Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Shinare
Gerbil XP

Re: New Notfred diskless version out

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:18 pm

What I think is the problem is a faulty sensor. It has to be. There are two stacks of computers next to each other, 8 of which are identical SFF computers, the 9th an old server. The top computer on the stack of 6 computers on the left is 70-75C, as well as all 5 computers under it. The top computer on the stack of 3 on the right is reporting 55-57C but the computer under it (middle of three) is reporting the same 70-75C. The bottom computer on that stack is an old server and is not folding at all. So, 7 of 8 identical computers are reporting 70-75C temps and ONE is reporting 55-57C... Sounds like the oddball one is wrong.

I dunno, I'm going to forget about it and rue the day I ever looked at that temperature link. :)
For with what measure you measure it will be measured to you.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:45 am

It's the Intel DTS sensor that's being read, and there have been some bad ones shipped in the past:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 57854.html

Shinare
Gerbil XP

Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:00 pm

Just lost another SMP folder today. :( *tear* There goes another 2k ppd. *sniff*

Shinare
Gerbil XP

Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:52 pm

OK, serious question for ya, notfred. I thought I would try out playing with VM to run on my couple of windows boxes and use your VMWare version. I set it up just fine on my first windows box with a c2d 3GHz, and its folding away with 1 instance. I put it on another windows box with a c2d 2.5GHz and for some reason its running two instances. Well, I figured that would be OK. It may do twice the work in twice the time so its not a net loss. Well, its actually taking a lot longer to do two instances than the one only doing one. They have been running over 24 hours now, and the 3GHz single instance has finished one WU and is now %53 done with its second. The other computer, both instances are at %48 on their first WU's. Is there any way to foce that other computer to only do 1 instance and have both cores working on it?

notfred
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:36 pm

In 32bit mode, it will run an instance per processor. In 64bit mode it will run an SMP per SMPCPUS parameter. I'm puzzled as to the difference, is one running 64bit and the other 32bit? Do you have both processors exposed to the VM on both machines?

Don't just go by how long it takes for a WU, they are worth widely differing points. Use something like FahMon to measure PPD.

Patonb
Gerbil

Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:45 am

Shinare,
What chip? The chip needs virtualization or something or other. My e2180 won't run a 64bit vmware, but mny q6600 does.

Now if you switched to 64bit OS, i've been told will let run 64bit vmwares.

Anyway mr. notfred, I love your disk in vmware.

Thanks
Intel Q6600 g0 @ 3.2Ghz Turniq 120 Heatsink BFG 260 OC MaxCore
2x2gb OCZ Platinums @ 1:1 XFX 680i motherboard Corsair 520hx Antec 900

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:22 am

Patonb wrote:
Shinare,
What chip? The chip needs virtualization or something or other. My e2180 won't run a 64bit vmware, but mny q6600 does.

Now if you switched to 64bit OS, i've been told will let run 64bit vmwares.

Not quite. Even with a 64-bit OS, on Intel CPUs you need the CPU to support VT to run 64-bit guests. That's why your E2180 cannot run 64-bit guests even with a 64-bit host OS and your Q6600 does.

I am in a similar situation that I am "forced" to run WinSMP on my E2160. I only have a HD 3450 so GPU folding is not practical for me points wise even compared to the "slower" WinSMP.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Shinare
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:30 am

The 2.6GHz is an E8200, which I think does have VT, and I've made sure that in the BIOS the virtualization setting is enabled, whatever that does. The 3.1GHz is an E8500.

caintry_boy
Gerbil In Training

Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:45 pm

Hey notfred, just wanted to say thanks for creating something that "kicks booty"!!! I've been running diskless for quite awhile now and my PPD have really shot up. I expect it to really go up as soon as I get this other Q6600 running.....

Thanks again!!

8)

haysdb
Gerbil In Training

Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:08 am

1) The times in FAH log files have always displayed in GMT/UTC time. The log files for my folding appliances are displaying times in my local time. Why is this?

2) When the appliance is rebooted, it always seems to download a new core. Why?
[08:36:50] Core not found.
[08:36:50] - Core is not present or corrupted.

