Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

We need a stickied general purpose GPU2 client thread

Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:30 pm

I suppose it was thought that we already had enough people to advise about using GPU's for folding, and that there were threads around about it, but since the time when it was a big deal last summer such threads seem to have fallen by the wayside.

If someone made a thread explaining the idea, how it helps the science and how it helps team 2630 specifically, how easy it is to run and how it can be run temporarily and then shut down when the GPU owner is gaming on his computer, I think we could attract quite a few new folders to the cause. From there, other client software could be mentioned if new users show an interest, in other threads.

Also the information from several threads should be gathered into this one, including perhaps the environment variable changes/additions in Windows for ATi-based cards which optimize their production and whether similar changes do anything for nVidia-based cards.

If anyone wants to do that, I think we can probably get a Moderator/Administrator type to do the rest.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Re: We need a stickied general purpose GPU2 client thread

Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:33 pm

Someone really should write this thing. Someone with more patience than me. :wink:

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:41 pm

I'm not the right person for this, as I have not done any GPU folding myself (I run the Linux SMP client exclusively these days) and therefore don't have a good feel for what's decent information and what isn't. I'd be willing to help with editing/cleanup if someone else is willing to take point.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:35 pm

Maybe it would work best with two Gerbil Moderators. One with NVidia experience and another with ATI experience. :D
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:39 pm

Well, here's the first GPU folding thread I saw which got me interested in the idea, because of the good output and because I knew nVidia boards were often cheaper: NVIDIA 6.12 beta 6 GPU client Released!