notfred download failed

Come join the... uh... er... fold.

Moderators: just brew it!, farmpuma

notfred download failed

Postposted on Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:00 am

I tried setting up the vmware client for the first time and I'm getting a "failed to download the client" error.
It says:
wget: bad address 'www.stanford.edu'
Double check your gateway and dns information

It displays the url of the file that it is trying to download, and I can reach that URL in my browser, although I get redirected if I try to access the directory (remove the filename from the url)
It seems like a dns problem with my player, although it lists the correct dns servers. I've tried this at home and work and neither worked.
Could this be caused by virtualization not being supported? I didn't see it as an option in the bios. I figured lack of virtualization might slow the folding, but it doesn't seem like it should cause networking issues.
TheClassic
Gerbil In Training

Re: notfred download failed

Postposted on Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:04 am

If virtulisation was not supported then it would not have got that far. It should list the gateway and DNS servers after the "Double check your gateway and dns information" message. If you are not seeing anything there then that is your problem. This is more a networking problem, typically not having the right network adaptor type in the VM or having the VM network config wrong.
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:37 am

I'm using VMWare player, not server, maybe that is the problem. I'll try getting the server.
It does list the dns servers and gateway and they appear to be correct. I'm using the default bridged connection, however, I have tried all 3 type of networking and none of them work.
After the error, I'm not able to type anything; is there a way I can run ifconfig, ping, etc from the virtual
I'm going to try installing XP using virtual box just to make sure that I can get my networking to work on a virtual machine. I know it has in the past, but I had to recover from a bad sector that corrupted a system dll, I'm wondering if something still isn't quite right with my system.
TheClassic
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:09 pm

VMWare Player should work. There's no shell if it fails at that point, only if it gets further along and starts up properly. Even then it is very limited and only works if you have enabled it.
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Return to TR Distributed Computing Effort