3) When the appliance is rebooted, a lot of the time it starts a new WU. Is there a way to shut down the client that avoids this?
[08:38:02] Rejecting checkpoint

4) Is there a -pause or -oneunit option?

notfred
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:40 am

caintry_boy: Your welcome!

haysdb:
1) If you are running in a VM then it will get the time from the host and not via NTP. I suspect Windows is supplying local time through to the VM and not UTC, there might be a switch on VMWare or whatever you are running to tell it to use UTC for the guests.

2) I don't backup the core or the fah6 so they get downloaded each time, I do have a request open to do this, but it's not my next priority.

3) I believe Stanford recently released a new Core_a2 version because the old one was corrupting checkpoints. Hopefully as your boxes pick up that it should go better.

4) Request for -oneunit and also request to shutdown completely clearing out the old WU are my next things to work on.

haysdb
Gerbil In Training

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:57 am

Thanks!

ethomaz
Gerbil

Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:17 am

notfred,

I have problems with new WU 2677, see this post: http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9266&p=92035.

For process them, I have to change VM RAM to 672MB (it's minimum in my tests).

Thanks.
I'm brasilian and my English is bad, very bad.

MadCatMk2
Gerbil In Training

Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:53 am

Crazy ill Notfred man, awesome :D

guitarstar26
Gerbil In Training

Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:55 pm

Hello notfred,

I'm having trouble with the

hda1: rw=1want=2097088, limit=2088387 spammed down the consoles

I'm running two instances of your diskless app on a q6600.

Oddly enough right now only one instance has the "error" but if I let them run long enough they'll both get it. I have allocated a massive 1536mb of ram to EACH instance to see if this would help but it does not.

Any info on this would be appreciated, I'm not sure if it's even an issue. Is it just a cosmetic thing?

notfred
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:17 pm

I'm fairly sure that this is a real issue and it is a VM disk space issue rather than a RAM issue. Increasing the VM disk will not help as it has already been formatted and partitioned.

Can you check if you are running the latest version? The HTML page should report version 090302. I cleaned up the backups in version 090215 in the hopes that it would stop this issue.

guitarstar26
Gerbil In Training

Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:46 pm

notfred wrote:
I'm fairly sure that this is a real issue and it is a VM disk space issue rather than a RAM issue. Increasing the VM disk will not help as it has already been formatted and partitioned.

Can you check if you are running the latest version? The HTML page should report version 090302. I cleaned up the backups in version 090215 in the hopes that it would stop this issue.

"Diskless Folding version 090302 by Nick Reilly"

I think that's the latest version.

Any help with tweaks would be greatly appreciated...or possible a new version with another attempt at killing this bug. :)

slugbug
Gerbil

Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:40 pm

Any word if or when FahMon will properly display Notfred's diskless folding appliance progress? I know FahSpy will show progress properly but I much prefer FahMon.

guitarstar26
Gerbil In Training

Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:48 pm

slugbug wrote:
Any word if or when FahMon will properly display Notfred's diskless folding appliance progress? I know FahSpy will show progress properly but I much prefer FahMon.

Fahmon works fine for me.

Maybe you need to update version. Also, when you setup the client make sure to check "This client is on a virtual machine" checkbox.

I'm using version 2.3.99

caintry_boy
Gerbil In Training

Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:21 am

Hey notfred......having some issues with one machine. I'm getting the message "wget: bad address "www.stanford.edu
Failed to download the client from Stanfords website
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegrou ... -Linux.tgz
Please check your Gateway and DNS info....
Gateway:
awk: etc/resolv.conf: No such file or directory"

:o :o :o

notfred
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:28 am

That means that it didn't get the DHCP info correctly. Chek the network connection and also the type of network card.

caintry_boy
Gerbil In Training

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:49 am

Well I let it sit all night turned off and tried this morning, worked fine and started right up. However.....it's done it again already, and giving the same message. It's onboard LAN and I'm sure the connection is good, how do I fix it??
And while I have your attention, isn't there a newer version of the Linux SMP that we/you could be running??

:)

guitarstar26
Gerbil In Training

Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:50 am

Hey notfred, also curious on the status of the bug about 5 posts back, hda1: rw=1, want=xxxxxx, limit=xxxxx blah blah.

