfreds PXE do I need to have the SMPCPUS= to 2 or 4 for my dual core Core2Duo's? I have it set to the default 4.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:47 pm

I think that's just the maximum, so it wouldn't make a difference with it being 2 or 4. So just leave it at default. I could be wrong though.

Shinare
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:01 am

Welp, its been a week and 101k points. Thanks again you guys.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Re: new to this, want to help.

Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:45 am

You could read my reply earlier in the thread:
notfred wrote:
On a 2 processor setup, it won't make any difference.

It's about determining the number of copies of SMP folding to run: Number to run = Number of processors / SMPCPUs parameter

Shinare
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:35 pm

Dah.. sorry about that notfred. I'm an idiot. Thanks for all your help.