Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Shinare
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Help: Windows XP SMP client not running

Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:40 pm

I had a vanilla MPICH SMP client running in a CMD box for a long time woring away just fine. It got an update from Microsoft last night which forced a reboot. However it got hung while rebooting and when I saw it this morning I had to physically power off the computer. When it came back up I can't get the SMP client to load. When I double click the shortcut the dos box blinks on and goes away immediately. Opening up a CMD and running the FAH executable results in a blank line and then back to C:\FAH prompt.

I did the following:
1) Deleted the work units
2) Uninstalled/Reinstalled the client
3) Downloaded the Deino SMP client version and installed it
4) Added the FAH directory to my AV's exclusions.

All resulted in the exact same behavior.

Anyone ever seen this, any ideas?
For with what measure you measure it will be measured to you.

Shinare
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Re: Help: Windows XP SMP client not running

Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:48 pm

Oh for heavens sakes, it was an expired client. You would think that if you downloaded the whole package from Stanford, that it would include the unexpired client and not need to download the drop-in replacement exe.
For with what measure you measure it will be measured to you.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:04 pm

Shinare wrote:
Oh for heavens sakes, it was an expired client. You would think that if you downloaded the whole package from Stanford, that it would include the unexpired client and not need to download the drop-in replacement exe.

I ran into the same problem 2 days ago when I dusted off the SMP client after months. Stupid fah.exe just quits with nothing about expiration or anything until I stare at the Stanford download page long enough to realize that. :oops:

Don't know why they did not package up a most up-to-date client is beyond me. No love for the SMP I suppose. :x
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:25 pm

Bunch of jerks is what they are. I did not use the word jerks. Mine rhymes with bass shoals.