It doesn't seem to affect performance at all so I suppose it's low priority but just wondering if it's something that's fixable or if it's just a bug with the vmware software or the folding client.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:32 pm

caintry_boy: If it works sometimes and not others then I'm not so sure as you are that the connection is good. Newer version of the Linux client is a Beta and I've been burnt before with betas expiring at the most awkward times for me to do an update. Once they release a non-beta unified (SMP and non-SMP) client, I'll update to that.

guitarstar26: Several people have reported it. I think it may be more a bug in the way I lay out the disk than anything. I really need a root cause to dig in to it.

In other news I upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 last night, still say the same broken gcc-4.3 issue, switched the link back to gcc-4.2 but I think the build still doesn't work. Will be working on that first over the next little while.

ethomaz
Gerbil

Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:36 am

guitarstar26 wrote:
Hey notfred, also curious on the status of the bug about 5 posts back, hda1: rw=1, want=xxxxxx, limit=xxxxx blah blah.

In my error with WU 2677 this message showed in console display... I fixed it increasing the VM RAM (in my test the minimum to work was 672MB).

Patonb
Gerbil

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:55 pm

The out of space thing has always been there, but it never seems to have caused an issue.

I also alwaysed up my ram to 1Gig. If you retsart every so often it seems to keep it away.
Intel Q6600 g0 @ 3.2Ghz Turniq 120 Heatsink BFG 260 OC MaxCore
2x2gb OCZ Platinums @ 1:1 XFX 680i motherboard Corsair 520hx Antec 900

Evaders99
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:56 am

Wondering if there's any way to backing up with TFTP without using its DHCP server. I want to keep my own router configuration using DHCP. The Folding@home box is actually a Server 2008 workstation with Hyper-V enabled. It is running some other VMs, but mostly it is dedicated to VM doing SMP folding.. it loads up the diskless iso and just goes. I'd like to backing up to another machine just in case that one goes down.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:37 am

Evaders99 wrote:
Wondering if there's any way to backing up with TFTP without using its DHCP server. I want to keep my own router configuration using DHCP. The Folding@home box is actually a Server 2008 workstation with Hyper-V enabled. It is running some other VMs, but mostly it is dedicated to VM doing SMP folding.. it loads up the diskless iso and just goes. I'd like to backing up to another machine just in case that one goes down.

At one point I had a setup where I rolled my own DHCP+NAT in a separate subnet for a diskless folding VM. I used Windows 2000's built-in TFTP server (apparently after 2000 they removed the server component) and Microsoft's DHCP and DNS servers. The key to doing that is option 066, "Boot Server Host Name". The description for it is "TFTP boot server name". It basically tells the DHCP server to return that extra information for DHCP clients so it can talk TFTP to that server. So in theory, if your DHCP server in the router (consumer grade routers won't cut it, probably should be a full-blown Linux/Windows router) support 066, you should be able to disable the DHCP portion of Tftp32 and add a bit more configuration to your existing DHCP. If your router can't do that, then there are now 2 ways:
1. Use Windows file sharing to the VM and roll your own periodic backups on the work folder, most likely with your own scripts.
2. Use a subnet with your own DHCP+NAT+TFTP similar to my setup. This will be most beneficial if you have multiple VMs. This also allows you to pick the most appropriate router and TFTP server software for you.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

BrokenWolf
Gerbil In Training

Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:05 pm

notfred wrote:
Patonb wrote:
The only complaint would be not able to -oneunit it.
I'll look in to setting that up, shouldn't be too hard.

Hello NotFred. I just got turned onto your diskless folding solutions and I have to say thank you very much. I have been using RHEL4 and the install time and setup is just not fun. As most of my systems are in VMware of one flavor or another the VM Appliance is a godsend.

One thing I would like to ask for is listed above. Is there a way we could get the -oneunit command setup on the VM appliance and/or the other folding options you have? I for one would appreciate it as I have some systems that I can only use on the weekends and it is difficult to monitor them all the time as some are at remote locations.

Again thanks for spending the time to get these setup.

Broken
Folding @ Home http://teammacosx.org/

ethomaz
Gerbil

Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:21 pm

Question... the Diskless support VirtualBox 3.0.0??? I like do run VM with 4 cores (VMware support only 2).