Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Pro571
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Client Application Error

Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:42 pm

Hi all:

The newest PC in my mini-farm completed one of those 70 point monsters this morning. I connected to the network for send/receive and apparently received a new WU. Shortly thereafter I experienced the following error: winfah.exe application error and will be shutdown (or something close to that). I restarted the client only to get the same error. I rebooted the sytem and once again received the error. On my third attempt, again after a reboot, I am not getting the error. The client however, is just sitting there at 0/600 completed with no sign of progress. I also did not get the 70.90 points for the recently completed WU :cry:. I am using Windows2000 SP3 and the graphical client.

Any Ideas?

boobyne
Gerbil XP

Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:49 pm

does is say "working" in the bottom left-hand corner?

check the log. It's a text file in the folding at home directory. sometimes the client holds onto the work units and submits them later when it has trouble connecting.

I get errors like that sometimes. It seems that the graphical client and splinter cell don't like each other and I need to reboot before I restart the client.

Pro571
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:18 pm

After about 90 minutes, the client began showing progress. The log file does reference the first work unit to be held in queue. Hopefully, the client will stay running to the conclusion of this job and upload both WUs. That will be a big point day if it does :D .

Thanks for your reply, boobyne.

boobyne
Gerbil XP

Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:28 pm

There is a command line to force it to submit it's queued work. Download the instructions from the folding download site.

It think that if you reboot it might try to submit the queued work when the client starts up. Try it and check the log.

Yahoolian
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:37 pm

Use the flag

-send all

to send the WU.

Pro571
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:44 pm

Yahoolian wrote:
Use the flag

-send all

to send the WU.

Will the flag work on the graphical client?

Thanks in advance.

slymaster
Gerbil XP

Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:53 pm

Don't worry about the work unit in the queue. There is a farm of servers to receive the completed work units and issue new ones. Each server handles only a few specific projects, and if that server happens to be down, you will not be able to send the work unit, but you will likely receive a new unit from a different server.

This link displays the status of the servers: http://folding.stanford.edu/serverstat.html

If you look at the project summary page, you can see which server is handling your WU.

If you want to force it to resend, stop and re-start your client - it will attempt to resend every time it restarts. If the server is overloaded, you may be just hammering a troubled machine - best to wait until things are fixed. The client will attempt to resend every few hours - you can see this in the log file. I have had this happen several times, usually with the same server (171.64.122.121), but I always received the credit eventually.

Pro571
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:11 pm

Oddly enough, the log indicates the send failure before I connected to the network. The PC had been idle (waiting for permission to connect) for about 7 hours so I guess it just gave up.

I think I will leave well enough alone. If I restart the client I could end up with the application error again.

Thanks again for all the responses.